Capel watching Seward CC @ Pratt CC

I have a player on the Seward womens team and she talked to Capel last night. He was there to see the Seward point guard. Seward Co. is a VERY good juco program and Pratt has a nice team this year.

PG KC Ross-Miller visits Monday and then Capel is scouting a Juco PG on Wednesday? Hope this is a depth thing and not preparations for to fill the hole of a transfer at the end of the year.

Looks like this Tony Smith character has been damn near putting up close to triple-double numbers recently. Would be nice if this guy is a reincarnation of Terrell Everett. He's apparently 6-4, long, athletic and can do a little bit of everything.

Tony Smith wowed the crowd looking on to the Saints win, scoring a game high 25 points and dishing out 13 assists while missing out on a triple double by just 3 rebounds as he had 7.

Seward, scoring 14 points and grabbing three rebounds while Tony Smith again showed why he is one of the best players in the region by putting up 13 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists in yet another near triple double miss.

OK, Smith is a point guard. I was thrown off by the comment above that said Capel was looking at a point guard. I assumed since Smith was 6-5 he was a wing player. But according to his bio, he is a point guard.

He averraged 14 points, 5.9 assists and 2.9 steals last year as freshman. He shot 37 percent from 3 and just 61 from the free throw line. Anyway, here is his bio from his freshman year and high school.

2008-09 (Freshman): Smith was arguably the best point guard in the Jayhawk West last season after averaging 5.9 assists and 2.9 steals per game en route to an Honorable Mention All-Region and Honorable Mention All-Conference season. As a frosh Smith put up 14.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game to go with his assist and steal numbers while shooting 49% from the floor and 37% from the three-point arc. Smith went 12 for 17 from the field for Seward in an overtime loss to then 21st ranked Barton County while scoring a career high 33 points and pulling down a season high 9 rebounds. Smith continued his hot week when in the Saints next game he dished out 13 assists in a win over Colby on the road. Smith went over the 20 point mark 6 times during the 08-09 season and had 8 or more assists 12 times including 6 straight to start the season. Smith is also a stellar pick pocket as 8 times he notched 4 or more steals in a game.

High School: Smith joins the Sanits after a stellar senior year at JH Rose High School in Greenville, North Carolnia. Smith was named All-Conference, All-District, and Conference MVP for coach James Rankins and JH Rose while averaging 17 points, 4 rebounds, and 7 assists per game. Smith has two brothers, Rico (23) and Antuan (17) and two sisters, Tisha (29) and Mykia (14).

OK, Smith is a point guard. I was thrown off by the comment above that said Capel was looking at a point guard. I assumed since Smith was 6-5 he was a wing player. But according to his bio, he is a point guard.

He averraged 14 points, 5.9 assists and 2.9 steals last year as freshman. He shot 37 percent from 3 and just 61 from the free throw line. Anyway, here is his bio from his freshman year and high school.

Sounds a LOT like Everett. If he can defend, he might make a nice 1/2 with TMG. We still need posts...regardless of who Capel is looking at. We need at LEAST two big bodies for next year if not 3 guys ready to play.

This year he is averaging 16 points, 7.5 assists (51 turnovers in 17 games), 5.4 rebounds and two steals a game. He's 26 of 79 from 3 and 44 of 78 from the free throw line (not that good). Still, to me, and this is a total guess, he sounds like a Terrell Everett type player.

Sounds a LOT like Everett. If he can defend, he might make a nice 1/2 with TMG. We still need posts...regardless of who Capel is looking at. We need at LEAST two big bodies for next year if not 3 guys ready to play.

Agreed. Judging by his steal totals one would think he defends well. I don't think Capel would be looking at him right now if he didn't after what we've seen this season. lol

And I think you can rest assured that Capel is going to bring in a couple more bigs. We just don't have any real info on who he's looking at yet (other than TJones), although you know he and Cline are out there looking for players.

Last edited:
I did some digging and Smith has a chance to be a combo guard at the next level. He would play the same role that Everett and Warren have played at OU.

Smith can play either the one or two. I think he is a Terrelle type physically, maybe a little better ballhandler and shooter. The coaches in the Jayhawk Conference are really impressed with him. I believe Cline was with Capel last night, so I'm sure they took a look at some of the bigs too.

Smith can play either the one or two. I think he is a Terrelle type physically, maybe a little better ballhandler and shooter. The coaches in the Jayhawk Conference are really impressed with him. I believe Cline was with Capel last night, so I'm sure they took a look at some of the bigs too.

Thanks for the updates. Have you heard who else is recruiting Smith?

All for another kid that can play the two. IMHO, we need more maturity on this team asap.

No interest in Baldwin? I think someone like him is a much bigger need being that he's a good shot blocker and rebounder.

Kansas City to Liberal.

Worst. Drive. Ever.

How about Limon, CO to Wichita, KS? I go through that when I drive from Denver to Tulsa and I can't imagine something sucking more than that. When I get to Wichita I feel like I have arrived in Paris or Rome.

How about Limon, CO to Wichita, KS? I go through that when I drive from Denver to Tulsa and I can't imagine something sucking more than that. When I get to Wichita I feel like I have arrived in Paris or Rome.

Yeah, but that's on the interstate the whole time so you can get through it quicker. You only get interstate half the trip from KC to Liberal. I always felt like Tom Hanks in Cast Away when he is driving through the middle of rural Texas.

Yeah, but that's on the interstate the whole time so you can get through it quicker. You only get interstate half the trip from KC to Liberal. I always felt like Tom Hanks in Cast Away when he is driving through the middle of rural Texas.

castaway2.jpg

I did some digging and Smith has a chance to be a combo guard at the next level. He would play the same role that Everett and Warren have played at OU.

I was thinking combo guard when I read about him too. Do we know what other schools are in on him?

Competition for pt from a upperclassman guard is a good thing. Inside upperclassmen that compete for pt are a necessity.

Competition for pt from a upperclassman guard is a good thing. Inside upperclassmen that compete for pt are a necessity.

How many guards do we need?

Why can't we find some bigs to use up some minutes in the paint while providing solid rebounding, defense, and maybe a little scoring? Is that asking too much?

does Smith have an offer? No lateral interest in Baldwin?

Back