Blake Griffin: "OU has made a mistake"

I really think it came down to the fact there isn't much help on the horizon. Had OU been in a situation where a couple of big-time recruits were heading our way, then I believe Coach Capel would have gotten a 6th year. Some believe he would have been fired anyway, but that really doesn't make much sense based on your very reasoning. There really couldn't have been a lot expected for this year, but as Joe C was making his decision, he had to be thinking that it won't get a whole lot better next year.

Now, had Coach Capel been retained and landed every one of his top spring targets, OU would look (on paper) like an NCAA bubble team next year...but that's an unlikely scenario, and I'd have to believe Joe C just decided to cut his losses.

Back to Blake Griffin. I just hope he takes a similar approach to Keith Jackson taking after John Blake was let go...voicing a strong opinion, but ultimately still being supportive of the OU program.

What makes you think Joe had a choice in the matter?

I can't believe people are still argueing about this. Blake has said a dozen times that he was not going to OU when Kelvin was here and Taylor was going to transfer, but when they met Capel they liked him and that's why 2008-2009 happened. Both brothers stayed.

I know this is SO hard for some of you to accept since you blame all the problems that OU basketball has on Jeff Capel, but it's time to accept reality. He was a good guy, a good recruiter and a good coach and now he's gone.

Hope the next guy that comes in solves all the problems.

Sorry, Nick, that's not what I was told by someone who was close to the program back then. Taylor wasn't the only player who was thinking about transferring. There were two others.

But, assuming my source was correct, and I believe he was, Blake had no intentions of coming to OU until Capel arrived. Coach Capel deserves the credit for pulling off that recruiting coup.
This simply isn't true. He wanted to commit to OU while Kelvin was the coach, but Taylor talked him out of it because Taylor wasn't sure if he was going to come back for his Junior year or not.

I can't believe people are still argueing about this. Blake has said a dozen times that he was not going to OU when Kelvin was here and Taylor was going to transfer, but when they met Capel they liked him and that's why 2008-2009 happened. Both brothers stayed.
This is also true. If Taylor was going to transfer, Blake would have gone elsewhere more than likely. However, if Taylor AND Kelvin stayed, undoubtedly Blake goes to OU.

However, even when Capel came in, Capel still had to convince him and recruit him to OU. It wasn't a completely easy sell, and Capel deserves total credit for getting him. To say he only went to OU because of Taylor isn't right, but to also say it didn't help is incorrect.

Last edited:
Sorry, Nick, that's not what I was told by someone who was close to the program back then. Taylor wasn't the only player who was thinking about transferring. There were two others.

But, assuming my source was correct, and I believe he was, Blake had no intentions of coming to OU until Capel arrived. Coach Capel deserves the credit for pulling off that recruiting coup.
Yes. Give credit where credit is due.

Blake was NOT coming to OU if Kelvin was coach. Wasn't happening! Taylor was leaving #1 so do you think he would come if his brother was leaving? Sampson had NO shot at Blake. #2 Blake loved Capel when they met, they immedietely hit it off. It also didn't hurt Tommy loved the guy as well. Coach Capel recruited Blake here because he was still looking at other schools. Again I find no problem with Blake taking up for his friend, former coach, and mentor. He knew it was coming and wanted to show support for Capel at what is probably one of his lowest times in his life. Lay off the guy!

Blake was NOT coming to OU if Kelvin was coach. Wasn't happening! Taylor was leaving #1 so do you think he would come if his brother was leaving? Sampson had NO shot at Blake. #2 Blake loved Capel when they met, they immedietely hit it off. It also didn't hurt Tommy loved the guy as well. Coach Capel recruited Blake here because he was still looking at other schools. Again I find no problem with Blake taking up for his friend, former coach, and mentor. He knew it was coming and wanted to show support for Capel at what is probably one of his lowest times in his life. Lay off the guy!

playmakr said:
“Yeah, but I kind of talked him out of it,” Taylor said. “I wasn’t sure if I was going to come back.”

Taylor said he did not know if he would still be playing for the Sooners if Sampson had stayed. Even when Sampson left for Indiana after his freshman season, Taylor was unsure of his future.

“I was going to stick around at least for that next year and see how things went and everything,” Taylor said of his sophomore season.

Back