Fraschilla has OU 6th in his Big 12 Power Rankings

Doug picks K-State to finish 2nd. Am I the only one that doesn't see why people are so high on K-State?

2-5 are a toss up, why not go with K-State? They are the most experienced team out of the bunch...the Weber hire will effect them much less than it would other squads. There are just as many questions if not more about UT, Baylor, etc.

Gottlieb knows his CBB, whether people like to admit it or not.

m'baye is from a much bigger league and averaged double figures before coming to OU

I am speaking on the hype surrounding a player who has yet to step onto the floor for OU. I realize Wyoming is bigger than UC-Riverside but lets not act like he was playing in the ACC. And Nate averaged 15+ his first 2 years at UC-Riverside.

I am speaking on the hype surrounding a player who has yet to step onto the floor for OU. I realize Wyoming is bigger than UC-Riverside but lets not act like he was playing in the ACC. And Nate averaged 15+ his first 2 years at UC-Riverside.

This isn't about what M'Baye did at Wyoming 2 and 3 years ago. It is about what he means to OU right now.

He is big,strong,skilled, and athletic. OU doesn't have anything like that. They haven't had anything like that for years. And they have been just terrible for years. To get better, they need M'Baye and more just like him.

Yea, if I was a scout I would only watch practices and forget about the games.
Yea, that's what I said.

Scouts are paid to, imagine this, scout. They scout in Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. The scout(s) were there because their boss wanted them to gather information on OU players, more than likely M'Baye. If that scout would have gone back to his boss and given your first grade answer, he would be fired. You asked a stupid question, someone gave you the answer, and you gave an even dumber response. Then you created a straw man. Not your finest hour.

Yea, that's what I said.

Scouts are paid to, imagine this, scout. They scout in Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. The scout(s) were there because their boss wanted them to gather information on OU players, more than likely M'Baye. If that scout would have gone back to his boss and given your first grade answer, he would be fired. You asked a stupid question, someone gave you the answer, and you gave an even dumber response. Then you created a straw man. Not your finest hour.

Riiight. It was a stupid question to ask why NBA scouts would come see the worst basketball team in the Big 12 over the last 3 years. A team by most people's account was devoid of D-I talent let alone NBA talent. It is more likely that a scout would have been fired just for watching OU than saying he would like to see players in a structured/compeitive basketball situation. But you are obvisouly the resident scout on the board. Anyway, I will keep my expectations grounded and you can continue to sit at home wearing your Tiny Gallon jersey and hand out scouting tips.

An argument can be made that Nate Carter was not used effectively by Sampson and Capel. When he finally got his chance he performed quite well. He was one of the better players in the Big XII the last half of his senior year.

Riiight. It was a stupid question to ask why NBA scouts would come see the worst basketball team in the Big 12 over the last 3 years. A team by most people's account was devoid of D-I talent let alone NBA talent. It is more likely that a scout would have been fired just for watching OU than saying he would like to see players in a structured/compeitive basketball situation. But you are obvisouly the resident scout on the board. Anyway, I will keep my expectations grounded and you can continue to sit at home wearing your Tiny Gallon jersey and hand out scouting tips.
Again, you are completely off.

It doesn't matter what your expectations are and it doesn't matter what my expectations are. The scout is being asked by a GM to look at a list of players and gather information. A player being on that list does not necessarily mean the GM or paid scout "expects" that player to be an NBA contributer, but it means that player has the skillset/size/potential to be an NBA player.

So, yea, it was a stupid question. And your responses since them have fallen off from there. The scout likely to get fired for even watching OU statement is the dead giveaway that you are lost. He's ASSIGNED to gather info on that player.

As an FYI, I did do some scouting of high school players for the college I played/briefly coached at. Doesn't mean I'm qualified to scout M'baye or know anymore than you or anyone else, but I know what scouts are asked to do. Neither here nor there.

In summation, a scout or GM doesn't care about your expectations for the team are or what you perceive to be a players potential, they do their jobs thoroughly and will gather files on anyone with the potential to play for them. You just wanted to be a negative nancy.

