An interesting way to look at the potential next coach

Good grief! Berry has too much time on his hands!

Hearing a new name. We’ll see if it has traction.

Seems like this is where the new smoke is. I was hoping for a younger guy

Beilein is 68 years old. At best, he’d be here 3-4 years and we’d get negative recruited like crazy. Recruits aren’t going to come play for a coach that might leave before they do.

Think Indiana with Beilein. He wouldn't be HC, he'd be a new role.

Beilein is 68 years old. At best, he’d be here 3-4 years and we’d get negative recruited like crazy. Recruits aren’t going to come play for a coach that might leave before they do.
Funny how we perceive age and what is old with a basketball coach.

I doubt anyone sees Rick Barnes or Tom Izzo and thinks they are going to slow down anytime soon. They are 66. I don't look at Huggy Bear at WVa as old and on the way out. He is 67. No one says Boeheim, at 76, is washed up. And Coach K at 74 and Roy Williams at 70 seem like they still have years left. Leonard Hamilton at 71 is just now coaching his best basketball teams. Then you look at Bruce Pearl and Coach Cal at 61 and 62, and I would never think their age would be a factor as they still have a lot of energy and gas left.

But yet a lot of our "fanbase" thought Lon should retire or was past retirement. And now Beilein is mentioned as a candidate and our first reaction, including mine, is his age. If Beilein is the best guy for the job and does well then age won't be a factor or be held against him in recruiting, just like all the names above.

I am just not sure he checks all the boxes for what our program needs at this time and, IMO, isn't the best guy for the job. Great coach, but not what we need.

Sign me up for Najera to be the head coach, with Beilein to be the director of basketball operations, and Carlos Slim to make a big donation to build a new arena and practice facilities.

I doubt anyone sees Rick Barnes or Tom Izzo and thinks they are going to slow down anytime soon. They are 66. I don't look at Huggy Bear at WVa as old and on the way out. He is 67. No one says Boeheim, at 76, is washed up. And Coach K at 74 and Roy Williams at 70 seem like they still have years left. Leonard Hamilton at 71 is just now coaching his best basketball teams. Then you look at Bruce Pearl and Coach Cal at 61 and 62, and I would never think their age would be a factor as they still have a lot of energy and gas left.

But yet a lot of our "fanbase" thought Lon should retire or was past retirement. And now Beilein is mentioned as a candidate and our first reaction, including mine, is his age. If Beilein is the best guy for the job and does well then age won't be a factor or be held against him in recruiting, just like all the names above.

I am just not sure he checks all the boxes for what our program needs at this time and, IMO, isn't the best guy for the job. Great coach, but not what we need.

It's a bit different being of age and having been in that program for some years as opposed to starting over from scratch. There's a different vibe to wanting to retire in the place you are versus moving on and hitting the reboot/reset button.

Last edited:

Funny how you just named coaches that have mostly been at their schools for decades, not guys starting over and trying to build a program at age 68. You’re being misleading on purpose to fit your argument. Lon was negatively recruited against because of his age. Same would happen to beilein.

There’s a big difference between a Roy Williams finishing his career at UNC in his 70s versus a Roy Williams starting over at a program like OU in his 70s. You know that.

Beilein is a great coach and has done great things, but starting over at OU with all of our existing obstacles is a recipe for mediocrity.

Sign me up for Najera to be the head coach, with Beilein to be the director of basketball operations, and Carlos Slim to make a big donation to build a new arena and practice facilities.

Beilein isn’t signing up for a job guys getting their feet wet agree to.

10 years ago we needed a guy to steady a ship and do more or less what Kruger has done. This program is in way better shape that it was 10 years ago. But now we need to take a chance on a more ambitious hire that can take it maybe back to the level even Kelvin had it. I'm not sure we should be going after any of the older coaches we've seen mentioned.

Ben McCollum - NW Missouri State Univ.?

Last edited:
Back