sooner_15

Reaction score
So, unless we land some big big time recruits, we will be awful.

We need to get parts that fit not star players. Getting star players gave us the mess we got this year.

I am with Nick. Nothing will change if Capel brings in Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross. Those are two more "me first" type of guys that have been coddled throughout the recruiting process. Jones showed little to no defense and rebounding in the two games that I have watched him play.

We need JUCO bigs and prep bigs that want to be Sooners first and foremost. Guys that are mentally tough, that can rebound, that can defend, and that can catch passes from TMG. Aziz N'Diaye is obviously a guy that could fit the above criteria, but I want at least 3 bigs (4 if Tiny doesn't come back) to ensure that we can find one or two that can really help us next year. If that means that Kyle Hardrick and Ray Willis go somewhere else to play basketball so that we can have the correct number of ships, then so be it.

I also think it is important to get a defensive minded wing/combo guard. Tony Smith or Juwanza Poland seem like good possible fits to me.

This last half of the 2010 recruiting class is imo the most important class of Capel's young career at Oklahoma.

IF he doesn't find the right type of guys to build around TMG, Tiny, and Cam, then we will see no improvement next year.

I feel for Coach Capel because it is slim pickings out there due to the fact that most guys have already signed/committed, but on the other hand, he put himself in this position by chasing pipe dreams like Harrison Barnes instead of landing a guy like Keith Davis, Tobi Oyedeji, or Michael Cobbins. OU could have had all three of these players from the Texas area. Oyedeji would be just what the doctor ordered to start next to Tiny next year imo.

I feel like we are really coming to a crossroads next year regarding OU basketball....

We need to get parts that fit not star players. Getting star players gave us the mess we got this year.

How does Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc win with star players? It's an absolute joke that some people blame this on recruiting star players. You don't think a kid ranked #80 has been coddled his entire life? You don't think he's the man at his school and in his state? You don't think everyone is telling him how great he is? You don't think he's flying all over the country to the big camps and tourneys? Yes to all.
You've got to make sure you recruit kids that fit into your system and have the attitudes you want. And then you gotta discipline them and coach them up. That's the case whether it's the #2 player in the country or the #300 player in the country.

How does Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc win with star players?

They bring in 2-3 star recruits a season, EVERY season.

OU doesn't do that.

And they can cherry pick from the top talent that they want. They can go after the kids that are more polished, and don't need two years to develop.

I am with Nick. Nothing will change if Capel brings in Terrence Jones and Terrence Ross. Those are two more "me first" type of guys that have been coddled throughout the recruiting process. Jones showed little to no defense and rebounding in the two games that I have watched him play.

We need JUCO bigs and prep bigs that want to be Sooners first and foremost. Guys that are mentally tough, that can rebound, that can defend, and that can catch passes from TMG. Aziz N'Diaye is obviously a guy that could fit the above criteria, but I want at least 3 bigs (4 if Tiny doesn't come back) to ensure that we can find one or two that can really help us next year. If that means that Kyle Hardrick and Ray Willis go somewhere else to play basketball so that we can have the correct number of ships, then so be it.

I also think it is important to get a defensive minded wing/combo guard. Tony Smith or Juwanza Poland seem like good possible fits to me.

This last half of the 2010 recruiting class is imo the most important class of Capel's young career at Oklahoma.

IF he doesn't find the right type of guys to build around TMG, Tiny, and Cam, then we will see no improvement next year.

I feel for Coach Capel because it is slim pickings out there due to the fact that most guys have already signed/committed, but on the other hand, he put himself in this position by chasing pipe dreams like Harrison Barnes instead of landing a guy like Keith Davis, Tobi Oyedeji, or Michael Cobbins. OU could have had all three of these players from the Texas area. Oyedeji would be just what the doctor ordered to start next to Tiny next year imo.

I feel like we are really coming to a crossroads next year regarding OU basketball....

Agreed. Terrance and Terrance are both very talented, but putting them with these freshmen still leaves us with Cade and a bunch of young guys that could self destruct. Of course if Tiny and Willie are not here we may some some addition by subtraction in that area.

They bring in 2-3 star recruits a season, EVERY season.

I agree, that is the biggest difference. UNC is able to recruit a guy like Harrison Barnes hard just like we do, only they are able to land him in the end. Then Capel's sitting there empty-handed because he concentrated too much on the big fish instead of doing due diligence on the lesser fish as well. At least that is my interpretation of the current predicament.

The problem isn't the players, it's the system and the lack of players we have that can execute it. We can't bench TMG for not playing defense because their is no one behind him that can play defense either. We can't bench Tiny because Orlando Allen has the issues Tiny has times 20. Hardrick has those issues times 40. We can't bench WW because Ray Willis is a skinny 6'6 less productive version of WW. So as much as WW, TMG, Gallon, etc may be the problem, the guys behind them are equal. This is a systematic mess with blame that starts from the top with coaches, trainers, and fitness guys all the way down to the last practice guys on the bench. At this point I'm willing to see what Ryan Randolph has. I bet he has heart.

Last edited:
I agree, that is the biggest difference. UNC is able to recruit a guy like Harrison Barnes hard just like we do, only they are able to land him in the end. Then Capel's sitting there empty-handed because he concentrated too much on the big fish instead of doing due diligence on the lesser fish as well. At least that is my interpretation of the current predicament.

Yep you can't try and just get stars because we end up with a roster like we have now with 2 or 3 good players. And a bunch of guys that really shouldn't be playing the minutes they have to. Get the stars that are in the area you don't have to steal from a UNC or Duke or whatever. Maybe beat Kansas on a guy once in a while and get a lot of guys that can play right away and be good role players. We have very few role players on the roster right now.

Back