An argument can be made that Nate Carter was not used effectively by Sampson and Capel. When he finally got his chance he performed quite well. He was one of the better players in the Big XII the last half of his senior year.
Thank you for that, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who thought this. The guy averaged 16.5 points & 7 rebounds in conference play his Sr. year, not to mention being #5 in the conference in FG %. I know it was a down year by OU's team standards, but as far as I'm concerned, the large, LARGE preponderance of any semblance of respectability that that season might've had falls on his shoulders. He was nails in the B12 that year.

Thank you for that, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who thought this. The guy averaged 16.5 points & 7 rebounds in conference play his Sr. year, not to mention being #5 in the conference in FG %. I know it was a down year by OU's team standards, but as far as I'm concerned, the large, LARGE preponderance of any semblance of respectability that that season might've had falls on his shoulders. He was nails in the B12 that year.

I agree completely. We leaned on him during conference play. He was the only reason we were compeitive/won any games in conference. He was average at best his first year as a Sooner. It was either because he needed time to make the transition or wasn't used correctly. Either way the expectations were set way too high.

Again, you are completely off.

It doesn't matter what your expectations are and it doesn't matter what my expectations are. The scout is being asked by a GM to look at a list of players and gather information. A player being on that list does not necessarily mean the GM or paid scout "expects" that player to be an NBA contributer, but it means that player has the skillset/size/potential to be an NBA player.

So, yea, it was a stupid question. And your responses since them have fallen off from there. The scout likely to get fired for even watching OU statement is the dead giveaway that you are lost. He's ASSIGNED to gather info on that player.

As an FYI, I did do some scouting of high school players for the college I played/briefly coached at. Doesn't mean I'm qualified to scout M'baye or know anymore than you or anyone else, but I know what scouts are asked to do. Neither here nor there.

In summation, a scout or GM doesn't care about your expectations for the team are or what you perceive to be a players potential, they do their jobs thoroughly and will gather files on anyone with the potential to play for them. You just wanted to be a negative nancy.

That's fine. I find it hard to believe that any scout, whether by their own free will or the will of someone else, would watch any Sooners last year. You don't. I am not a GM or a scout, but a fan who has been to every home game since 2006 and watched or listened to every other game that was played. To tell you the truth, it wasn't too long ago that this board had me believing that Nick Thompson was going to lead the Sooners to a NCAA berth. Then reality hit and hit hard. I have had to endure the worst 3 year span of OU basketball history. Am I a little negative when it comes to expectations? Probably. Am I totally unjustified? Don't think so.

But thanks for the resume and for letting me know what scouts and GMs think of my expectations.

schoonerdriver,

Practices are open. I ask you, as a Sooner fan, go check one out before this coming season starts and TRY not to get excited about Amath. Go assess him with your own eyes. Many on this board have. Then form your opinion.

As much as I would like to, I probably won't be able to make it down to a practice. I will soak up everything I can online. That being said, at best I see for next season is .500 mark in conference and a similar out of conference mark.

That being said, at best I see for next season is .500 mark in conference and a similar out of conference mark.

At BEST? You do realize we were 10-2 in non-conference games last year right? And we didn't really lose any talented players. And we added quite a few talented players.

As for conference play, it's fine if .500 is what you want to predict. I probably wouldn't predict much better than that either, but to call that our ceiling seems a little short sighted. We needed 4 more wins to be .500 in conference last year. There were easily 3-4 games that we'd have likely won simply by having a little bit of a bench. Not a great bench, just having a couple of bodies. We have that this year.

At BEST? You do realize we were 10-2 in non-conference games last year right? And we didn't really lose any talented players. And we added quite a few talented players.

As for conference play, it's fine if .500 is what you want to predict. I probably wouldn't predict much better than that either, but to call that our ceiling seems a little short sighted. We needed 4 more wins to be .500 in conference last year. There were easily 3-4 games that we'd have likely won simply by having a little bit of a bench. Not a great bench, just having a couple of bodies. We have that this year.

I didn't word my post very well. I meant a similar out of conference record as last season. If we went .500 out of conference, we would be in for a long season. So we are looking at a 3-4 win improvement.

Last edited:

Put me on this list as well. I remember asking myself on numerous occasions why Nate Carter wasn't utilized until very late in his career as a Sooner. He was one of the best players in the conference his senior season IMHO.

Back