Congrats to the OU Softball Team!!!

WaymanFan

Administrator
Reaction score
3-Peat!!! I know it's off-topic, but it's also offseason. Hopefully, Boulder is okay with me posting this here.

Quite a DYNASTY Coach Patty Gasso has built since the 2012 season. In the last 11 seasons (no softball for most of 2020), OU has 10 College World Series appearances and 6 National Championships! And like football, OU holds the longest-ever consecutive game win streak - 53 and counting.

Did all of you catch those crowds who have been at the games? Quite impressive!

I also want to give a shoutout to the late Donnie Duncan. The former OU AD took his fair share of abuse while he was in Norman, but he had his fair share of great hires - Kelvin Sampson, Larry Cochell and of course, Patty Gasso all come to mind. Note, he had nothing to do with Sherri Coale (or John Blake) as Steve Owens was calling the shots during Duncan's lame-duck last year under contract.

OU now has 43 school National Championships with 24 of them coming this century. That pretty much means we have averaged about one natty per year with Joe C as AD. No question Joe C has been an immensely successful AD, though I doubt anyone on this Board would argue if said he could do more for OU men's basketball.

Let's hope the Sooner Magic from gymnastics and softball can start flowing into the other sports.

Ditto on the congrats to the softball team!!

61-1 is almost perfection and I think the team should enjoy the fruits of their hard labor for at least a week.:ez-laugh:

But I see no reason they can't do it again! They have it all!!

:dance005:

amazing run they are on .... great that OU has invested in the program ..

the TV PR OU gets from softball is huge .. and hard to put a dollar figure on

also great job by OKC for expanding that stadium and helping make the WCWS such a big deal ..

Yes amazing run by this team. Gasso is an outstanding coach. This is one of the greatest college sports dynasties of all time.

OU softball is, for me, right up there with football and basketball. I haven't missed a single pitch the past few years (all, alas, seen on television--none in person).

College softball has reached a level of success it's never known before, and OU--and as Boulder said, OKC--have played a huge role in building that. Dominant teams like the Sooners bring out the haters (and their absurd accusations and excuses), but they also attract new eyes, new fans, to a sport.

And softball is a very fun sport to watch. It's action-packed, the games are relatively quick and there are amazing athletes across the sport (thankfully, OU has more than its share). The young women (OU especially, but other teams too) play with great passion and that fuels passion in the fans.

There is also great parity in the sport, which makes it all the more amazing that OU has won it all three years in a row and that the Sooners went an amazing 61-1 this year--the best record in softball history--and won 53 straight (and counting), the longest winning streak in the sport (OU has four of the five longest winning streaks in softball). They played one of the toughest schedules in the country and the majority of their games were road games or played at neutral sites--the stands were packed everywhere they played--and beat them all (except for one close loss in Waco). And they led the country in just about any stat you could name--offensive, defensive and pitching.

Patty Gasso is undeniably one of the greatest coaches in Sooner history, right there with Bud Wilkinson. She's built the program from the ground up--when she was hired, the Sooners were playing their games in a city park--and she's done it the right way.

These are golden years, a time we'll look back on with great fondness. Here's to them continuing for the foreseeable future.

Jordy Bahl is one of the best competitors I've ever seen. Her intensity comes through the TV screen, and she is at her best in the tightest moments.

Sky -- her personality is very different, but as a competitor, she reminds me a lot of deGrom. When runners get on base against and other pitchers would likely crumble, she always rises to the occasion.

Very fun team to watch, especially at a time when our basketball and football teams have been struggling.

OU softball is, for me, right up there with football and basketball. I haven't missed a single pitch the past few years (all, alas, seen on television--none in person).

College softball has reached a level of success it's never known before, and OU--and as Boulder said, OKC--have played a huge role in building that. Dominant teams like the Sooners bring out the haters (and their absurd accusations and excuses), but they also attract new eyes, new fans, to a sport.

And softball is a very fun sport to watch. It's action-packed, the games are relatively quick and there are amazing athletes across the sport (thankfully, OU has more than its share). The young women (OU especially, but other teams too) play with great passion and that fuels passion in the fans.

