Annamolly or turning the corner?

jaymOU

Reaction score
Interested on the boards thoughts on whether Saturday was the start of something better, a one-off or maybe something in between?

I loved the pace of play, but I wonder how much that had to do with Alabama not being able to cover the pick-and-roll and, basically, not having anyone who could stay in front of GS.

OU's rebounding was better, turnovers were down and no significant scoring droughts.

My main complaints this year have been pace of play, rebounding, turnovers and frustrating scoring droughts - all which seemed to improve Saturday. I have been wanting to believe in Porter and what they are doing, but there was not much to hang onto until Saturday.

Wednesday seems like such a big game. Wondering about the crowd, the team's energy and Porter's willingness to play at pace.

Still just giddy about Saturday's win!

Maybe it is because I am such a MLB fan, but I am always a believer in sample size. At this point, we have 56 games of Moser under our belt, and Saturday was definitely an outlier as far as style and pace. I really hope he looks at that and sees it as something to continue. But I worry that we will revert to the old way in conference play, against teams that know us better and will really guard us.

I'll need to see us put together a few of those games before I get too excited. We played almost as well against Arky last season, then struggled mightily against good competition the rest of the way. But this does feel a bit different, perhaps because it was at home in front of a great crowd. With Bedlam at home up next, this seems like a chance to really use it as a springboard.

I take the game with a grain of salt. Hopefully it gives the guys confidence and that little bit of confidence is enough to winning close games vs losing close games. My opinion of the team hasn't changed much. Just have to finish

You are never as low as your low and never as high as your high

I take the game with a grain of salt. Hopefully it gives the guys confidence and that little bit of confidence is enough to winning close games vs losing close games. My opinion of the team hasn't changed much. Just have to finish

You are never as low as your low and never as high as your high

Absolutely right, SB13.

Now, let's hope our Sooners kick some Aggie hiney Wednesday night.

I will say, hopefully the guys see that they still have fan support and what a difference a crazy LNC can make. That had to feel amazing to the players to see that support

I will say, hopefully the guys see that they still have fan support and what a difference a crazy LNC can make. That had to feel amazing to the players to see that support

Hill tweeted about the fan support, saying the LNC atmosphere was the best in years.

Not sure how good a defensive team BAMA is, but they didn’t defend us nearly as tough as we’re used to. Our backcourt players penetrated almost at will including Jalen. Our points off turnovers was better than usual and the assist to turnover ratio was positive.

We continue to have a problem limiting our opponents offensive rebounds as BAMA had 15 offensive boards to our 6 and 15 second chance points to our 7.

The other thing I noticed was Tanner seemed to bully their bigs down low and had a great game on the boards. This was key! I don’t know for sure, but he seemed to play the baseline more in this game and make more of an effort to rebound. He was a definite matchup problem for them. The one team left on our schedule where he has a clear low post advantage would be Kansas.

Hope we have a good crowd Wednesday and the weather doesn’t hurt us.

They definitely noticed...

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_MBBall/status/1619803798972817409?s=20&t=j9OQ948BZHcCWTJ2attg6A[/TWEET]

Who is Anna Molly? Lol. Just kidding,

(It's anomaly) lol

Well you'd have to say it's an anomaly until we prove we can back it up with a string of victories against the toughest part of our schedule. It's a good start though.

My gut says anomaly. Why wouldn't it? As sweet as it was, OU hasn't come close to performing like that in any other game this year. That being said, I would sooo like for it not to be one, because I really like Moser and want him to work out. As others have said upping the pace helps and is more entertaining. Like the way the team decided to stand and fight, too.

As discussed in another thread, if some young guy(s) could start to emerge, for instance like Otega, and OU could somehow put together a run and somehow finish above .500 in these last 10, I think that would not only get me excited, but Sooner basketball nation start to get excited again for possibly better things to come. And then sign an athletic, physical HS and/or portal big this offseason? Whoa. Then we'd be cooking..

