About TMG...

elmocarp

Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of people on this board seem to me either unsure of what to expect from Tommie this year or seem to think that he will have a pretty average year. I'm not really sure what to think, but I find it strange that after years of begging for a point guard, we finally get a Burger Boy at the one and there isn't much excitement about it. So what's the deal? What do you guys think his impact will be?

I think his shooting will be what makes us a very good team this year. Other teams will contend with Willie and TC on the perimeter, both of whom can make shots. Tiny will provide some beef around the basket...

But TMG's shooting will keep defenses honest, make them play defense all the way out to the NBA line. That's going to open things up for Willie and TOny.

I'm just hoping that his reputation for penetrating is accurate. When have we had someone who teams had to take the ability to penetrate into account? Nolan Johnson I guess. I got so tired last year watching every so-and-so in the whole league go past our front line to the basket. It looked like a lay-up drill out there. He might even be able to stop some of that.

I agree with what pnkranger said. I also think TMG will give us another guard who is capable of putting pressure on defenses with his ability to penetrate and dish or finish at the rim. He may need a few games under his belt to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game. But I believe he will add a dimension at the point position that we haven't seen since Quannas White.

That is in no way meant as a knock on AJ, who was, and will continue to be one of my favorite Sooners. Austin simply was not built for creating off the dribble and taking hits inside. Besides, he never came to OU to play the point in the first place. TMG is a true point guard in every sense of the word. I'm excited about what he will bring to our program the next four years.

It seems to me that a lot of people on this board seem to me either unsure of what to expect from Tommie this year or seem to think that he will have a pretty average year. I'm not really sure what to think, but I find it strange that after years of begging for a point guard, we finally get a Burger Boy at the one and there isn't much excitement about it. So what's the deal? What do you guys think his impact will be?

Who in the world has said tmg is an average player!? Dude is a stud... He is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes but I have not seen one person say he is average... This thread should be deleted before one of our players see it! Pointless thread that is completely false

It's funny you say this because today I found myself getting excited about this kids potential when in the past I didn't expect more than about 8pts and 3 assist initially.

Who was the last true point guard at OU? Capel hasn't had one and sampson's last few year I don't think OU had a true point guard. I am excited to see what Capel will do with TMG.

I was excited that he signed with OU and I still am. I just think the reason we are cautious is his height. If he were 6-1, I dont think anybody would be unsure. But it's hard to know if guys like Eaton, Lavender, Jai Lucas or anybody else that is vertically challenged will be able to make up for their lack of height with the skills that they have.

Even watching that one on one video with Ray Willis the other day, (the one where WW called him Papa Smurf) I found myself thinking, man, if Ray Willis can block his shot like that I wonder if he can hang in the Big 12 driving in against 6-10 big men all day. I know it was a huge adjustment for Eaton. It took him 3-4 years to stop driving in and getting his shot blocked all the time.

The other reason I think people are unsure about his role THIS season is that Willie Warren keeps talking about having the ball in his hands more this year and joking about running the point. It makes me wonder if TMG is going to be the starting PG all year or if WW will be some of the time.

Last edited:
Who in the world has said tmg is an average player!? Dude is a stud... He is a freshman and will make freshman mistakes but I have not seen one person say he is average... This thread should be deleted before one of our players see it! Pointless thread that is completely false

Dude, what is your problem? I'm am seriously sorry if there was something about the initial post that came across as negative to you, but I re-read it and I honestly can't see what the heck you're getting at.

There have been numerous debates over the last couple of months about whether Willie will be the starting point guard or not. Another thread projected what TMG's stats would be and the consensus was what Dirty just mentioned, about 8 and 3. People have worried about everything from his conditioning to the way he played in the McDonald's game.

As far as deleting the thread, I am certainly not an admin so I don't know what the criteria is for that, but what in the world is here that is worthy of deletion? And what is this garbage about "before one of our players sees it"? What planet do you live on? Before one of our players sees it? Seriously? All I did was point out that most of the people around here have been reserved in their expectations for TMG this year and ask them to elaborate/explain their points of view.

Message boards are hard enough to stomach without crap like you just threw out there. I have a feeling this thread will get deleted, because if I have to read much more stuff like that from you I'll almost certainly break some board rules in responding. Seriously, guys like you make it seems pointless to even try to have discussions on here.

I was excited that he signed with OU and I still am. I just think the reason we are cautious is his height. If he were 6-1, I dont think anybody would be unsure. But it's hard to know if guys like Eaton, Lavender, Jai Lucas or anybody else that is vertically challenged will be able to make up for their lack of height with the skills that they have.

Even watching that one on one video with Ray Willis the other day, (the one where WW called him Papa Smurf) I found myself thinking, man, if Ray Willis can block his shot like that I wonder if he can hang in the Big 12 driving in against 6-10 big men all day. I know it was a huge adjustment for Eaton. It took him 3-4 years to stop driving in and getting his shot blocked all the time.

The other reason I think people are unsure about his role THIS season is that Willie Warren keeps talking about having the ball in his hands more this year and joking about running the point. It makes me wonder if TMG is going to be the starting PG all year or if WW will be some of the time.

Great post, thanks for the well thought out response.

