Anyang Garang enters transfer portal

Good luck, AG! I think he could be a decent contributor somewhere. Never was going to get the chance here though.

Last edited:
Good luck, AG! I think he could be a decent contributor somewhere. Never was going to get the chance here though.

If by “never going to get the chance here” you mean he was one more in a long list of projects who didn’t pan out, I agree. This paragraph in the 247 article tells the whole story. It’s all too typical of way too many bigs our coaching staff has brought in the past few years:

"A long and lean power forward," Snow wrote. "Has tremendous measurables. A native of Uganda, Garang has a 7-foot-1 wing span. Also, he tests well athletically with a 32.5 inch vertical leap. Garang needs to get a lot more physical in the post, and also needs to get used to the game of basketball, as he is relatively new to the sport. There is tremendous physical upside, but right now there is a long way to go for Garang to reach that potential. His skill work will need major improvement going forward."

If by “never going to get the chance here” you mean he was one more in a long list of projects who didn’t pan out, I agree. This paragraph in the 247 article tells the whole story. It’s all too typical of way too many bigs our coaching staff has brought in the past few years:

he was not really even a post player he is a wing

he was not really even a post player he is a wing

You are correct. I knew Anyang is a wing, of course, but to me he’s another “big” (6’ 8”) who didn’t work out. If our new coach and his staff can eliminate recruiting known projects, I will see that as a major victory.

You are correct. I knew Anyang is a wing, of course, but to me he’s another “big” (6’ 8”) who didn’t work out. If our new coach and his staff can eliminate recruiting known projects, I will see that as a major victory.

We need to hire a coach soon so he can hit the transfer portal asap.

We need to hire a coach soon so he can hit the transfer portal asap.
Yep, I am sure Joe C is very aware of the roster turnover with people transferring and the seniors mostly leaving.

It tells me his top choice(s) was/were still playing through this weekend.

If guys like McCasland was the top choice, he would have already interviewed. Makes me thing Kellen, Tang, even maybe, Altman, Moser, Enfield, or others are those names on Joe C's shortlist.

But good luck to Garang. We can fill someone that will get his minutes, production, or roster value, and probably better, from the transfer portal and not be a hit to the long-term scholly that Garang would have taken.

The other good side of the "wait" is that it would seem to indicate the top choice isn't Turgeon either. That's a deal that could have moved pretty quickly if he was at the top of the list.

At this point, I honestly can't think of another somewhat likely hire that would have me as excited as Kellen. High risk, high reward, but I think he is ready and could do well here.

The other good side of the "wait" is that it would seem to indicate the top choice isn't Turgeon either. That's a deal that could have moved pretty quickly if he was at the top of the list.

At this point, I honestly can't think of another somewhat likely hire that would have me as excited as Kellen. High risk, high reward, but I think he is ready and could do well here.

Agreed. I wasn’t all that keen on Kellen when I pictured him as being too young. But when my research revealed he is 35 now, an assistant at UH since 2014 and one of their top recruiters, I’m totally on board with this hire...that is, if he wants the job.

Kellen was always a bright, like able young man with an infectious personality. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s using his charm to recruit players and to motivate them to achieve higher goals. In watching him on the UH sideline, it’s also obvious he inherited some of his dad’s enthusiasm and fire. I see that as a good thing, too.

Agreed. I wasn’t all that keen on Kellen when I pictured him as being too young. But when my research revealed he is 35 now, an assistant at UH since 2014 and one of their top recruiters, I’m totally on board with this hire...that is, if he wants the job.

Kellen was always a bright, like able young man with an infectious personality. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s using his charm to recruit players and to motivate them to achieve higher goals. In watching him on the UH sideline, it’s also obvious he inherited some of his dad’s enthusiasm and fire. I see that as a good thing, too.

My initial reaction to the Kellen noise was "no freaking way." Then I read up on it more, came to the same age realization you came to and I'm 100% on board if that's the direction Joe goes with this. Not just on board, but would be excited as hell.

Good for Garang... Hope he lands on his feet. the staff put him in a bad spot by bringing him over here in the first place. Not fair to him.... He's got incredible physical potential, but he was nowhere near ready to play. Hopefully the last example of totally horrible recruiting practices, where your team has significant holes and you bring over guys from thousands of miles away who aren't ready to play.

We have guys ready to play ALL AROUND US... even if they are the 10th guy on the bench. You take an Emmanuel Ugboh (currently at TU) from a local juco to be that guy, on a 2 year rental.... He had a 6 point, 4 rebound game against Houston.. a 0 point, 6 rebound game against UCF... A 5 point, 8 rebound game against Northwestern State.. a 4 point, 3 rebound game against Tulane... and 8 point game against Vanderbilt...Etc.. He averages like 3 and 3 in 8 minutes per game. That's the 10th guy on the bench... he can play. He's not any good. But he came in READY to play, fill a role, be 7'0'' 250, and play some minutes.

