2015-16: Wealth of Experience + Talented Rookies

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Source: Player profiles at: http://www.soonersports.com/SportSe...1000&SPID=127260&SPSID=750394&DB_OEM_ID=31000

Stating the obvious, there is a sharp break on this team between the “experienced group” and the Division-1 “rookies.” The roster is heavy on seniors (4) and heavy on freshman (4). Regarding the experienced group, there is a wealth of experienced talent, as four players have all started every game together over the past two seasons (68 games).

Division-1 Career
Games Played – Started
100 - 82 ... Isaiah Cousins, Senior
_95 - 81 ... Buddy Hield, Senior
_90 - 68 ... Ryan Spangler, Senior
_68 - 68 ... Jordan Woodard. Junior
_34 - 0 ..... Khadeem Lattin, Sophomore
_34 - 0 ..... Dinjiyl Walker, Senior

Isaiah Cousins, Senior: Started every game as a sophomore and junior (68 combined) ... Needs 142 points to join 41-member 1,000-point club at OU ... Ranks fifth at OU in career 3-point field goal percentage (.405).

Buddy Hield, Senior: Started every game as a sophomore and junior (68 combined) ... Ranks 15th at OU with 1,366 points and fifth with 202 3-pointers ... Needs 57 3-pointers to tie school's all-time record ... Holds No. 4 and No. 7 spots on OU's single-season 3-pointers list (89 as a sophomore and 93 as a junior) ... His 182 treys the last two seasons are the most in a two-year span in OU history ... Has five career double-doubles.

Ryan Spangler, Senior: Played in 22 games as a freshman at Gonzaga. At Oklahoma, started every game as a sophomore and junior (68 combined) ... Needs 345 points to join 41-member 1,000-point club at OU ... Ranks second at OU in career field goal percentage (.582) and eighth in career rebounding average (8.8) ... Led Big 12 in rebounding as a sophomore and ranked second as a junior ... Has shot 50 percent or better in 55 of his 68 games at OU ... Has 17 career double-doubles.

Jordan Woodard, Junior: Started every game his first two seasons (68 combined) ... On pace to finish in top three in OU history in assists ... Owns a 1.9 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Khadeem Lattin, Sophomore: As a freshman, played in 34 of 35 games (all off the bench) ... Averaged 2.0 points and 3.2 rebounds in 11.9 minutes a contest.

Dinjiyl Walker, Senior: As a JUCO transfer, played in 34 games off the bench last season ... Averaged 3.3 points, 0.9 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 10.6 minutes a contest.

Then, there are these guys ...

Division-1 Rookies
> Akolda Manyang, Junior
> Dante Buford, RS-Freshman
> Jamuni McNease, RS-Freshman
> Christian James, Freshman
> Rashard Odomes, Freshman

This team will rely heavily on the experience of four seasoned starters, but the contributions of some of these rookies will help determine if 2015-16 is remembered as a special season. It should be fun to watch!

Last edited:
Buford's semester of practice is a big deal and makes him more like a juco guy in my opinion than a true freshman. Maybe saying juco is giving too much weight to that practice but I truly believe it is a big deal.

Buford's semester of practice is a big deal and makes him more like a juco guy in my opinion than a true freshman. Maybe saying juco is giving too much weight to that practice but I truly believe it is a big deal.

True; but, none of the "rookies" have been through the battles of big time college basketball. Practice sessions are tough and can be a battle, but there is nothing like real game experience in a big time conference like the Big-12.

The rookies also benefit from the excellent leadership of the three senior starters. Those guys work hard every day and lead by example.

I think Buford is going to be key to our success this year.

How has Isaiah played in 5 more games than Buddy? Was there a minor injury that I've forgotten about?

How has Isaiah played in 5 more games than Buddy? Was there a minor injury that I've forgotten about?

Buddys Freshman year, he got hurt in the TCU game @ the LNC and missed 5 games

Back