Adjustments...what can Lon do?

This is on the Board and Joe C. The seating in Lloyd Noble is terrible but no plans to renovate or build a new facility. Kansas, Duke, UNC, OSU....seat are tight to the court and stacked high. This is what OU needs to do. At least renovate the floor seating so more seats are closer to the court.

The seating is as good as it gets, architecturally speaking.
There's nothing that can be done other than gut the entire inside and re-do the slopes/angles from scratch.

Even for the pullout bleacher seating behind the court side seats.

This is on the Board and Joe C. The seating in Lloyd Noble is terrible but no plans to renovate or build a new facility. Kansas, Duke, UNC, OSU....seat are tight to the court and stacked high. This is what OU needs to do. At least renovate the floor seating so more seats are closer to the court.

lol, it isn't the gym that makes KU a tough place to play, it's the crowd. OU football can't even get their crowds to act like that (except in a few instances), so I'm fairly certain a new basketball arena, no matter how fan friendly, isn't going to turn our fans into rabid basketball fans.

Even for the pullout bleacher seating behind the court side seats.

Yeah, even for those. But it doesn't really matter. You could put those seats 2 inches from the court, put a half dozen old people in them, and you really haven't accomplished much.

It's easy to win at OU, in my opinion. You just have to know how to recruit at OU. It's a unique school for recruiting. So is Oklahoma State.

Those who don't understand it, or refuse to abide by the rules, do so at their own peril.

Do I know how? Yes.

lol, it isn't the gym that makes KU a tough place to play, it's the crowd. OU football can't even get their crowds to act like that (except in a few instances), so I'm fairly certain a new basketball arena, no matter how fan friendly, isn't going to turn our fans into rabid basketball fans.

Disagree completely. No better proof than the Reynolds Center in Tulsa. Put 5,000 old people in sweaters in the Reynolds Center, and it is LOUD and the environment is good. Put 8,000 people and its electric.

They don't have ANY rabid fans. It's the gym.

I half agree with this. Lol! Pile our fans courtside currently and not much is different. However, it would be louder and more involved, which I would hope would energize the crowd more. The space in Lloyd Noble is an energy killer. You start a spark in a tighter packed facility and the energy will grow. Our fans don't need to be fanatics....they just need to be a little more vocal. Plus a little more energy might draw more fans as well.

Did anyone go the games they had a McCasland Field House a couple years ago? How was the energy? It only seats around 5,000 I believe.

KU is great at home because they have the better players.

Disagree completely. No better proof than the Reynolds Center in Tulsa. Put 5,000 old people in sweaters in the Reynolds Center, and it is LOUD and the environment is good. Put 8,000 people and its electric.

They don't have ANY rabid fans. It's the gym.

Loud doesn't automatically equal intimidating. Rowdy does though. People aren't scared to play TU at the Reynolds Center because it's well built acoustically.

But if you fill LNC, as the fans are actually rowdy, that is an intimidating place to play. We see it from time to time.

My comparison to ku was the fans...THAT'S what kids want to play in front of.

Yeah, they have better players...but I'm talking about the atmosphere at Phog...it's actually really cool. It is built for basketball and basketball only.

Also not very easy to access. On campus arenas may be better for students, but not for out of town fans like me.

duh. the idea of using the on-campus place is specifically to attract the students Ada. nobody cares about our old bohunks! they want fresh blood in there.

maybe Lon could try screaming at a couple of them?

duh. the idea of using the on-campus place is specifically to attract the students Ada. nobody cares about our old bohunks! they want fresh blood in there.

Oh, I know, Coolm. Doesn’t mean we should roll over and accept our fate without saying anything. If the students were making more of an effort to attend games now, I would applaud a move to an on-campus arena and shut my ancient trap. But, to be honest I have my doubts if that would make much of a difference.

All of these problems kind of solve themselves when you put a different kind of team on the floor.... You start competing for the Big 12 championship, going into the tournament with a bang and not on crutches, etc and it will steadily grow.

I still think they should be a real basketball arena regardless, and that will only help, but right now team performance is the problem.

Last edited:
Back