(It's anomaly) lol

Well you'd have to say it's an anomaly until we prove we can back it up with a string of victories against the toughest part of our schedule. It's a good start though.

I guess that was an autocorrect - no idea :)

My gut says anomaly. Why wouldn't it? As sweet as it was, OU hasn't come close to performing like that in any other game this year. That being said, I would sooo like for it not to be one, because I really like Moser and want him to work out. As others have said upping the pace helps and is more entertaining. Like the way the team decided to stand and fight, too.

As discussed in another thread, if some young guy(s) could start to emerge, for instance like Otega, and OU could somehow put together a run and somehow finish above .500 in these last 10, I think that would not only get me excited, but Sooner basketball nation start to get excited again for possibly better things to come. And then sign an athletic, physical HS and/or portal big this offseason? Whoa. Then we'd be cooking..

I just need reasons to believe. I hope Moser and string together several wins and, I agree, finishing .500 or better in the last 10 games would be a good sign.

It was definitely an anomaly. No one can argue that. Bama’s D was not good. We haven’t and won’t see D like that in Big 12.

I still liked a lot though. We had a good game plan and executed it. We had a lead and expanded it with continued attack. If we shoot anything even in the ballpark of that in every remaining game (I know we won’t) and play with that same confidence while leading we will definitely win some more games. But I will have to see it before I buy stock. I will be cheering, regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be determined. We'll have a clearer picture vs OSU.

I lean towards anomaly, because OU is not going to shoot 57% from the field and 69% from 3 again. Also, the Big 12 is just a more physical/aggressive league than the SEC. I hope this performance gave Tanner and Grant the confidence they need against other top opponents. Tanner has to keep up this level of energy and aggressiveness. And Grant made a lot of 1 on 1 shots and shots against bigs when they switched which he has to continue to do.

I have to agree with Swans. As much as I want it to be a turnaround, we won't see another team that's not willing to work on defense like Bama on Sat. I thought the announcers made a great point about how Sherfield has let lack of scoring hurt his whole game, as is the case with many players. If we can continue to play more efficient and energetic offense against b12 level defense, then I'll get excited. It is encouraging that we can play so well though, even if it was against poor defense. Let's hope we are turning a corner.

The better (in my view, and I doubt I'm alone) officiating in Saturday's game played a role in the Sooners' success. Our opponents didn't get the benefit of substantially more free throws and we weren't in foul trouble. It's hard for Tanner to be aggressive when he's saddled with three fouls in the first half. I'm not saying all of the fouls called on him this season have been bad calls, of course, but some of them certainly have. Give him even one fewer foul in some of these games and it could have made a difference in his play.

The better (in my view, and I doubt I'm alone) officiating in Saturday's game played a role in the Sooners' success. Our opponents didn't get the benefit of substantially more free throws and we weren't in foul trouble. It's hard for Tanner to be aggressive when he's saddled with three fouls in the first half. I'm not saying all of the fouls called on him this season have been bad calls, of course, but some of them certainly have. Give him even one fewer foul in some of these games and it could have made a difference in his play.

Have to agree. The officiating was the best I’ve seen this year. Those guys must not have been from our region. SEC officials?

One of them was Doug Sirmons, whom the Sooners see all too often.

Have to agree. The officiating was the best I’ve seen this year. Those guys must not have been from our region. SEC officials?

There is no such thing as an SEC official. Or a Big 12 official.

(It's anomaly) lol

My first thought when I saw the thread title. LOL

Not sure if it's an anomaly but as others said, a team is never as good as their highest high or as bad as their lowest low. I'd say you could take the 2 games this past week -- the blowout loss at TCU and the blowout win vs Bama -- and we are somewhere in the middle of those 2 performances. I'd guess if we played both again, we probably lose both but I bet we don't get blown out by TCU and we won't win in a blowout vs Bama.

Back