Andrew Fitzgerald comparisons.....

thebigabd

Reaction score
I have heard the comparison to Lonny Baxter, but he seems more like Arthur Johnson from Missouri to me. Undersized, tough, skilled, etc.

Maybe Arthur and Baxter are similar, but I didnt see enough of Lonny Baxter to compare him to other players.

What do you guys and gals think?

I don't think Arthur Johnson was undersized. Wasn't he like 6'9 300lbs or so. Seemed like it. I haven't seen Fitz in action but I think Lonny Baxter would be more fitting than Johnson. I always liked the way Baxter played but he wasn't that skilled more a bruiser.

I don't think Arthur Johnson was undersized. Wasn't he like 6'9 300lbs or so. Seemed like it. I haven't seen Fitz in action but I think Lonny Baxter would be more fitting than Johnson. I always liked the way Baxter played but he wasn't that skilled more a bruiser.

I think Arthur was like 6'8'' 270, about the same size Fitzgerald is listed at. Not sure Fitz is really 6'8'', but he is close...

Could be wrong, its been awhile. His game just reminded me of Arthur Johnsons.

Can those guys hit free throws and mid range jumpers though?

I havent yet gotten to see fitz play...I am living now in houston, working temporarily in austin so the games were not televised nor could I come down to the game

But would fitz be any comparison to bookout? I dont know how their height and strength stackup...but bookout was not a leaper but used his body well to position for rebounds and putbacks.....if he is similiar to bookout man we are going to be real good

bookout was listed at 6'8 260 and fitz is listed at 6'8 258

how do these guys compare if at all? I was a huge bookout fan because he did the small things that needed to be done to be successfull while also seemed to be able to get 10 ppg or more very quitely

Can those guys hit free throws and mid range jumpers though?

As upperclassmen, I remember Baxter having more of a game away from the basket than Arthur. I have to admit though, it's been awhile since I saw them play, so I could be mistaken.

Either way, Fitz is much further along than I would have ever dared to hope before the season. He is going to be one of those special seniors that bleeds for OU before he leaves Norman. I'm sure when that day comes, he'll join many former players as seniors who have earned a level of respect that is unmatched for being willing to devote themselves to OU for their entire college career.

Fitz' game is positioning. He seems to always be in the right place. I don't remember anyone who did that as well. His ability to hit shots away from the basket is a bonus.

But he always seems to be under the hoop in scoring position when someone needs to dump off. And he is well positioned for rebounds too.

He reminds me of an old veteran NBA powerforward like Kurt Thomas.

Fitz' game is positioning. He seems to always be in the right place. I don't remember anyone who did that as well. His ability to hit shots away from the basket is a bonus.

But he always seems to be under the hoop in scoring position when someone needs to dump off. And he is well positioned for rebounds too.

Sounds a lot like Bookout.

Sounds a lot like Bookout.

Unfortunately, Bookout's shot did not develop much in college. I think it was because he was injured all the time and working on the shot put. Bookout came out of high school with really good numbers shooting the ball including taking enough shots from 3 that it was not just a statistical anomalloy.

I've never seen Fitzgerald play, but just from what I've heard I've always thought of him as a Malik Rose type. (I'm a Spurs fan.) A little short for a 4, but makes up for it by being a wide-body, playing very physically, and bringing energy off the bench.

I was very pleased w/ Fitz. However, he has a long way to go w/ respect to "D" in the paint. There were some pretty horrible possessions w/ him guarding down low & we will see much better than those "Bigs" during the year.

OU's David Johnson. Supposedly, David was 6'8, and about 275. He was very skilled. Drew might be a little longer and maybe an inch taller.

I think Arthur was like 6'8'' 270, about the same size Fitzgerald is listed at. Not sure Fitz is really 6'8'', but he is close...

Could be wrong, its been awhile. His game just reminded me of Arthur Johnsons.

Arthur Johnson was over 300 pounds as freshman. Dude came in wayyyyy out of shape. But yeah, I can see some similarities.

Bookout is my pick. Both understand how to use their bodies in the post for rebounding and for offensive post moves. They both rely on angles to make up for lack of athletic ability.

Travon Bryant, Arthur's teammate is a better comparison.

Back