Dayton Forsythe looks LEGIT

I lose so much sleep over than one in 10 years season in which our best player missed the vast majority of conference play the season after we graduated three seniors who took us to the Final Four.

Not even Moser himself would continue to try to favorably compare his tenure to Lon, but this is what you do. After all, in your mind, Moser and Lon have pretty much accomplished the same things at OU outside 2016.

The only context that matters is that Lon coached ou to the most losses in a single season all time.

I am just going to add this, so I can be talked about for years to come...

Dayton Forsythe = Bob Cousy but much much better with a hint of Nash, and a splash of Maravich.

(stamped, clip it, clearly no "lol" that you see, and don't look at my previous posts about DF please.)
If he doesn't start every game until he transfers the following year, I will eat a PB&J sammie. (crust on)

(this is a silly thread now)
Same here, I want to be added to the history books as well....

Dayton Forsythe will save Porter Moser's job at Oklahoma.

The only context that matters is that Lon coached ou to the most losses in a single season all time.
Sure, in your mind, one season outweighs an entire career. Again, it's a message board. You are entitled to share whatever misguided opinions you have.

I would like to go on record stating that Dayton will lead the country in points and assists. Most of those assists will be to Luke, who sets the NCAA record for 3 pointers.

Sure, in your mind, one season outweighs an entire career. Again, it's a message board. You are entitled to share whatever misguided opinions you have.

I shared no opinions (you still have trouble differentiating between facts/opinions, I see). I didn’t say any of the other nonsense you just said either. In fact, I supported Lon the whole time and was thankful to have him at OU.

I shared no opinions (you still have trouble differentiating between facts/opinions, I see). I didn’t say any of the other nonsense you just said either. In fact, I supported Lon the whole time and was thankful to have him at OU.
You have posted numerous times that Lon's first three seasons aren't all that different than Moser's. That is an opinion. I think you also are among those who have said we "should" have made it two of the three years. That is also an opinion. (Apologies if you haven't made this specific claim; many have, and I can't recall if you are among them.)

The two NCAA appearances in Lon's first three years -- those are facts.

You have posted numerous times that Lon's first three seasons aren't all that different than Moser's. That is an opinion. I think you also are among those who have said we "should" have made it two of the three years. That is also an opinion. (Apologies if you haven't made this specific claim; many have, and I can't recall if you are among them.)

The two NCAA appearances in Lon's first three years -- those are facts.

Our regular season and conference record last year was essentially indistinguishable from Lon's tenure sans Buddy. Fact.
Lon's tenure sans Buddy was also not impressive. Opinion (technically).
Even with Buddy, our program took a dip compared to quarter-century era of Tubbs and Sampson. Fact.

Our regular season and conference record last year was essentially indistinguishable from Lon's tenure sans Buddy. Fact.
Lon's tenure sans Buddy was also not impressive. Opinion (technically).
Even with Buddy, our program took a dip compared to quarter-century era of Tubbs and Sampson. Fact.
Your last fact has zero relevance to the discussion regarding Moser and Lon. I didn’t even bring Lon into it, but that’s the debate Tiny always wants to have. And your “fact” about regular season records doesn’t take into account strength of schedule, which is also a quantifiable fact.

But I will concede that compared to the Moser and Capel eras, Lon's era is the bright spot of post-Sampson. That isn't saying much. I will also say that the fact that Moser hasn't been fired is a direct byproduct of the Lon era. He absolutely would have been fired by now had he been Sampson's predecessor.

Your last fact has zero relevance to the discussion regarding Moser and Lon. I didn’t even bring Lon into it, but that’s the debate Tiny always wants to have. And your “fact” about regular season records doesn’t take into account strength of schedule, which is also a quantifiable fact.

it’s never been about Lon vs Porter for me. I have maintained that there are bigger issues than the head coach dating back to when Lon was the head coach.

I just think it is bizarre to have seen you be a human shield for Lon for years, making excuse after excuse (like you did in this thread). Then when evaluating Moser, none of the context matters. It doesn’t matter that ou has been poor in NIL and fan support. It doesn’t matter that OU dealt with significant injuries last year during the most difficult stretch of our schedule. It doesn’t matter that OU was the first team out 2 out of 3 years.

Only Lon gets the benefit of the doubt from you. The same guy that had the most losses in program history well into his tenure at ou…

Last edited:
Your last fact has zero relevance to the discussion regarding Moser and Lon.

If you choose to discuss Lon, I can only compare him to the Moser era? Got it. If you exclude the 25 years of Sampson and Tubbs, the Lon era was actually a pretty good era of Sooner basketball.

These comparisons make little sense because the Moser era is only three years old. Of the previous five head coaches, all had flaws - no one had a worse first year than Billy Tubbs; no one took longer to get their first NCAA Tournament win than Kelvin Sampson; no one had a talented team implode worse than Jeff Capel's 2010 squad; no one had more losses in a season than Lon Kruger; and no one made it more painfully obvious that he wanted to get the heck out of Norman than Dave Bliss. Still, all five of these coaches enjoyed varying degrees of success at OU. At the end of three years, Moser is basically on par with only Bliss at the same stage...but let's see his tenure play out before finalizing any comparisons.

it’s never been about Lon vs Porter for me. I have maintained that there are bigger issues than the head coach dating back to when Lon was the head coach.

I just think it is bizarre to have seen you be a human shield for Lon for years, making excuse after excuse (like you did in this thread). Then when evaluating Moser, none of the context matters. It doesn’t matter that ou has been poor in NIL and fan support. It doesn’t matter that OU dealt with significant injuries last year during the most difficult stretch of our schedule. It doesn’t matter that OU was the first team out 2 out of 3 years.

Only Lon gets the benefit of the doubt from you. The same guy that had the most losses in program history well into his tenure at ou…
Let’s take these point by point. Injuries: we had remarkably good health for over two-and-a-half seasons. I can barely remember any key players missing time in that stretch. The last ten games of this season, we experienced the kind of injuries that are common to almost all teams. Multiple teams in our own league had it worse. And the most significant injury can be pinned directly on Moser himself for keeping our best player on the floor at the end of two blowouts. Absolutely indefensible.

Fan support: we probably had better crowds for marquee home games this year than we had in many moons. Not only did we lose those most of those games, we completely shat the bed and played ugly basketball against Texas and Kansas, and collapsed against Tech. Every OU coach has dealt with bad and inconsistent fan support. The others found a way to win in spite of it.

NIL: as this year’s portal shows, we had plenty of talent on the roster this past season. We didn’t miss the tourney because we lacked NIL. We had four guys who have since been recruited by P5 schools, plus the two guys who were our best players. It was an atrocious coaching performance not to get that team to the tournament.

Being one of the first two teams out: who cares? The job isn’t to be close. Over three seasons at a school like OU, you should, at least once, make the tourney. If you can’t do that, I don’t want to hear you whine about all the upsets in the conference tournaments. Play a decent noncon schedule, and/or don’t go 2-11 against the field. Take care of your own damn business and don’t leave yourself vulnerable to being knocked out by a couple upsets.

Again, I didn’t bring Lon into this thread. 2017 was seven years ago. After that season, he made every tournament till his retirement. He hasn’t been our coach in over three years. He is happily living in Las Vegas and there is no sense in debating the job he did. What is very much relevant is the job performance of the current coach, who has a very long career and has only managed two or three truly good seasons. Since you keep mentioning Lon, don’t forget that for whatever faults he had, he could basically roll out of bed and make the tournament. Moser has done that twice. In 20 years.

Back