Adjustments...what can Lon do?

stormspencer

Reaction score
It seems that teams have caught up to Lon's schemes...at least more recently. So what adjustments can he make? Personally, I really liked it when this team was moving the ball well for a little stretch earlier in conference. Another thing I've noticed is that this team is below average when they pull up for jumpers on the break or in transition....I would much prefer they took the ball to the basket or pull it out. Doo annoys me a bit in these instances when he pulls up for a long 2 or 3 without a single pass in the possession. And yes I know, sometimes he makes the shot.....but I don't think that makes it a good shot regardless. And in these same situations, we have absolutely no one even close to having a shot at the rebound....it's rec-league ball.....it's low bball IQ and poor court awareness.

I can give you three teams that have made adjustments in this league and are faring better over the last few weeks:
  • OSU - playing more inside out on offense and trapping more on defense.
  • Tech - I've noticed they drive and kick a little more out of their motion offense than they were doing earlier in the year.
  • Texas - since Sims injury, they have gone to small ball more and have attempted to put as many shooters/scorers on the floor as possible. And they also aren't playing at quite the snails pace as they have for most of the year.

We repeatedly hear how much of an offensive guru that Lon is, yet I've only seen an occasional adjustment to our offensive scheme this year. Maybe they are happening more frequently and I just don't see them. But I don't even really know what our identity is anyway...outside of going to isolation at times. Having said all of that, with the pieces we have......what can Lon do?

Lon’s offense is predicated on having 2 guys at least that can create on their own.

From what I’ve seen for the last 5/6/7 yrs... however long he’s been here.

Ut currently beating wv...

Not sure we cancan do anything but hope manek, doo and reaves are “on”.

Realistically, how many more years will Lon coach at OU?

Realistically, how many more years will Lon coach at OU?

His contract expires after next season. No way he gets an extension with the recent results. If he wants to continue coaching he will have to move on. The timing is unfortunate with the good crop of recruits available in state in 2021. But one of the good ones already got away so it might be a moot point anyway.

I think Lon sent his son away for a reason. Who knew his time was going to be up soon.

Look at the recruits for this 2020-2021. What on earth?! I don't even think OU has a player listed in the top 100.

I think Lon sent his son away for a reason. Who knew his time was going to be up soon.

Look at the recruits for this 2020-2021. What on earth?! I don't even think OU has a player listed in the top 100.

Idk he may retire but 2020 was 1 man class. Only 2nd option was Bryce out of HS.

2021 could be top 10.

His contract expires after next season. No way he gets an extension with the recent results. If he wants to continue coaching he will have to move on. The timing is unfortunate with the good crop of recruits available in state in 2021. But one of the good ones already got away so it might be a moot point anyway.

i bet he has an extention before this summer is over

How can you say there’s no way he gets extended? I would bet joe c would rather extend him than spending the time and money to find a new coach. Not many coaches want the OU job because there’s very little support for the program.

How can you say there’s no way he gets extended? I would bet joe c would rather extend him than spending the time and money to find a new coach. Not many coaches want the OU job because there’s very little support for the program.

Well, $3mil/yr jobs don't grow on trees. I guarantee there would be a long list of coaches interested. And Joe would probably be able to save a $mil over a 3-4 year contract because he might not pay the new guy as much as Lon.
But don't fear the unknown. It'll be alright. There will be lots of interest in the job. There are 347 coaches in div 1 and about 330 of them make less than Lon. About 300 of them are at worse programs. And all of them think they can do better than Lon. That's the way coaches are.
And that's not even counting the hundreds of assistants.

Last edited:
Well, $3mil/yr jobs don't grow on trees. I guarantee there would be a long list of coaches interested. And Joe would probably be able to save a $mil over a 3-4 year contract because he might not pay the new guy as much as Lon.
But don't fear the unknown. It'll be alright. There will be lots of interest in the job. There are 347 coaches in div 1 and about 330 of them make less than Lon. About 300 of them are at worse programs. And all of them think they can do better than Lon. That's the way coaches are.

we disagree a lot but we are 100% in agreement here ..

347 might think they can, but maybe 30-40 could. And who knows if you can get the 2-4 that would be willing to leave their current situation for OU.

I disagree. We're still a top-25ish program. But even if we don't go get a proven, veteran coach, Joe C. gets paid a lot of money to find the next up-and-coming coach. Tubbs wasn't some well known, established veteran coach when he came to OU. Nor was Kelvin. Those two both worked out. Capel wasn't either. He didn't work out. Lon was brought in to clean up Capel's mess and keep us off any significant probation. He's done that. But I think it's clear that he isn't going to accomplish at OU what most OU fans want our program to accomplish year to year.

But I also know that Joe C. had to practically beg Lon to take the job, so he isn't going to run him out of town, especially if we're making the Tourney. Even if we're getting in be the skin of our teeth. And I get that. And it's why it feels like OU basketball is stuck in mediocrity, and might be for a few more years.

Rough estimate probably closer to 20 but just for arguments sake with the pessimistic people on the board. I also said maybe could.

It's an unknowable number, don't kid yourself. There's no way to even estimate it accurately.

I disagree. We're still a top-25ish program. But even if we don't go get a proven, veteran coach, Joe C. gets paid a lot of money to find the next up-and-coming coach. Tubbs wasn't some well known, established veteran coach when he came to OU. Nor was Kelvin. Those two both worked out. Capel wasn't either. He didn't work out. Lon was brought in to clean up Capel's mess and keep us off any significant probation. He's done that. But I think it's clear that he isn't going to accomplish at OU what most OU fans want our program to accomplish year to year.

But I also know that Joe C. had to practically beg Lon to take the job, so he isn't going to run him out of town, especially if we're making the Tourney. Even if we're getting in be the skin of our teeth. And I get that. And it's why it feels like OU basketball is stuck in mediocrity, and might be for a few more years.

I agree with you. I also think we have a top 20ish program and I believe we can do better. However, the last 2 hires we had trouble attracting top coaches. As you said, Capel was a failure and Joe had to beg Lon to come here. That gives me pause about the next coaching search. That’s not a reason to keep Lon, I think he needs to retire, but it certainly is a valid concern.

Furthermore, I think there is still untapped potential within this program. Given the full support of what resources we have, I think we could elevate the program even more. I know football is always #1 here, but if we ever plan on having a championship basketball team, we need to invest more into the program.

I agree with you. I also think we have a top 20ish program and I believe we can do better. However, the last 2 hires we had trouble attracting top coaches. As you said, Capel was a failure and Joe had to beg Lon to come here. That gives me pause about the next coaching search. That’s not a reason to keep Lon, I think he needs to retire, but it certainly is a valid concern.

Furthermore, I think there is still untapped potential within this program. Given the full support of what resources we have, I think we could elevate the program even more. I know football is always #1 here, but if we ever plan on having a championship basketball team, we need to invest more into the program.

I think you're misrepresenting the facts. Yes Joe supposedly had to beg Lon to come here. But it wasn't because it's a bad job or because no one else was interested.

I tend to agree with all that's been said, with one exception. Capel was a failure b/c he was a cheater, etc., but he was also a top, top up and coming coach and a guy with a proven track record at VCU (79-41). So my point is that this IS an attractive job to those on the outside, and one that a top up and coming guy would be very interested in.

Back