Curious - the TV announcers - were they..

Looking4#8

Reaction score
from the Utah area? Sounded that way as they were close to "rooting" for Utah. I know we have some broadcasts that come across that way here but they just about wore me out. Glad they had to swallow their mic. Great win for the Sooners.

They might have been the Utah 'network' announcers, like the announcers we have on Sooner Sports Network.

I didn't feel that way. Versus is somewhat of a Rockey Mountain region station (it is out of Denver) but I didn't feel like there was too much home cooking by the announcers or officials. I didn't like every call but Willie went on a run where he was getting the call every time for about 5 or more minutes.

They were homer announcers.
Not sure if they were Utah announcers or just MTN announcers.

They're like those guys that do the OU home games for ESPN360.

they are conference announcers, meaning they are going to sound like homers for the conference they have a contract with.

poor ted robinson. he can't catch a break. he was a usc/pac-10 homer when he did our game at usc two years ago.

I didn't feel that way. Versus is somewhat of a Rockey Mountain region station (it is out of Denver) but I didn't feel like there was too much home cooking by the announcers or officials. I didn't like every call but Willie went on a run where he was getting the call every time for about 5 or more minutes.

Yeah, like I said on the other thread... it was poorly called but both ways on the court.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Tiny was in the game for ten min and they kissed his rear every second of it and then some. They were also giving willie huge props and then TMG at the end of the game. Me thinks you hear what you want to.

They are announcers employed by Versus and are not suppose to show any bias towards any team in any way but thier actions speak otherwise. It was very unprofessional. Did anyone catch their names?

I'm not sure I agree with you. Tiny was in the game for ten min and they kissed his rear every second of it and then some. They were also giving willie huge props and then TMG at the end og the game. Me thinks you hear what you want to.

i'm on board with this.

I hated the All Ball Cry on a foul that they had on the swing OU had to win the game. You plant the seed of doubt and blame it on the refs when your team loses.

at one point, they said something like "willie warren should be considered one of the best players in his conference, if he isn't already"

so i would assume that they were regional...

I'm not sure I agree with you. Tiny was in the game for ten min and they kissed his rear every second of it and then some. They were also giving willie huge props and then TMG at the end of the game. Me thinks you hear what you want to.

Yes they did give props to Tiny and WW, its kinda hard not too, but for the most part it was Mt West this and Utah Mt West that. I repeat they are employees of the Versus network and I don't hear what I want to, I am as biased as it comes. Except when it came to the announcers from Alaska, those guys were just terrible!

Yes they did give props to Tiny and WW, its kinda hard not too, but for the most part it was Mt West this and Utah Mt West that. I repeat they are employees of the Versus network and I don't hear what I want to, I am as biased as it comes. Except when it came to the announcers from Alaska, those guys were just terrible!

The Alaska guys weren't too good either, I agree.

I believe that Vs. just picked up the feed, and it was a Mt. West regional announcing crew. I believe that some could watch it on Fox Sports Mt.

Eh they weren't terrible. You could hear some bias towards Utah but I couldn't blame them. With VS having a contract where they probably work a lot of Mountain West teams its probably real hard for them to be 100% neutral when they have a lot of knowledge about these teams because they cover them often. Just my thoughts. I saw it, but can't blame them.

They were pretty bad. But, they were much, much better than the Alaska guys.

They were inept, but not particularly biased.

My problem was with the one clown who was spewing that "It was a foul, but you don't make that call late in the game" nonsense on Willie's drive at the end of regulation.

This notion that an official swallows his whistle because he doesn't want to decide the game is such crap. He's deciding the game just as much by robbing a player (Willie, in this case) of his rightful shot at winning the game with free throws.

I don't want ticky-tack fouls called in that situation, but the foul on Willie was hardly that. And if nothing else, it would have put Foster on the bench for OT.

I can't agree that the officiating was evenly bad. When Tiny sits for 35 minutes of game action and Foster never does foul out, even with an overtime, that's not even. Foster could have fouled out in the first half.

They were definitely Mt. West guys because after the game they had a promo for an upcoming Mt. West game.

Back