I don't recall anyone who called TMG average either, lucky. More accurately, a few have suggested that we may be expecting too much out of a true freshman this season.

I agree with that, in part. But TMG has faced tough competition before, and he met most of those challenges with a determination and skill set that earned him a number of honors, including being selected to the Mickey D and Jordan Classic games. I fully expect him to continue that trend in college. OU fans just have to be patient if he doesn't play like a veteran in the first few games.

I agree with what pnkranger said. I also think TMG will give us another guard who is capable of putting pressure on defenses with his ability to penetrate and dish or finish at the rim. He may need a few games under his belt to adjust to the speed and physicality of the college game. But I believe he will add a dimension at the point position that we haven't seen since Quannas White.

That is in no way meant as a knock on AJ, who was, and will continue to be one of my favorite Sooners. Austin simply was not built for creating off the dribble and taking hits inside. Besides, he never came to OU to play the point in the first place. TMG is a true point guard in every sense of the word. I'm excited about what he will bring to our program the next four years.
I respectfully disagree. ;)

Dude, what is your problem? I'm am seriously sorry if there was something about the initial post that came across as negative to you, but I re-read it and I honestly can't see what the heck you're getting at.

There have been numerous debates over the last couple of months about whether Willie will be the starting point guard or not. Another thread projected what TMG's stats would be and the consensus was what Dirty just mentioned, about 8 and 3. People have worried about everything from his conditioning to the way he played in the McDonald's game.

As far as deleting the thread, I am certainly not an admin so I don't know what the criteria is for that, but what in the world is here that is worthy of deletion? And what is this garbage about "before one of our players sees it"? What planet do you live on? Before one of our players sees it? Seriously? All I did was point out that most of the people around here have been reserved in their expectations for TMG this year and ask them to elaborate/explain their points of view.

Message boards are hard enough to stomach without crap like you just threw out there. I have a feeling this thread will get deleted, because if I have to read much more stuff like that from you I'll almost certainly break some board rules in responding. Seriously, guys like you make it seems pointless to even try to have discussions on here.

Who has been worried about how he played in the mcdonalds all American game?? I think I must hAve missed those threads.... The mcdonalds game means nothing.... All I have seen from everyone is how lucky we are to have tmg and the fact that he will prob be with us for four years.... The people that have thought Warren would be our pg has not been knocking tmg... All of people think Warren mAy be the pg simply because that is what he will play in the pro's and caple may want to show him off at that position...

You probably have to go back to the Tubbs' era to find a true pg. Contrary to what is often posted, QW was not one. And I'll go on record as saying a "true pg" is overrated. The game has evolved, and depending on the style of play you are looking to run, and the other players, having a true pg isn't nearly as necessary as it once was to be sucessful.

IMO of course.

You probably have to go back to the Tubbs' era to find a true pg. Contrary to what is often posted, QW was not one. And I'll go on record as saying a "true pg" is overrated. The game has evolved, and depending on the style of play you are looking to run, and the other players, having a true pg isn't nearly as necessary as it once was to be sucessful.

IMO of course.

John Ontjes, Michael Johnson, Q, and Drew Lav all wonder why you forgot about them. (Q was a true pg imo).

I'm very excited about TMG. He is a true point guard whose strength allows him to penetrate and get his shot. I caution fans on this board to not judge this young man after two or three games. Once he makes the transition, which I really feel that he will. He will be just fine. I expect him to start shining somewhere close to mid-season. However, it is great for our team to have someone with TMG's ability and potential on our team. GO TMG! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I'm very excited about TMG. He is a true point guard whose strength allows him to penetrate and get his shot. I caution fans on this board to not judge this young man after two or three games. Once he makes the transition, which I really feel that he will. He will be just fine. I expect him to start shining somewhere close to mid-season. However, it is great for our team to have someone with TMG's ability and potential on our team. GO TMG! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Elmo,

This post sums up my feelings regarding TMG. I think that some of us just don't want too large of expectations to be put on a true freshman PG. It is a tough position to come in right away and excel (it even took Rose a month or two to really look good). The other problem is that the Big 12 is full of very talented PGs this year (Collins, Roberson, Clemente, Sloan, Texas has several, ect...) and OU is fortunate to have WW who will share some of the PG duties.

All that said, I expect TMG to start and to make an impact during year one. He will really help us as a jump shooter, as he can hit from deep at a good clip.

I think that some of us just don't want too large of expectations to be put on a true freshman PG. It is a tough position to come in right away and excel (it even took Rose a month or two to really look good). The other problem is that the Big 12 is full of very talented PGs this year (Collins, Roberson, Clemente, Sloan, Texas has several, ect...) and OU is fortunate to have WW who will share some of the PG duties.

All that said, I expect TMG to start and to make an impact during year one. He will really help us as a jump shooter, as he can hit from deep at a good clip.

^
This

If TMG can break down a defense and get into the lane, he will be effective regardless how many points he scores.

I don't think he will have the kind of impact this year that Tiny Gallon will have, but I think he will contribute a lot sharing time in the back court with Warren, Davis, Willis and Pledger and there will be times when his range will be a huge asset for the team.

With that said, how often do you all anticipate TMG and Warren being out on the court together this season? I would think his overall impact depends a lot on how much Willie plays the role of point guard.

Back