Buddy's relentless journey to Oklahoma and hoops stardom

An October practice in Norman has just ended as Buddy Hield, smiling from ear to ear and still shiny with sweat, jogs toward the sideline to greet a visitor he's never met.

"What's up, Big Time?" he says. 
This is trademark Hield, a small but poignant illustration of how his personality can impact not only a locker room, but an entire fanbase as well.

Did BigTime just get an shoutout?

Did BigTime just get an shoutout?

Could be. BT was fully committed to the movement to get students more involved in supporting the team back then. The red wig he wore was his trademark, until he handed it off later to another member of the group.

I'm sure he will know if he was the "Big Time" Buddy was speaking to that day.

He might just go down as my favorite Sooner ever.

I hope Buddy appreciates that he has a Mom who knew when to keep a tight rein on hlm and when to let him go.

Was Buddy the raw freshman who wanted to try to dunk on Blake at one of the Alumni games or did I imagine that?

Buddy's bubbly personality and Blake's deadpan persona would combine for a great commercial for someone - as soon as Buddy can get paid for making commercials.

Have we ever had 3 'bigger than life' personalities like Buddy, Mayfield and Stryker on campus at the same time before?

Last edited:
I hope Buddy appreciates that he has a Mom who knew when to keep a tight rein on hlm and when to let him go.

Was Buddy the raw freshman who wanted to try to dunk on Blake at one of the Alumni games or did I imagine that?

Buddy's bubbly personality and Blake's deadpan persona would combine for a great commercial for someone - as soon as Buddy can get paid for making commercials.

Have we ever had 3 'bigger than life' personalities like Buddy, Mayfield and Stryker on campus at the same time before?

Joe Don Looney was bigger than all 3 combined.

This wasn't due to their personalities, necessarily, but Bradford + Griffin + C. Paris was a pretty dynamic trio on campus at the same time.

It's hard to remember back a bunch years, but I fondly remember the mid-80's. The namesake of this board, Wayman Tisdale, was at OU from 82-85. Everybody loved Wayman and his infectious personality. Then we had Brian Bosworth from 84-86. There are a lot of possible picks from the football team on there with The Boz that could have been added to the list as the 3rd member including:

- Derrick Shepard, the father of Sterling, was a walk-on who later started for 3 years from 83-86.

- Troy Aikman was there from 84-85. From a personality standpoint, Jamelle Hollieway with his cocky swagger and bandana probably was bigger than Troy. We also had Darryl Hunt, Spencer Tillman, and Tony Casillas. Payton Pritchard's dad, Terry, was on that team, too.

- Basketball players Choo Kennedy and William Tisdale had entertaining personalities.

- If you include coaches, Barry Switzer and Billy Tubbs certainly both had those "bigger than life" personalities. Probably the 2 most dynamic coaches in OU history.

That's a really great article. A lot of the best players take losing personally just like Buddy.

Back