Adjustments...what can Lon do?

I tend to agree with all that's been said, with one exception. Capel was a failure b/c he was a cheater, etc., but he was also a top, top up and coming coach and a guy with a proven track record at VCU (79-41). So my point is that this IS an attractive job to those on the outside, and one that a top up and coming guy would be very interested in.

I think it's becoming less and less attractive as our facility ages and the administration proves it doesn't really care about the basketball program. If the athletic department/administration can come up with a plan that includes upgrading or building a new facility and a plan to put butts in the seats and present it to coaching candidates, maybe they can make the job more attractive.

I think it's becoming less and less attractive as our facility ages and the administration proves it doesn't really care about the basketball program. If the athletic department/administration can come up with a plan that includes upgrading or building a new facility and a plan to put butts in the seats and present it to coaching candidates, maybe they can make the job more attractive.

I think this is so sad...and so true. I definitely agree with you in this regard.

It's an unknowable number, don't kid yourself. There's no way to even estimate it accurately.

You can have a decent idea if you watch other teams play, who coached under who, basketball background, & the direction coaches are taking their programs. So I'll kid myself if I choose.

I also put stock in running a clean program. Bruce Pearl is probably a better coach than Lon, but I wouldn't want him running a program I root for.

Last edited:
You can have a decent idea if you watch other teams play, who coached under who, basketball background, & the direction coaches are taking their programs. So I'll kid myself if I choose.

I also put stock in running a clean program. Bruce Pearl is probably a better coach than Lon, but I wouldn't want him running a program I root for.

So there are only 40 coaches in the entire country, max, that could coach OU to a .500 conference record in 8 seasons? If true, OU is a tougher job than is commonly thought.

I'd bet my left nut it's not though.

Joe C isn’t going to run Lon off. He has a much bigger problem with the women’s program that needs to be dealt with first. JMHO

So there are only 40 coaches in the entire country, max, that could coach OU to a .500 conference record in 8 seasons? If true, OU is a tougher job than is commonly thought.

Again, this focus on one stat to the exclusion of all others misses the forest for the trees. How many coaches would take us to 6 tourneys in 7 years, with 7 in 8 very much in the mix, plus a FF? There certainly aren't 40 coaches around who have accomplished either of those, let alone both. Also aren't many who consistently with 10+ games against one of the toughest nonconference schedules, or, as BC points out, do it all without even approaching the line when it comes to cheating or having bad kids in the program. I'd also add in the extent to which he goes to grant access to the fans and make his program accessible as other attributes that not many coaches possess. Those certainly aren't as important as winning and winning the right way, but I don't think it is realistic to think that when an AD is looking at coaches, the first question he will ask is, "what will our conference record be." A lot of teams over .500 in league play the past 8 years would be more than happy to trade plenty of those wins for a FF and an annual tournament appearance.

I disagree on several fronts. Nobody can truthfully say Joe C doesn't really care about basketball, that's just not true about ANY sport at OU as long as Joe C is AD. As for facilities aging, that's based entirely on LNC. The coaches offices, practice facilities and the Griffin family training center are all better than most. As for the LNC, it is what it is and it's not the reason a coach would or wouldn't come here. A good team will fill it (almost, sometimes).

I think Joe C was limited in who he could hire last time. He needed somebody who was a sure thing in terms of winning basketball and more importantly, squeaky clean. He couldn't afford to make a reach hire on an up and comer. Lon Kruger fit the bill perfectly.

If you're talking about the 347 other D1 coaches & not cheat to get players, then yeah it'd be hard to beat going to the tournament 6 out of 8 years, a sweet 16, and a Final 4. If you include NBA & Foreign coaches then obviously it goes up.

I don't think people realize how hard it is to go to a part of the country you're not familiar with and get players & win.

I disagree on several fronts. Nobody can truthfully say Joe C doesn't really care about basketball, that's just not true about ANY sport at OU as long as Joe C is AD. As for facilities aging, that's based entirely on LNC. The coaches offices, practice facilities and the Griffin family training center are all better than most. As for the LNC, it is what it is and it's not the reason a coach would or wouldn't come here. A good team will fill it (almost, sometimes).

I think Joe C was limited in who he could hire last time. He needed somebody who was a sure thing in terms of winning basketball and more importantly, squeaky clean. He couldn't afford to make a reach hire on an up and comer. Lon Kruger fit the bill perfectly.

The administration is more than just Joe C. The LNC is our basketball venue, those other facilities you mentioned are nice but they don't sell the program.

The administration is more than just Joe C. The LNC is our basketball venue, those other facilities you mentioned are nice but they don't sell the program.

I would argue that the other facilities are at least as important to most coaches as the basketball venue. I still contend no coach will base taking or not taking the job on LNC.

I would argue that the other facilities are at least as important to most coaches as the basketball venue. I still contend no coach will base taking or not taking the job on LNC.

I never said they would make their decision based on the LNC, but it has to be a factor.

You are sadly mistaken about the practice facility. It is nowhere near as good as many programs in the country. We have one court! You can’t do a full court drill and have anybody working off at the side. I would bet every high school in Oklahoma has as much room as we do. Remember the other side is for Shari and don’t think for a second she will let the men in there.

The Griffin facility is fabulous!

Joe C obviously wants basketball to do well but as a whole the administration could allow the program to do as it wishes.

maybe people just don't enjoy basketball as much anymore.

Coaches want to win and make good money. Gyms are overrated from the coach's perspective.

Because if you lose in small gym, new gym, remodeled gym... Youre getting fired.

I think Joe C has actually made the right calls so far, as unhappy as I am with where we're at. Capel was the next big thing and everyone loved the hire at the time and through the first couple years, seeing as we went to the Elite 8 in his second year. He may never have coached us to anything more than Lon has, or maybe he could have, we'll never know. The Tiny Gallon/TMG class was a failure, but possibly could have been salvaged. However the recruiting violations were a killer. Joe C had to bring in a proven clean guy, a swing for the fence at that time "could" have been program killing if the wrong guy came in. Yes we're reaching or have reached the end of our need for the proven clean guy, but parting ways with someone who has essentially saved the program is not easy. Especially when the current results aren't bad, just not up to our expectations. If we were Kansas State things would look different, but we're tied for 4th in the conference, 2 games out of 3rd and currently in the tournament.

I don't think we can expect Lon to shake things up. I also don't think we can expect Joe C to shake things up either. The time is coming and when it does it will a mutual agreement, not an ousting.

Coaches want to win and make good money. Gyms are overrated from the coach's perspective.

Because if you lose in small gym, new gym, remodeled gym... Youre getting fired.

They also want to recruit elite players. Great facilities and a great home court atmosphere help recruit those elite players. Coaches want every competitive advantage they can get. Sagging facilities and a poor home court atmosphere are a barrier not a competitive advantage.

Any of y’all been to Lawrence for a game? THAT is what kids want. Phog is old and sucks but man, it rocks during a game... I feel like throwing up after saying that....

Any of y’all been to Lawrence for a game? THAT is what kids want. Phog is old and sucks but man, it rocks during a game... I feel like throwing up after saying that....

This is on the Board and Joe C. The seating in Lloyd Noble is terrible but no plans to renovate or build a new facility. Kansas, Duke, UNC, OSU....seat are tight to the court and stacked high. This is what OU needs to do. At least renovate the floor seating so more seats are closer to the court.

Back