Big Recruiting Weekend tidbits

Henzo

Reaction score
We'll be presenting a more in-depth preview of the weekend later this week, but just to clarify some rumors and reports I wanted to get this up-to-date post out there for OU hoops fans.

Trey Zeigler (Rated #26 overall player by Rivals) will be in Norman this weekend with his good friend Ray McCallum (Rated #26 overall player by Scout). McCallum is very familiar with Norman, since his father used to coach at Oklahoma, and has several good friends there -- both in school and on the OU team.

Cam Clark (Rated #28 overall player by Scout) is expected to take his first official visit of the year to Oklahoma this weekend. As has been mentioned many times already, he recently trimmed his list of schools to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Marquette.

I believe it had previously been reported on another site that Doron Lamb would be visiting Oklahoma this weekend, but that is not the case. He plans to take a visit to Norman, but October 10th is the more likely visit date.

Also, the Sooners could have one of the top juniors in the state of Texas up for an unofficial visit. Unanimous 2011 five-star recruit LeBryan Nash is expected to be in Norman.

Needless to say, there is going to be a ton of basketball talent on campus this weekend for the Sooners.

Link: Weekend Preview

Last edited:
there is going to be a ton of basketball talent on campus this weekend for the Sooners.

Indeed!

OU fans who can't get excited about the recruits our coaches are visiting in homes and bringing to Norman, better check their pulse. These are exciting times for Sooner hoops fans!!! :woot

Indeed!

OU fans who can't get excited about the recruits our coaches are visiting in homes and bringing to Norman, better check their pulse. These are exciting times for Sooner hoops fans!!! :woot

Indeed they are!

I am excited about all the talent we are recruiting, I am just hoping a couple commit soon.

Capel is flat getting it done. He'll keep OU relevant in Hoops for a long time to come. I'm really excited where he is taking this program.

Can we get some "talent" thrown the recruit's direction this weekend?

if we get Ray McCallum, we may end up like OSU playing two pgs at once.

Sean Miller and James Whitford saw Country Day star point guard Ray McCallum on Monday for an in-home visit. "Coach Miller told me everything I wanted to hear and more" McCallum told PGU. We talked about the history of the program, how I would fit in, the academics, the fans, weather and the style of play."

The coaches also spoke with Ray McCallum Sr. about the school. Ray McCallum told PGU "My father has great relationships with all the coaches recruiting me but he worked with Coach Miller at Wisconsin so they know each other well."[coverattach=1]

Arizona recruit James Johnson committed to Virginia over the past weekend on an official visit before taking all his scheduled visits. McCallum said "I plan on taking all my visits and don't see myself committing before that. I don't plan on waiting till the late signing period to make my decision. Maybe in December but I'll take my visits and when I know what school is right for me I'll commit."

Ray McCallum Summer Highlights 2009

McCallum also told PGU that he doesn't have a top 5 but said the schools that were recruiting him the best were Detroit, Ucla, Arizona, Florida and Oklahoma.

He has had in-home visits with Ucla, Florida and will have Oklahoma tomorrow.

"I liked the the in-home with UCLA a lot" McCallum said.

McCallum told PGU he will be taking official visits to Oklahoma this weekend with close friend Trey Zeigler, Ucla 10/3, Florida 10/17 and lastly Arizona on October 30-Nov 1st.

McCallum spends his days going to school, working out and preparing for his senior season. "I get to open gym around 4:30pm and some days do individual workouts and/or scrimmage"

McCallum has high hopes for his final year at Country Day. "We have a great team including Amir Williams." he told PGU.

Williams is a 6'10 shot blocking center from Detroit Country Day, who can rebound and plays with passion. He currently is being recruited by Arizona for 2011 and holds an offer.

PGU asked McCallum how has the recruiting process been so far for you? McCallum replied "I like it, you only get to do it once".

So McCallum will evaluate all his options and pull the trigger (on his commitment) when he feels the time is right. Sounds like he's playing the point for Country Day and his recruiting process this season. All while Oklahoma, Florida, Detroit, Arizona and Ucla hope he'll do the same for each of them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCY2j7KWac&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wxNasB400w&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I bet long time KU fans are absolutely scared to death. The long time KU fans knows that their biggest competition in the Big 8/Big XII has been OU and that was when OU was getting one low ranked (high number) top 100 kid a year.

Can you imagine if OU had equal talent year in and year out with KU? In the past it has been the McD AA vs. some pretty talented guys (but not all-stars) that might have cooked at McDonalds one year in high school or perhaps eaten a few burgers.

I hope Capel can become the bench coach that Sampson was (not necessarily in style, just effectiveness) while being the recruiter that Jeff Capel is. In a few years, I believe Jeff Capel is going to be one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball and possibly the best coach that is under 50 (randomnly picked that number, but as I get older I realize there really is a lot to be said for experience so I have to give some respect to Coach K, Roy Williams, Pitino and some of the older guys).

KU hasn't been recruiting McCallum for a while and they are banking on getting Brandon Knight. If they don't get Knight and OU gets McCallum, that goes a way in helping close a gap, Especially with KU having a core of players that might go pro next year. However, closing the gap with KU and UT is done by consistency in coaching and program support.

Also, KU is recruiting Josh Selby and Adrien Payne really hard. If they land those guys, they are postering for a top recruiting class.

Last edited:
Everybody burn incense, run widdershins around pentagons, stir eye of newt and adder tongues in belladonna juice, etc, etc.

This kid (McCallum) has a real smooth game and from looking at these two videos he has complete game skills. If he plays tough defense and can shoot free throws also I would love to see him starting for OU soon!

Last edited:
Back