CSI center Aziz N'diaye eyes possible return in January >>> magicvalley.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
CSI center Aziz N'diaye eyes possible return in January >>> magicvalley.com

Article written in December. I really hope we get this kid.

Source Link

He was supposed to be the centerpiece, the foundation. Instead, he’s only a spectator.

That could change soon.

Since tearing the ACL in his right knee in May and undergoing surgery in June, College of Southern Idaho sophomore center Aziz N’diaye has been steadily working his way back.

“I’m just doing what I’m supposed to do, doing rehab,” said the 7-foot-1 center from Dakar, Senegal. “It’s getting better. It’s a long process, but it’s coming along.”

On Jan. 12, N’diaye makes a return visit to Dr. Thomas Rosenberg in Park City, Utah. That meeting will largely determine N’diaye’s fate for the 2009-10 season.

While the Golden Eagles are off to a 7-2 start and have showed promise on both ends of the floor, they clearly miss the big guy.

“Arguably he was going to be one of the best junior college centers coming back, and not to have him in the middle has been a big loss for us this year,” said CSI head coach Steve Gosar.

N’diaye injured the knee while playing in Twin Falls last May, but didn’t think it was serious. He returned home and played for Senegal’s national team, but when he took the floor, he knew something was wrong.

“I didn’t have bounce,” he said.

An MRI upon his return to Idaho showed the extent of the damage, and the long journey back began. But there’s been reason for optimism throughout. Rosenberg, who repaired Tiger Woods’ knee in 2008, has been happy with N’diaye’s recovery and progress.

The Senegalese center’s therapy currently includes squats, lunges and leg presses in the weight room, along with jumping rope to improve balance. He’s also started jogging with his teammates in practice.

Even without logging minutes on the court, N’diaye has proved his value this season. Gosar calls him a “player-coach,” lauding the help N’diaye’s given CSI’s other big men. He’s also at every practice and game, yelling encouragement. Redshirt freshman Carrick Felix said the 21-year-old N’diaye serves as an “older brother” to the other Golden Eagles.

Whether or not N’diaye joins his teammates on the floor in January depends on two things: his knee and the team’s needs.

“If I’m healthy enough and the team needs me, I’ll be back,” said N’diaye. “If I feel like I’m not going to go 100 percent or I won’t help that much, then I will sit.”

CSI’s coaches and teammates know N’diaye would be a huge asset down the stretch.

“I think (centers) Romario (Souza) and Kenny (Buckner) have done a great job, but his shot-blocking presence changes the game,” said Gosar.

“He’d be a big defensive presence,” said Felix. “It’s not even swatting shots, just his presence. … A lot of people are kind of scared to drive down there just looking at him.”

At 7-1 and 245 pounds, that’s no wonder. N’diaye’s ability to rebound and defend is augmented by an offensive skill set that greatly improved late last season.

He wound up averaging 8.5 points and 7.9 boards as a freshman, tops among any of CSI’s returning players. His upside offensively was “the thing I was most excited about,” according to Gosar.

Whether or not that upside will be displayed at CSI is still unknown. N’diaye has already taken recruiting visits to Oregon State and Loyola Marymount. He cited California, Oklahoma and UNLV among the many schools seeking his talents. He plans to take his allotted three more school visits after the season and sign in the spring.

“I’m just trying to take my time,” he said. “I try to build relationships, get to know the people, the coaches. It’s like a business deal.”

Regardless of whether he dons a CSI uniform again, N’diaye has earned the respect of the teammates.

“I look up to him,” said Felix. “He’s one of those people who’s always going to work hard, just going to do what’s asked, not mouth at coach, but just keep his mouth closed, do what needs to get done and try to bring others with him. And I’m all about that.”

Re: CSI center Aziz N'diaye eyes possible return in January >>> magicvalley

So will he take Gus Grissom's place?

Back