There is also great parity in the sport, which makes it all the more amazing that OU has won it all three years in a row and that the Sooners went an amazing 61-1 this year--the best record in softball history--and won 53 straight (and counting), the longest winning streak in the sport (OU has four of the five longest winning streaks in softball). They played one of the toughest schedules in the country and the majority of their games were road games or played at neutral sites--the stands were packed everywhere they played--and beat them all (except for one close loss in Waco). And they led the country in just about any stat you could name--offensive, defensive and pitching.

Patty Gasso is undeniably one of the greatest coaches in Sooner history, right there with Bud Wilkinson. She's built the program from the ground up--when she was hired, the Sooners were playing their games in a city park--and she's done it the right way.

These are golden years, a time we'll look back on with great fondness. Here's to them continuing for the foreseeable future.

Agreed, I’m a huge fan too. Softball is a great spectator sport.

Well said! I have watched every game available on TV/Internet. I just wonder what the commentator who said earlier in the season something to the effect that other teams had less to worry about this season from the "big bad" OU Women's softball team. Probably choking on her words after this incredible run destroying all challengers

I’m glad WaymanFan started this thread to recognize the accomplishments of OU’s softball team! I couldn’t be more proud to be a Sooner softball fan!!!
If there is any doubt that this may be the best team in NCAA softball history, check out the article below:

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/...omplete-three-peat-win-seventh-national-title

Fifty two consecutive wins and still counting next year! The only loss in this 61-1 season was by one run to Baylor in February. Oh, OU avenged that loss in conference play by holding the Bears scoreless in a three game series, in Waco!

Is this the best team in NCAA softball history? I believe it is!

the women of OU are running this thing right now. thank you, ladies.

When Jordy celebrates after a 3rd out, she reminds me of Baker Mayfield.

I’m glad WaymanFan started this thread to recognize the accomplishments of OU’s softball team! I couldn’t be more proud to be a Sooner softball fan!!!
If there is any doubt that this may be the best team in NCAA softball history, check out the article below:

https://soonersports.com/news/2023/...omplete-three-peat-win-seventh-national-title

Fifty two consecutive wins and still counting next year! The only loss in this 61-1 season was by one run to Baylor in February. Oh, OU avenged that loss in conference play by holding the Bears scoreless in a three game series, in Waco!

Is this the best team in NCAA softball history? I believe it is!

Great post, friend. I hope you'll forgive me, but I've just gotta correct one tiny mistake: It's 53 consecutive wins.

Last night’s TV ratings up seven percent from last year’s record. The Sooners are obviously a huge part of the sport’s growth.

Last night’s TV ratings up seven percent from last year’s record. The Sooners are obviously a huge part of the sport’s growth.

And last year, the WCWS drew more viewers than the MCWS. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true this year. I suspect it will.

A Wall Street Journal contributor wrote an article this week praising college softball and suggesting that the WCWS was the most entertaining and exciting sporting event going.

And last year, the WCWS drew more viewers than the MCWS. It'll be interesting to see if that holds true this year. I suspect it will.

A Wall Street Journal contributor wrote an article this week praising college softball and suggesting that the WCWS was the most entertaining and exciting sporting event going.

I’m sure it’ll outperform the CWS again. And it sounds like softball is already being proactive and thinking of ways to deal with the increased length of games. Sounds like they will probably go to a pitch clock and/or make hitters stay in the box unless there’s a foul ball. They want to try to get back to playing games in a two or two-and-half hour window to keep it appealing to viewers.

Yup… 100% what a great game and team. Coach Gasso is 1 NC away from tying the overall leader at 8

Love watching these girls kick butt

I’m sure it’ll outperform the CWS again. And it sounds like softball is already being proactive and thinking of ways to deal with the increased length of games. Sounds like they will probably go to a pitch clock and/or make hitters stay in the box unless there’s a foul ball. They want to try to get back to playing games in a two or two-and-half hour window to keep it appealing to viewers.

Well, over half of OU’s games were less than 2.5 hours due to run rules…lol

I know this is for softball….but don’t forget gymnastics … Boomer

Back