#8 in the past 31 yrs...

Edmond_Sooner

Reaction score
Everyone always looks at OU from the outside and says "yea, but it's a football school"...

At least that is what all my friends are saying about what our expectations should be...they think a coach here can get by with just being over .500 and getting to the tourney every other year...

I showed them this...

8. Oklahoma Sooners (+15.53 SRS)

Record: 710-303 (.701)
Prominent Coaches: Billy Tubbs, Kelvin Sampson
Best NCAA Finish: Lost NCAA Final (1988)

Think Oklahoma is just a football school? Think again. Ever since Billy Tubbs took over in 1981, the Sooners have boomed their way to 22 NCAA tournament appearances, 695 wins (23 per season), and 2 Final Fours, including a run to the 1988 NCAA final against Kansas. Tubbs' successors, Kelvin Sampson and Jeff Capel have carried the torch as well; despite the way he departed, Sampson racked up ten 20-win seasons, while Capel promptly rode Blake Griffin to 30 wins in his 3rd year at the helm.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8212

YA, i like that last sentence in there.. i see what they did there

I know being second fiddle has kept some coaches from coming to OU.

I'll tell you the same thing that we tell other fans of programs during the fall... show me the trophies.

I'll tell you the same thing that we tell other fans of programs during the fall... show me the trophies.

you dont measure football and basketball the same way. winning an NC in basketball is MUCH harder.

you dont measure football and basketball the same way. winning an NC in basketball is MUCH harder.

This! I wish the Sooners can win just 1 National Championship, just 1! Although more would be better!

Back