Billy Tubbs for the College Basketball HoF!

MsProudSooner

Reaction score
Tramel's ScissorTales: OU legend Billy Tubbs belongs in College Basketball Hall of Fame
Berry Tramel
Oklahoman
July 10, 2023

I was contacted last week about a campaign to get Billy Tubbs on the 2024 College Basketball Hall of Fame ballot.

Frankly, I was a little surprised Tubbs hasn’t been on the ballot. Or even already enshrined.

I’m generally much more supportive of the College Basketball Hall of Fame in Kansas City — adjacent to the downtown T-Mobile Center — than the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spo...-college-basketball-hall-of-fame/70398901007/

Last edited by a moderator:
Good letter by Tramel. Tubbs absolutely should be in the Hall of Fame.

The only reason I can think of that he isn't in the College HOF already is because he made some enemies while coaching at OU with his renegade "us against the world" mentality. It took another guy who made enemies in the media a long time to get inducted into the College HOF and he won 3 National Championships - Barry Switzer.

Coach Tubbs simply has too much going for him to not be inducted. Even in his so-called failures like his 8-year TCU tenure - he never had a losing record. The other 13 TCU head coaches since 1930, including Jamie Dixon, had at least one losing season. The bottom line regarding his accomplishments is what he did in the 8 years from '83-'90. OU lost 2 home games in 7 years and was considered a "national power". He also brought one of the two most important recruits to the Big 8 (Tisdale and Manning) which ultimately changed the landscape of that conference forever. A National Title game, Elite Eight and a pair of Sweet 16 appearances over 5 seasons is a feat which will likely never be duplicated in Norman.

Back