Capel's Technical Foul

Was Capel's technical foul necessary down 10 with 15 minutes to go?

• Good idea by Capel

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • Bad idea by Capel

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was it too late in the game (15 minutes left in the second half), and was OU trailing by too much (10), for Capel to intentionally pick up that technical foul?

I really don't have an opinion one way or another, but wanted to get the boards' thoughts. Capel sounded as if, in his interview on the postgame radio show with Bob Barry Sr, he thought he might have made a mistake getting it because of the two-point difference.

Bad idea.... it was just one more bucket OU needed to make up, and as it turns out they werent able to. You can make a point to the ref without getting a technical.

I think it was a good idea. He was trying to either reverse the tend in the officiating or light a fire under his team. There were still 14 minutes left in the half - plenty of time to overcome the technical foul free throws.

Good idea....bad execution. He should of went off after getting the T. He could of gotten in the refs face, which would of motivated the crowd. The coaches barely even pulled him back.

The way it went down was not very moving for the fans nor the team. He would of been just as effective as calling a TO and yelling in his players faces.

I didn't actually see it, but I agree with SM. If he wanted to motivate the team and get the crowd going, he should have gone whole hog.

I think Coach Capel did the right thing by getting the technical. Tech had the momentum and they were the beneficiary of a call against OU, right after the officials had let a similar foul go on the other end of the floor.

The mistake Jeff made was to come out on the floor. That's a sure way to get a tee, because the official has no choice at that point. But you lose the effectiveness of getting your licks in and saying your piece before the whistle blows. Jeff needs to learn to get his money's worth and fire up the crowd before he forces an official to give him a technical.

agree with the sentiment of getting one, but it was an automatic two points the way they were shooting from the line. i'm glad he felt remorse for it. correct if i'm wrong, but i don't think they made the bucket and failed to push the lead to 14. if they had, we might have morphed into the december version of the sooners.

I think it was a good idea. He was trying to either reverse the tend in the officiating or light a fire under his team. There were still 14 minutes left in the half - plenty of time to overcome the technical foul free throws.

This ^^

I don't know if he was intentially trying to get a "T". He was just complaining about one of the many bad calls and the ref didn't want anything to do with it.

It might have helped spark the team but hurt us in the end. Without those 2 points, we win.

I don't know if he was intentially trying to get a "T". He was just complaining about one of the many bad calls and the ref didn't want anything to do with it.

It might have helped spark the team but hurt us in the end. Without those 2 points, we win.

Without him getting the "T" we don't even get close.

It was so calculated, because he instantly became calm after he made the display to get it. It worked. The guys fought a little harder. It was just probably too late.

I just wish he had waited until the refs actually blew a call to do it. How can you get your team to play through fouls and bad calls when you are going to get T'd up on a call that the refs got correct? Pick one they miss, then go to town.

Besides, TT was "breaking" after that turnover, and probably would have gotten a very good look. Giving them two FT's probably didn't change anything. Can't remember if they scored on the possession as well, just it really doesn't matter.

I enjoyed, but questioned an act he did earlier in the game. Which was ***** at the official, then he didn't like the official's explanation so he turned his back to the official and went to the team in the huddle. I don't think the official is going to appreciate it when you are doing a give-and-take converation. It certainly got the point across, but you could tell the official was steaming mad about it. Looking for someone to finish his part of the heated exchange.

As for the Technical, I can understand the arguments either way. It's easy to question when it turned out to be the margin of victory, but who knows how things would have turned out differently. I think Willie decided to man-up and everyone played harder. I think they finally got embarassed and decided to do something about it, so I don't think it was the technical foul that pumped them up and made it close.

Good idea. It fired the team up and led to a comback.

Capel put the blame on himself saying the 2 points were the difference in the game, but truth be told, if he hadn't done something to get the team fired up we may not have ever gotten back into it.

Don't know if it was a good idea or a bad idea. At the time, I'd say it was a bad idea because he should have been on the refs early to set the tone.

Capel needs to take a page out of Tubbs and Sampson's book and start on the officials at the opening tip. Maybe then they will start to respect him. He's way too nice and because of that the officials seem to blow a lot of calls in our games because they aren't afraid of the repercussions.

If the team would have gotten fired up and turned the game around it would have been a good idea. As it turns out, it was a bad idea- that's the fate of a coach. Your decisions are only as good as the outcome.

Back