Conference Tourney Games

Boom Soon

Reaction score
Looking ahead to future scenarios for the mighty Sooners. I’m just curious, for those that know more than me, are conference tournament games looked at any differently than regular season conference games? Example: if OU has 18 wins going into the conference tournament how many games would they have to win to make the NCAA tournament? I think the consensus on the board is 20 wins gets them into the tournament so would two conference tournament wins be enough?
I apologize if this is a dumb question!

For whatever reason it seems the tournament wins don’t carry as much weight as regular season. I wouldn’t feel good about ou chances in your scenario.

For whatever reason it seems the tournament wins don’t carry as much weight as regular season. I wouldn’t feel good about ou chances in your scenario.
That's what I was thinking.

If we only have 18 regular season wins, we will have collapsed beyond belief and our NET will be well below where it needs to be, so we would probably need to make a very deep run. Conference tourney games count the same as any other game, but if we get to 20 in your scenario, we would be 20-14 going into selection Sunday rather than, at worst, 20-12 if we get to 20 wins before the tourney starts.

Back