That's what I want on the end of the bench.... Guys who can come in, small minutes, play a role, two year commitment instead of 4-5 year commitment, etc.

And, we used to do that... Jozsef Szendrei. Victor Avila... Jameel Heywood... Those types of guys.

Lets use the 2006 roster as an example.... Just an average OU team. 20-9 team.

Kevin Bookout - Contributed
Nate Carter - Contributed
Terrell Everett - Contributed
David Godbold - Contributed
Taj Gray - Contributed
Taylor Griffin - Contributed
Austin Johnson - Contributed
Longar Longar - Played in 23 games that year...
Michael Neal - Contributed
Kellen Sampson - Walkon
Michael Ott - Walkon
Chris Walker - Was terrible, but played 10 minutes a game. Started 10 games, etc.

That's the entire roster... Everyone there contributed except Longar Longar. He was the lowest contribution. And he contributed more than a lot of these Kruger guys did... And that was a 20 win team, went 11-5 in the league, finished 3rd! And the very next year though, Longar ready to play and averaged 10 and 7 and was one of the most improved players in the league. He wasn't some guy who flat out could not play at OU.

The team had a point guard... (Everett)... It had rebounders (Gray and Bookout)... Had some size... Had some good guards (Everett, Johnson, Godbold, Neal)... had an elite shooter (Neal)... It made sense.

Everett was from a Missouri juco
Gray was from an Oklahoma juco
Neal was from a Texas juco
Bookout was from Stroud (local HS talent)
Taylor was from OKC (local HS talent)
Godbold was from OKC (local HS talent)
Austin Johnson was from Texas (regional HS talent)
Longar Longar was from Minnesota
Nate Carter was a D1 transfer (got lucky with a gem)

That's the recipe for OU, right there... Local/Regional jucos... Local/Regional high school talent. That's the bread and butter.

Look at this years roster.

Anyang Garang - No contribution.... cant play at this level
Rick Issanza - No contribution... cant play at this level.
Josh O'Garro - No contribution.... unknown
Trey Phipps - Limited contribution... can't play at this level

*rant over*

Last year it was Corbin Merritt and Hannas Polla.

Recruiting mistakes and/or our staff’s inability to develop players are killing our basketball program!

You take an Emmanuel Ugboh (currently at TU) from a local juco to be that guy, on a 2 year rental

Ugboh was a senior this year and averaged -- wait for it -- 1.7 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.

That's what you're complaining about, that Garang and Issanza, as sophomores didn't give us 1.7/1.7 this year? I feel reasonably confident that if Issanza sticks around till his senior year, he'll be able to match and perhaps even better those very impressive totals, given that this year he averaged 1 point and 2 rebounds in the games in which he played.

If you have too many guys that expect regular PT you are going to have turmoil. Nine guys getting regular time is a good number, 8 to 10. Having 4 more guys for practice and good gpa is good. Teams are mostly about players 1 thru 7 and if they aren't strong enough it's not the fault of those last 4.

Ugboh was a senior this year and averaged -- wait for it -- 1.7 points and 1.7 rebounds per game.

That's what you're complaining about, that Garang and Issanza, as sophomores didn't give us 1.7/1.7 this year? I feel reasonably confident that if Issanza sticks around till his senior year, he'll be able to match and perhaps even better those very impressive totals, given that this year he averaged 1 point and 2 rebounds in the games in which he played.

Hah Credit for looking that up. I thought it was absurd he was jocking a 3 and 3 guy from a worse team in a lesser league, and come to find out ugboh is somehow worse than that.

Last edited:
Last year it was Corbin Merritt and Hannas Polla.

Recruiting mistakes and/or our staff’s inability to develop players are killing our basketball program!

Cmon back off the ledge, Ada. The last roster spots are revolving doors for all teams these days. Also our basketball team had a fine season this year with little in game contribution from those guys. Joe C will nail the hire!

13th dude. Relax.

Core dudes are solid as of now. Maybe one returns that has departed.

1200+ dudes in the portal. It’s everywhere!!!!

Those weren't his averages this year.... and you are missing the point.

The 10th to 12th guy isn't going to put up big numbers.... but what I am saying is on previous OU teams, that person was AT LEAST capable of entering the game.

Why are we committing 4-5 year roster spots to dudes we know can't play? At least Ugboh is only a 2 year deal, and he can actually get on the floor every now and then.

I am ok with the 10th and 12th guy doing nothing if you have met all the roster requirements.... but Kruger keeps leaving big gaping holes in the roster.

I flat out said Ugboh isn't good, but he can at least get on the floor for some solid minutes and its a very small commitment. Otherwise you just have these transfers all the time when they get here and realize they got here from Finland, New Zealand, Australia, etc and cant play.

Back