Around the conference

thebigabd

Reaction score
-Missouri is sitting pretty at 16-5, 4-2. They are pretty good, once again. I think they will always be pretty good under Mike Anderson at this point. He has his system and program established. It's hard to imagine them ever being bad again under him.

-Looking at the bottom tier of the conference, I think OU might flirt with last place a little bit. Barely beating ISU at home and then getting beat by 17 to Nebraska is not a good sign. Hopefully they can keep winning at home.

-OU has a .571 win percentage overall, CU is at .524. That is good for 11th and 12th place overall.

-Baylor is 16-4, and a lock for the NCAA Tournament. They were picked 9th.

-Tech still controls its destiny, but they are struggling in conference at 2-5. They need to go 8-8 or 9-7 to make it in the tournament. Probably not gonna get there.

-OSU is sitting pretty at 16-5, 4-2. They are a lock for the dance. Travis Ford really has those guys playing. They play hard, rebound well for their size, and they are aggressive. I like their team, and Travis Ford is doing a great job. I think they will have a real nice team next year, even though they lose Anderson.

-OSU is sitting pretty at 16-5, 4-2. They are a lock for the dance. Travis Ford really has those guys playing. They play hard, rebound well for their size, and they are aggressive. I like their team, and Travis Ford is doing a great job. I think they will have a real nice team next year, even though they lose Anderson.

Pretty fair assessment, abd... my only real concern is when we might get Ray Penn back.

Although OSU is 2-1 without Penn, we've averaged something like 18 turnovers per game without him. Before he went out, we were averaging around 11 per game (which was #1 in the Big 12).

Now, mind you, one of those games was against Mizzou, but we also turned it over a bunch against A&M, which has actually not forced many turnovers this year.

My worry is that if turnovers continue to be a problem, they might cost us a quality win (like possibly tonight or against Baylor at home) or may cause us to drop a game we should win (@Tech, @Iowa State, Nebraska, etc.).

Pretty fair assessment, abd... my only real concern is when we might get Ray Penn back.

Although OSU is 2-1 without Penn, we've averaged something like 18 turnovers per game without him. Before he went out, we were averaging around 11 per game (which was #1 in the Big 12).

Now, mind you, one of those games was against Mizzou, but we also turned it over a bunch against A&M, which has actually not forced many turnovers this year.

My worry is that if turnovers continue to be a problem, they might cost us a quality win (like possibly tonight or against Baylor at home) or may cause us to drop a game we should win (@Tech, @Iowa State, Nebraska, etc.).

Hopefully it will cost you a win tonight against a desperate Texas squad.

Isn't OSU now 4-3 with a date with the horns looming?

Correct. We are 4-3 in conference. The overall record of 16-5 is correct.

Wins: Texas Tech, Texas A&M, @KSU, Colorado
Losses: @OU, @Baylor, @Mizzou

Mizzou isn't that good. They've just had a weak schedule.

-OU has a .571 win percentage overall, CU is at .524. That is good for 11th and 12th place overall.

I believe OU is 0.429 and CU is 0.286. Good for 8th and 11th overall. (In the standings that matter).

Guys, should OU ever be last place in the conference? What should happen if that is the case? Just some questions.

With everyone losing this year, weak Pac-10/SEC, 8-8 in conference gets you in.

Guys, should OU ever be last place in the conference? What should happen if that is the case? Just some questions.

I hate this whole "entitlement" thing. YES OU can be last in conference and the sun will rise tomorrow.

I'd like to get names down now ... because in 2 years when this group is kicking tail and ranked in the top-10 it will be nice to go back and point out the chicken littles.

I hate this whole "entitlement" thing. YES OU can be last in conference and the sun will rise tomorrow.

I'd like to get names down now ... because in 2 years when this group is kicking tail and ranked in the top-10 it will be nice to go back and point out the chicken littles.

That's not the point. The point is, should we be a team that misses the postseason two out of four seasons (possibly) and do well in the tournament in the other two. That's where we are now. I'm not laying blame on anyone...coaches, players, fans. I'm just asking if that's where we should be as a program.

LOL.....the "I told you so fan", that, as soon as OU accomplishes something "good", is going to act like that proves something.

Like has already been mentioned, not many people are suggesting that Capel won't ever put together another top 10 OU team. In time, he will. Maybe two years from now. Maybe 6. Who knows. The point is, our program is too good to have seasons like this. You have to go back to Tubbs' days to find a comparable season, and I couldn't even guess how far back you'd have to look if you considered preseason expectations. The OU program has been consistent if nothing else. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Was assuming teams that have a chance of going 8-8, we don't. Plus UTEP is not a bad loss.

I disagree. We do have a chance of going 8-8. We could win all of our home games. We could also lose one and beat Colorado or maybe OSU on the road. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but to write it off like it's impossible is probably a little premature.

And UTEP isn't a bad loss, but a semi-home loss to UTEP won't help a team get off the bubble. VCU is probably a worse loss though because it's never good to lose to a team in a one-bid league when that team isn't in first place.

just fyi in no way is osu a lock to win the dance they are now 4-4 and have some very hard games left .... they almost have a must win at tech this sat ...

although i do think the big 12 gets at least 7 maybe 8

Back