Athletic ability for OU.. trend is changing.

thebigabd

Reaction score
PG: Sam Grooms (no idea)
SG: Calvin Newell (very quick, strong, good athlete)
SF: Cameron Clark (high level athlete)
PF: Romero Osby (freak athlete)
PF: Amath M'Baye (high level athlete)

High major D1 transfers can turn this ship around real quick. Kruger gets rid of Goff (the 5th best player on his juco team) and brings in the best athlete for a D1 program who is better than Goff in every way.

I think we are done seeing low-level athletes like the guys Capel brought in and will be much more athletic under Kruger. The days of Orlando Allen, Kyle Hardrick, Barry Honore, Nick Thompson, CJ Washington, Robert Goff, Kyle Cannon, etc are over.

That team will be fun to watch.

High major D1 transfers can turn this ship around real quick. Kruger gets rid of Goff (the 5th best player on his juco team) and brings in the best athlete for a D1 program who is better than Goff in every way.

I think we are done seeing low-level athletes like the guys Capel brought in and will be much more athletic under Kruger. The days of Orlando Allen, Kyle Hardrick, Barry Honore, Nick Thompson, CJ Washington, Robert Goff, Kyle Cannon, etc are over.

Are we already for sure bringing in mbaye

I agree with the OP with the exception of a CJ Washington. I think he can contribute off the bench and be active on the floor. I could see a guy like him being a type of recruit we could use for energy. Hopefully he gets a shot.

Every team, most years, is going to have players like "Orlando Allen, Kyle Hardrick, Barry Honore, Nick Thompson, CJ Washington, Robert Goff, Kyle Cannon."

Especially Honore, since he is a walk on. Kid is pretty solid for a walk on, actually.

Hardrick was offered too early. We all know that story. Cannon had plenty of talent, that wasn't his issue. Goff likely would have been fine off the bench. I actually liked him to contribute more than Grooms next year. And Washington isn't a bad player, as long as he is a 4th or 5th post option.

Not every kid we recruit is going to pan out, or have super-upside. I expect Lon to recruit plenty of low-ceiling, role players. The problem with Capel is that he recruited too many of those players on the same rosters, as well as having other "problem" players. Billy and Kelvin both had bad players that rode the end of the bench.

I like the trend so far as I believe that a team has to be able to put 2-3 players on the floor at one time that are physically dominating if that team is going to compete for championships. I also believe that a team needs some smart, glue-guys to keep the team from resorting to street ball.

I especially like the fact that all the players start with a clean slate. Kruger gets to evaluate from the get go and see who really should get playtime and how/when they will contribute. I never could understand our substitution pattern under Capel.

FWIW, as I have talked to some of the players after the season ended, many of them said that CJ never got a fair chance from Capel. I personally think he can be a solid contributor. He is certainly more athletic than the likes of Nick, Hardrick, Cannon, and Orlando.

I especially like the fact that all the players start with a clean slate. Kruger gets to evaluate from the get go and see who really should get playtime and how/when they will contribute. I never could understand our substitution pattern under Capel.

Yep.

I'm guessing LK will put some of those guys in limited roles, and they will do a lot better.

FWIW, as I have talked to some of the players after the season ended, many of them said that CJ never got a fair chance from Capel. I personally think he can be a solid contributor. He is certainly more athletic than the likes of Nick, Hardrick, Cannon, and Orlando.

i'm glad to hear his teammates say that. a lot of the fans were saying it as well, like me back in december. he will benefit as much as anyone from the new regime. until i get a glimpse of osby and see who replaces goff's ship, cj right now is the best shot blocker on the roster.

These quotes from the Chipola coach and from Grooms appear to offer a brief glimse at the kiind of player we're getting at the point guard position next year:

Described as a fast, physical ‘pure’ point guard, Grooms is a big reason why Chipola is 21-3 this season and ranked in the Top 5 nationally.

“He’s got a great body and he’s really fast with the basketball,” Headrick said. “He knows when to push the basketball and does a great job running the team. We’re 21-3 and the last game we lost he didn’t play. He’s a big reason we’re Top 5 in the country. He’s a leader, and defensively he can pressure point guards.”

“I’m bigger than a lot of guards,” Grooms said. “I’m an open court guard. I’m a pure point guard, I can run the show. I’m like a coach on the floor. I can really shoot it off the catch.”

If he beats out Blair, then I will be impressed and ecstatic with the recruiting of him. I think Blair has a lot of potential to be a solid guy for us. He sounds like a great floor general.

I believe this. I liked CJ's game and it's no secret he played quite a bit during our 4 game winning streak and then hardly played.

Maybe he rebounded too much and was better at defense than was needed? :ez-laugh:

I definitely agree that CJ shouldn't be on this list

Back