7.7pts 5.2rbs 1.2bks in Meac vs. 8.8pt 4.5rbs .7bks in Swac

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Those are the comparison between Matt Pilgrim, a coveted transfer for OSU who is projected as a Starter vs. Barry Honore, the prefered walkon at OU. Now, Pilgrim is supposed to have the most upside. He's taller and more conditioned. He also has a redshirt year under his belt at Kentucky. But to me, its interesting fodder for how two different programs perceive guys that basically come from the worst conferences in America and have almost identical stats. Pilgrim is suppose to be a savior for OSU who had big concerns in the post. When Honore was thought to be a scholarship athlete, alot of OU fans thought the sky was falling. Now is this a case of us OU fans getting too big for our britches? I don't know. I do think Coach Capel has raised the expectations in recruting to a much higher standard. But at the same time, are OSU fans sunshine pumping a guy who basically was cut by Kentucky. Kentucky chose to keep a stiff that averaged 3pts and 9 minutes over Pilgrim. Something Atypical of Calipari who generally goes for the more athletic player.

A lot of OsU fans have a warped sense of reality. It's more evident in football, but it applies to basketball as well. We've dominated them historically and recently, it shouldn't really be that different in recruiting should it?

I remember the discussion, but did Honore end up getting a scholarship or is he walking on? Thanks in advance.

Pilgrim also averaged 11 and 5 his freshman season, and averaged his sophomore year numbers in 19 minutes a game. You do the math out to the 26 minutes Honore played that's 10.1 points and 6.8 rebounds.

His main problem from what I've read is lack of consistent effort, and playing time being cut by his horrific foul rate. By all accounts he's got all of the tools physicality wise. And I also don't think it's a coincidence that Memphis, Cincinnati and Maryland were all going after the guy. That and Gillispie, all his problems aside is a hell of a coach wanted him on his team.

There's also the "rave reviews" from Kentucky fans, but I don't put any stock into those, since that was a weird two year period for them, and they were eating their own, building up the next Kentucky messiah.

All the guy has to be is solid, and he's a huge help to the team.

I think him going against Patrick Patterson for a year and that redshirt year make the difference here. I don't anyone is thinking hes going to lead the team in scoring or rebounding for that matter. Hes going to be another 5 fouls, take some pressure off of moses, and be more viable than both brown and kirkland combined.

I think him going against Patrick Patterson for a year and that redshirt year make the difference here. I don't anyone is thinking hes going to lead the team in scoring or rebounding for that matter. Hes going to be another 5 fouls, take some pressure off of moses, and be more viable than both brown and kirkland combined.

Now that's an argument that I can buy. It will be an argument made easier with the lack of Blake Griffin, a guy that would foul out two or three cowboys with ease. I don't buy the argument that he's going to be a starter or provide low post scoring.

Patrick Patterson called Pilgrim a beast during practices. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement.

Patrick Patterson called Pilgrim a beast during practices. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement.

But then he wasn't good enough for Cal to want to keep him. You would think if he truely was a beast that he would be figuring into the UK rotation this year. Just thought I would give you other side of the Patterson beast coin. :D

Just gives OsU another 5 fouls that they would have used to cheap-shot Blake, but now will use to cheap-shot Gallon

Well essentially cal never got to fully see what pilgrim could do. That is not to say he didn't talk to players and people who've seen him practice or didn't watch him work out himself. But pilgrim was on the team for what, a couple of weeks at most after cal took over.

He will be more than 5 fouls, but how much more is definitely up for debate. I've heard some good things about him in pick up games and individual work outs up to now (I know, I know more pick up game hype.)

Well essentially cal never got to fully see what pilgrim could do. That is not to say he didn't talk to players and people who've seen him practice or didn't watch him work out himself. But pilgrim was on the team for what, a couple of weeks at most after cal took over.

He will be more than 5 fouls, but how much more is definitely up for debate. I've heard some good things about him in pick up games and individual work outs up to now (I know, I know more pick up game hype.)

Yeah, Cal sucks at evaluating players.

Back