Cade....playing time?

luckyc1423

Reaction score
As some of you know I have always been a huge ray willis fan...primarily because last year i felt we needed him to play more because we didnt have as much guard scoring as we would have liked....well it seems this year we have plenty of scoring so ray willis may struggle for minutes..
I think the same goes for cade....I truly believe cade is going to have to re-define his role...I believe his role last year was to come in and try and knock down threes...this year we seem to have plenty of real good three point shooters (atleast two better then him) so if he is going to want to see significant minutes he has to become a big rebounder for us....imo

Right now the way I see it is WW,TMG,Crocker,Pledger are all ahead of cade...so unless fatigue or foul trouble out of those 4 he may not see much more minutes then he did last year

Next year it may be worse for him...we will have TMG, Pledger,Clark,TJ all ahead of cade and possibility if we sign another talented guard he would be pushed back even further

Cade shot %100 percent last night, scored 10 points, had 3 steals and 1 board...in 15 minutes.

As some of you know I have always been a huge ray willis fan...primarily because last year i felt we needed him to play more because we didnt have as much guard scoring as we would have liked....well it seems this year we have plenty of scoring so ray willis may struggle for minutes..
I think the same goes for cade....I truly believe cade is going to have to re-define his role...I believe his role last year was to come in and try and knock down threes...this year we seem to have plenty of real good three point shooters (atleast two better then him) so if he is going to want to see significant minutes he has to become a big rebounder for us....imo

Right now the way I see it is WW,TMG,Crocker,Pledger are all ahead of cade...so unless fatigue or foul trouble out of those 4 he may not see much more minutes then he did last year

Next year it may be worse for him...we will have TMG, Pledger,Clark,TJ all ahead of cade and possibility if we sign another talented guard he would be pushed back even further

4 guards for three spots? Cade will get plenty of burn this year...definitely not starter minutes, but will see significant time. His role is going to be to get on the glass and shoot the open jumper if he has it. Not too much difference from the previous year.

the fact is, we have so much talent at that spot that we will sub players like crazy and out hustle other teams. Fresh legs will be a major advantage this season.

I liked what I saw of Cade last night. He had a nice game in only 15 minutes. He scored 10 points on a perfect night from the field, had 3 steals, played solid defense and didn't turn the ball over a single time.

There is little doubt he will have to compete for playing time. Even senior Tony Crocker will have competition for minutes, especially if he performs the way he did early on. But, I see that as a good thing. I like the fact that our veterans have to worry about the newcomers. Coach Capel and his staff are bringing in some serious talent. There aren't many locks for starting jobs on this team anymore.

Cade shot %100 percent last night, scored 10 points, had 3 steals and 1 board...in 15 minutes.

That is what I was going to say. Pledger shot really well too. I don't think people should read too much into Cade not getting as many minutes as Willis or Pledger because Capel knows what Cade can do.

I've been reading on forums since Cade committed about how other players will pass him by. I even remember people asserting that Nick Sidorakis was a better player.

Cade, however, just as he is supposed to, gets better every year. He gets stronger, faster, smarter, etc. and always finds a way onto the court. I expect him to shoot better this year, and I expect he will shoot more 2's than he ever has at OU, as his role, like everyone's, has changed from last year playing with Blake. Additionally, though, what will earn him minutes is defensive intensity. Cade plays hard every minute he is on the court.

I think that, with the depth of this team, we'll see a fairly consistent starting lineup, but who comes off the bench with the most minutes will depend upon how our opponent plays, how the guys have practiced, and who is doing the little things, rebounding, defense, etc.

Cade and Pledger will get plenty of PT, just between spelling tired players or coming in for someone who picks up some fouls. Willis is the question mark, im not sure where he will be at in the rotation. He played decent last night.

Watch the highlights. Look at his first bucket. That is a NICE shot. He is a good player.

Cade's role definitely changes. Last year, Capel was trying everything to keep the defense from collapsing on Blake. Cade's role was to jack it up from everywhere.

This year, I think you see a lot more of Cade being asked to play solid defense and set screens. I envision that Willie will play 35 plus minutes almost everynight. TMG will play 25 plus minutes. The ten minutes TMG is out Willie will move to the point and you will see some combination of Cade, Pledger, and Crocker on the floor. Cade and Crocker less likely because they are both so defensive savy and streaking offensively. Cade will be used to set picks and allow Pledger to guard the third best perimeter guy for the other team. Willis will definitely see some time, but right now, he is low man in the rotation.

As good as Pledger is, I don't think Capel can expect (nor does he expect) Pledger to be a lock-down defender on a team's two-guard. Also, you don't want him to be. Why wear down one of your best offenders on the defensive end? Let him keep those fresh legs for scoring.

All in all, our backcourt is as deep and good as we have had in years. And the old saying is that your frontcourt wins regular season games but your backcourt wins tournament games. Good times.

I think Capel kind of tipped his hand last night when he talked about us shooting a lot of threes this year. I think he is going to try and shoot the ball quick from long range to keep the defensive from setting up their blockouts and to encourage long rebounds where Ryan Wright and our guards can use their athleticism to chase down balls instead of trying to ask our posts to out work people down low.

Back