Aziz Ndiaye

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Anyone know if our 7' 1" visitor, Aziz Ndiaye, is on campus yet? He was scheduled to be in Norman yesterday evening.

Since there is not much out there on this kid, thought I would post an article I found that will give everyone a little insight into the kind of player OU is recruiting. I especially liked the parts I have highlighted below. It's obvious he didn't return to action last month as this article indicates. But I think that works in OU's favor if we sign him. He will have three years of eligibility remaining, not two. It also appears that Aziz has leadership qualities this year's team has been missing:

http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_1065ffc6-8c07-594c-84fd-b99b7cee26af.html

“Arguably he was going to be one of the best junior college centers coming back, and not to have him in the middle has been a big loss for us this year,” said CSI head coach Steve Gosar.

Even without logging minutes on the court, N’diaye has proved his value this season. Gosar calls him a “player-coach,” lauding the help N’diaye’s given CSI’s other big men. He’s also at every practice and game, yelling encouragement. Redshirt freshman Carrick Felix said the 21-year-old N’diaye serves as an “older brother” to the other Golden Eagles.

“He’d be a big defensive presence,” said Felix. “It’s not even swatting shots, just his presence. … A lot of people are kind of scared to drive down there just looking at him.”

At 7-1 and 245 pounds, that’s no wonder. N’diaye’s ability to rebound and defend is augmented by an offensive skill set that greatly improved late last season.

Regardless of whether he dons a CSI uniform again, N’diaye has earned the respect of the teammates.

“I look up to him,” said Felix. “He’s one of those people who’s always going to work hard, just going to do what’s asked, not mouth at coach, but just keep his mouth closed, do what needs to get done and try to bring others with him. And I’m all about that.”

Per GParker, Ndiaye arrived in Norman last night.

i think i will mosey on over during halftime and sweet talk him a 'lil bit.

He sounds a little like Serge Ibaka of the Thunder. I like the way Serge challenges shots and hits the boards. His offense game is coming around. He also appears to be a great team guy.

Two things I hope for.

1. I hope he comes to OU. We could use his shot-blocking and he seems like a good kid.

2. If he comes to OU I hope he improves his FT shooting. He shot 38% last year.

Two things I hope for.

1. I hope he comes to OU. We could use his shot-blocking and he seems like a good kid.

2. If he comes to OU I hope he improves his FT shooting. He shot 38% last year.

Yikes... Get that up to 50-55 percent and I will be happy.

Okay, so he shoots under 40% from the line!

I asked on another thread, but has ANYBODY seen this guy play? Not willing to say the guy is going to help or hurt until then.

38% is bad and judging from the boxscores, he is not much of an offensive threat. But that really doesn't matter. Shotblocking and rebouding is what we need and he fills those needs.

I would rather have those needs filled by a guy that has 4 years to play and isn't coming off an ACL injury. But there's always a "catch" when it comes to Juco players. Thats why they are in junior college in the first place.

That being said, I'd rather fill those shot-blocking/rebounding needs with Aziz, than with nobody at all.

Guys, is it possible some of you are overly concerned about N'diaye's free throw shooting?

I mean, here's a 7' 1" 245 kid with three years of eligibility left who averaged a respectable 8.5 ppg and 7.9 rebounds per game as a freshman. He's reported to be a good defender and shot blocker, which is not too hard to believe with his size, and his coach says his upside offensively was “the thing I was most excited about.”

If Aziz can play, and he's the hard worker this article claims, I'm betting he can boost his free throw shooting by spending more time in the gym with a good shooting technique coach by his side. ;)

38% is bad and judging from the boxscores, he is not much of an offensive threat. But that really doesn't matter. Shotblocking and rebouding is what we need and he fills those needs.

I would rather have those needs filled by a guy that has 4 years to play and isn't coming off an ACL injury. But there's always a "catch" when it comes to Juco players. Thats why they are in junior college in the first place.

That being said, I'd rather fill those shot-blocking/rebounding needs with Aziz, than with nobody at all.

Pretty sure Aziz has 3 years to play in D1, which is not 4 obviously. In place of 1 season in high school ball, he has 1 season of high level JC ball under his belt, which is quite honestly better than high school.

He isn't going to come in and average 20 PPG, but he could help immediately in a lot of areas which are lacking in our team, atm.

7'1" 245 but is a project. I want him to be a Sooner but I will resist the over the top hype that will occur.

7'1" 245 but is a project. I want him to be a Sooner but I will resist the over the top hype that will occur.

Darwin, don't mistake my observations about Aziz as premature hype. His size will definitely change the game on the defensive end. But I'm under no illusions that he will be a difference-maker the moment he steps onto the floor.

My somewhat tempered excitement is due largely to a feeling that we are in real trouble if we don't sign a quality big or two in April. With some dedication and hard work in the off season, I expect Fitzgerald to be better next year. Beyond that, however, my confidence at the post position opposite Tiny drops like a ton of bricks.

Signing a guy like N'Diaye can't possibly hurt us, that's for sure. If Capel can pull off another coup by adding Terrence Jones, OU's front court would go from one that will struggle to compete again to one of the best in the Big 12.

Guys, is it possible some of you are overly concerned about N'diaye's free throw shooting?

I mean, here's a 7' 1" 245 kid with three years of eligibility left who averaged a respectable 8.5 ppg and 7.9 rebounds per game as a freshman. He's reported to be a good defender and shot blocker, which is not too hard to believe with his size, and his coach says his upside offensively was “the thing I was most excited about.”

If Aziz can play, and he's the hard worker this article claims, I'm betting he can boost his free throw shooting by spending more time in the gym with a good shooting technique coach by his side. ;)

I am not. I was making fun of Texas. It is bad but it will improve and he is a defensive role player.

This. A JC project who didn't get to play this year. And if he doesn't start next year, he probably doesn't even play much.

Guys that's fair to be concerned about his free throw percentage and scoring, but right now we're so bad in the middle that this kid can help us with his defense. This is a chance we probably have to take. Also, take a look at the other schools that are recruiting him. They view him like OU does as a diamond in the rough. I would love to see Coach Cline get his hands on this guy. My hope is that Aziz's hand coordination is better than Longars when he first started. If his hand coordination is better than I think we may have something. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Saw Aziz walking around today before the game with Coach Cline. The guy's a monster. Aside from his massive height, I was even more impressed with how muscular he is for a 7'1 dude.

Back