2012 HS Recruit, Philip Nolan

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
If you're among those who would prefer to see OU use one of their 2012 scholarships on a high school big, you'll be pleased to know that Kruger and crew are trying to get 6' 10" 200 PF, Philip Nolan, in for a visit.

Before you say he's too skinny or he's a three-star recruit, you should know that, according to Scout.com, he has already been offered by Baylor, Marquette and Texas. Several other schools are in on him.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4811242

In the article by Scout.com's, Evan Daniels, Nolan was quoted as saying that Oklahoma, Missouri and Minnesota are making the strongest push to get him in for a visit as soon as possible.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1163473.html

This kid sounds like a replacement for Henry.

i think henry will be ok. He has till aug to take classes. Henry is a 3/sf, nolan sounds like a REAL 4 man

I wonder if Henry will pay his own way for a semester if he is not ready to come to school until December? That might be the best of both worlds. Get this kid and get Henry. Returning experienced guys that belong in the Big XII will benefit this team in 2013/14.

I have zero problem with 3 star recruits if the coaches like them. OU and OSU have had plenty of guys that would be called 3 star recruits today that have had great careers. I susupect both Ryan Minor and Bryant Reeves would be 3 star recruits today. Reeves might be a zero star recruit because he really improved between his senior year and freshman year. Obviously if you can land the 5 star guy that is better but I don't put too much into the star ratings.

This kid sounds like a replacement for Henry.

I'd say you're right about next year. It doesn't necessarily mean that Henry is off the board for 2013 and beyond.

Found this highlight video on Nolan:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWFq7wCNkn0[/ame]

i think henry will be ok. He has till aug to take classes. Henry is a 3/sf, nolan sounds like a REAL 4 man

It doesn't matter about next year...We are set in the post. With Osby, Fitz, MBaye, and Arent...The only big men we bring in will be scrub minutes, injury minutes, or they will RS.

So if they see potential in these kids then I think its great to bring them in and even RS them.

I think OU needs a wing player that can score about 12-14 a game more than anything.

team this year lacks fire power

I think OU needs a wing player that can score about 12-14 a game more than anything.

Not exactly a whole lot of unsigned guys out there capable of scoring 12+ per game next season.

OU could always take a look at Shawn Smith. He committed to MU over the summer, but he never signed. Recently he's said on twitter that he's not coming here. Supposed to be a good scorer (said by at least one insider type that he was MU's best recruit). There might be too much overlap between his skillset and that of the guards you already have committed, though.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a scoring wing who can average in double fitures. But if M'Baye is as good as everyone who has seen him play seems to think, Kruger may feel he already has his man on campus. Posters here have said that Amath is capable of playing and scoring from three different positions, but will likely play a wing on offense. We shall see.

OU also has two pretty salty guards coming in next year, in 6' 1" Jelon Hornbeak and 6' 3" Buddy Hield. I saw Hornbeak play a few months ago and we very impressed. Hield looks good in the highlight videos I've seen. I think both will play, but really can't say how much they'll contribute their first season? But if one or both is good enough to earn meaningful minutes, the quality depth we are lacking this year should be improved.

OU also has two pretty salty guards coming in next year, in 6' 1" Jelon Hornbeak and 6' 3" Buddy Hield. .
Just goes to show you the wide variance of size listed for prospects as both are listed at 6'4 on Our prospects board and I have seen one of them (hornbeak,I think) listed at 6'6.

Hield, Hornbeak, M'Baye and Cam Clark are all potential guys to play the wing (although I think M'Baye is a post player). Cam is averaging about 13-14 points a game over the last 5 games and has scored at least 12 points in all of them.

I hope a transfer comes in like Osby and Mbaye did. Coaches will start moving so the kids want to move up or move for a fresh start.

Is anybody completely satisfied with Blair and Grooms at the point next year?
Henry sounds like the 2nd coming of Smoke Patterson who never made a whiff on the FB field at OU. He's coming, he's on the way, he never got here.
Doesn't OU need some force in the post. Who among the current players is going to jam the middle and make the opponents play honest in the paint?

Is anybody completely satisfied with Blair and Grooms at the point next year?

Not really, but we can't afford to use three scholarships on three point guards. Also, this late in the game, there is nobody better than Grooms available. Gotta make do, and hope we land a stud pg in the 2013 class.

Not really, but we can't afford to use three scholarships on three point guards. Also, this late in the game, there is nobody better than Grooms available. Gotta make do, and hope we land a stud pg in the 2013 class.

This.

Kruger is doing the right thing by targeting point guards in the 2013 class. Besides, if Grooms dedicates himself to improving his outside shot in the off season, he could be nearly everything we'll need next season from our starting point guard.

One would think that watching opponents defend him from twenty feet away would be all of the motivation he'd need to develop a shot from somewhere on the floor? Nothing difficult about it. It's called practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more until you can make a respectable percentage. The question is, is he dedicated enough to do it? We'll see.

Back