2018 Signing Class Thoughts

atlantasooner

Reaction score
First after much criticism (some deserved, some ??) recently, Sherri is poised to sign an excellent recruiting class which addresses issues both form a quality and quantity perspective. And all credit to Sherri and her assistants for rising their recruiting game.
It's a very good class that potentially gives OU a chance to address the previous talent gap that had developed between Baylor/UT and the Sooners. Combined with last year's smaller class, OU in 2018-2019 will have 3 legit playmakers on their roster for the first time since the last final four run.
We are starting to see how good/sky high potential from Ana Llanusa. And IMHO based on rankings/reviews/video, OU has two players equal to Ana's potential in
Madison Williams and Tatum Veitenheimer (going to have to get that spelling right).
MadisonWilliams could be an elite SF/Big Wing. If OU were to play small ball she could even play some PF if need be.
Tatum is a pure combo guard who could excel at the point or at 2 guard.
The 3 stars could be interchangeable depending upon matchups who else is proving that they need to start.
OU badly needed height in this class. And signed two post players.
Just like Pellington looks like a steal at PG. I think OU got a massive steal from the state of Florida in Nyia Lampkin. Presuming the 6-3 reported height is right. OU got a great looking PF/C athlete in Lampkin. She looks better than Vivi did in HS, shows end to end athleticism on the court with excellent scoring skills. I'll be honest on tape she looks more like a top 50 type player.
Aspen Williston is bit more of a project. But she's a legit 6-4/6-5. Has good mobility for her size and there are definitely tools to work with.
The last two verbals are
Taylor Robertson Kansas player of the year. Robertson has been a very productive scorer/shooter. At a minimum she's a score/shooter off the bench. In addition, Taylor looks pretty comfortable playing 2 guard or some PG.
Jessi Murcer fits in the same mold but has not garnered the same kinds of awards about her play. Great scorer/shooter in HS just like Robertson.
With so many newcomers next year, I hope Sherri has an overseas trip slot available getting a jump start on integrating all these new pieces would be ideal.

2019 recruiting is already in full swing. There are positive signs that OU could make it 3 classes in a row with at least one elite impact prospect.

Agreed. By this time next year OU will be loaded like it hasn't been in nearly 10 years.

Sherri has stepped it up big time. She's utilizing Twitter. Being really aggressive, going after a bit of a different player, I think.

On a completely sexist note, it looked like Sherri had dropped a few pounds last night, not that she was every overweight. But that a fanny looked great and slimmed down.

Sorry, guys. Had to say it.

Williams should be a future start at OU, I like what I've seen in highlights of Dee, and Tatum plays really smart and with good defensive skills... I agree Aspen could be a bit of a project, I think our future center will be found in the 2019 class. Robertson could be used as a lights out shooter off the bench, something OU hasn't had in a while a shooter with consistency. Murcer sounds like a leader and I think she will compete for playing time early on...

From what I've seen from Williams and Lampkins they look like they like to score, and are willing to shoot the ball... Some of our kids hold the ball to long and don't get into scoring position...

Rokia Doumbia hasn't committed to a school yet, even tho I think our class will remain at 6, its possible she could still pick OU, her skills would help the team and even tho listed at 5'9 she could play some small forward in college.

Unless and until this staff really concentrates on defense and rebounding no matter who we sign we will finish below where we should.

Mac,
Murcer at a minimum could be a key role player. As long as you have stars at other spots, no issue with recruiting key reserves, having an improved bench.

SoonerSports.com has posted their recruiting stories on:

Men's basketball
Baseball
Softball
Men's Gymnastics
Women's Gymnastics

But, not in Women's basketball.

Is the story not complete?

SoonerSports.com has posted their recruiting stories on:

Men's basketball
Baseball
Softball
Men's Gymnastics
Women's Gymnastics

But, not in Women's basketball.

Is the story not complete?

I think well see a story tomorrow

Four have not yet signed:

#1 Christyne Williams: likely UConn or S Carolina
#4 Olivia Nelson-Ododa
#53 Stephanie Soares
#90 Rokia Doumbia----OU offered.

Unless and until this staff really concentrates on defense and rebounding no matter who we sign we will finish below where we should.

Thanks for your comment. But how about we don't rag on a new class until we see them play. Please.

Just watched video highlights of the prospects. Somewhat in awe. These are not typical Sooner women's recruits.

Agree that Williams and Veitenheimer are blue chippers. Ready to contribute immediately. Love Tatum's mid range pull up jumper. Hope they fit it in to OU's offensive game. If Gabbi had developed that shot she would have been more effective at the point. She could always penetrate some but usually backed off as they were laying back to stop her drive. Had she just pulled up for an easy jumper they would have had to play her much different.

Lampkin a taller Nye Stevenson? Lots of upside potential, very athletic and probably needs to develop her overall game. May be one of the best in the long run. Could become a more athletic Leah Rush.

Robertson suprised me with her overall game. Expected a long range shooter only. She is clearly a gym rat and has really developed an array of stop and gos and change of pace to get to the hoop. May be the sleeper of the class.

Murcer has always been one of my favorites. She looked to have a pretty complete game as a freshman and was impressive as a soph. I was not as impressed with her in the one game I saw last year. Looked slower but in fairness she may have already had injury problems and she was draped with defenders wherever she went. They had no one else. She seems to be a tough competitor and probably has more upside than Sharene Campbell-Olds had when she came to OU.

Williston is clearly a project. Don't know her background but she looks inexperienced. Hesitant and usually a step away from where an experienced player would be. But you don't teach that kind of size and she does move pretty well for that size. I didn't watch the whole game so she may have done better later.

Now if we can just land that big girl from Canada that played with Pellington.

I find it interesting that this class has a name, "NextGen."

It is interesting that Maddie, a six-year veteran and survivor, Vivi, Gabbi, and LaNesia are the last of this generation. Mandy, Ana, and Shaina are really more associated with the NextGen class, spending three years together. It is rather fascinating how the pieces intertwine.

I think Atlanta is right. Nydia is a lot better than a #150 ranking. I don't see her as a post but as a power forward. It would not be surprising to see a different type of interior with a faster team. North Carolina had some good teams with a bunch of power forwards without a center. Nydia may be a bit raw, but she can elevate and move. She can be the first down court on a fast break.

I don't have an idea of Williston. I have seen little of her and against less than stellar opposition. She seems fairly athletic for a post, and she has size. Just get rebounds and block shots. I think the offense can come from elsewhere. We may have another post or two coming in between now and the end of the 2019 recruiting class.

I know that Taylor isn't highly rated. But, if someone can hit 59% of their threes in highschool ball, I don't care who they played. Most can't hit that in practice. If you have someone who can hit 59% from the arc, you have to put a defender on the arc, regardless of what is inside. On open 59% three point shooter is a better risk than a free throw shooter or a forward shooting layups (except that she also hits more than 90% from the line). I don't care if she is slow, you have to get out there---away from the rim, to defend her. Her shooting statistics are phenomenal.

Tatum is the type who would fight a bull without a cape or sword. That is difficult to beat. Had a cousin like that. Let a bull charge at her and stepped aside, letting the bull run into a post. Took about twenty minutes. Bull collapsed in exhaustion.

Madison is more like Ana---just flows to shoot. We are getting the scorers that I have wanted since Courtney's team lost to Wiggins.

All of these parts fit. I think we can play with anyone with this crowd.

Back