Deadspin: After Loss to Kansas, Angry Iowa State Fan Rushes Court

ISU got jobbed of that there is no doubt. As for all this nonsense about crying over a dunk at the end of a game I only have one thing to say man up and grow a pair. Play until the buzzer and have no regrets.

ISU got jobbed of that there is no doubt. As for all this nonsense about crying over a dunk at the end of a game I only have one thing to say man up and grow a pair. Play until the buzzer and have no regrets.

Ooh, tough guy talk! Yeah, because there's nothing manlier than dunking on a team for whom it is mathematically impossible to win the game and therefore is no longer playing defense. Why, I'll bet Johnson's "pair" is now half again as big as it was before that dunk, so manly were his actions.

Literally hundreds, if not thousands, of teams every season -- in basketball and in football -- wind down the clock without trying to squeeze out another point or two (or six) against a vanquished opponent. Do they all need to grow a pair, too?

There's also the chance of a pointless injury if a game that is out of reach is played to the buzzer. Putting his admirable apology aside, it's almost too bad Mr. Johnson didn't pull a little something in his final childish display. Nothing serious, mind you, just a little something to make him miss a game or two, something to remind him there's nothing manly about being a douchebag.

john lucas III is amused at the direction this thread has taken.

I agree with this, actually, but I wouldn't have said it quite as harsh. The clock is still running and it's the defenses job to prevent it from happening. Play to the final whistle. I can guarantee if Billy Tubbs were coaching he would coach his players to do it every time.

However, I can also appreciate teams/coaches/players who choose to do the opposite out of sportsmanship.

I can remember Wayman doing a backward jam at the buzzer of the Georgia Tech game in Norman in 1985 to put an exclamation on the come from behind win. It was "awesome baby!". Nobody, not Bobby Cremins, not Mark Price, or John Salley complained about it.

I agree with this, actually, but I wouldn't have said it quite as harsh. The clock is still running and it's the defenses job to prevent it from happening. Play to the final whistle. I can guarantee if Billy Tubbs were coaching he would coach his players to do it every time.

However, I can also appreciate teams/coaches/players who choose to do the opposite out of sportsmanship.

I can remember Wayman doing a backward jam at the buzzer of the Georgia Tech game in Norman in 1985 to put an exclamation on the come from behind win. It was "awesome baby!". Nobody, not Bobby Cremins, not Mark Price, or John Salley complained about it.

Get these facts out of here.

WT with another Apples to Garbanzo Beans comparison.

If that makes you feel better, roll with it. Truth is, the situations were VERY similar. Both guys had unguarded dunks at the end of games that were no longer in question. Period. You can try to justify the tiny differences all you want.

Ooh, tough guy talk! Yeah, because there's nothing manlier than dunking on a team for whom it is mathematically impossible to win the game and therefore is no longer playing defense. Why, I'll bet Johnson's "pair" is now half again as big as it was before that dunk, so manly were his actions.

Literally hundreds, if not thousands, of teams every season -- in basketball and in football -- wind down the clock without trying to squeeze out another point or two (or six) against a vanquished opponent. Do they all need to grow a pair, too?

There's also the chance of a pointless injury if a game that is out of reach is played to the buzzer. Putting his admirable apology aside, it's almost too bad Mr. Johnson didn't pull a little something in his final childish display. Nothing serious, mind you, just a little something to make him miss a game or two, something to remind him there's nothing manly about being a douchebag.

Skyvue this post is yet another example of why I like this site. Posters by and large are adults here.

It's a shame you don't post on the football board, because your level-headed insights are sorely needed there.

If that makes you feel better, roll with it. Truth is, the situations were VERY similar. Both guys had unguarded dunks at the end of games that were no longer in question. Period. You can try to justify the tiny differences all you want.

The situation is completely different. A dunk in that situation is poor sportsmanship no matter whether it happens at home or not. But if you do it on the road, it's similar to teams that have stomped on the opponents logo on the court or football field. I remember a basketball game at Missouri when Eduardo was in school where he dunked the ball right in front of the Antlers group and let them know what he thought of them. Kelvin was not pleased and let him know about it.

The situation is completely different. A dunk in that situation is poor sportsmanship no matter whether it happens at home or not. But if you do it on the road, it's similar to teams that have stomped on the opponents logo on the court or football field. I remember a basketball game at Missouri when Eduardo was in school where he dunked the ball right in front of the Antlers group and let them know what he thought of them. Kelvin was not pleased and let him know about it.

So did Self and Johnson apologized less than five minutes later...

Home and road has nothing to do with whether it's classless or not. It's not classless b/c it upsets the other team's fans. If it's classless, it's b/c it's disrespectful to the other team, in which case location plays no role at all.

And Eduardo did that during the middle of a game, iirc. Talk about a different scenario. We've had a lot of OU players over the years "interact" with the opposing team's crowd. Blake probably being the most recent.

Last edited:
That fan is an embarrassment. To confront a coach on the court over a freakin college basketball game is beyond pathetic. He should be banned from the arena.

Absolutely agree. Most of us are passionate, but at some point that has to be controlled.

The fact that it was at home makes a difference. And the fact that OU was not bailed out by the officials in the closing minutes. And that it was a game of equals, relatively speaking (if anything, OU had been striving to reach Ga Tech's level, though I think we were pretty highly ranked by the time that game was played).

That's very different from a game on the road in which the dominant basketball program of the Big 8/12 gets bailed out at the last second by the officials.

A big-dog program is held to slightly different standards. There have been games in recent years in which (I'm switching sports here) it seemed to me Mike Gundy had run up the score by trying to punch it in the final minute of a game that is out of hand, and no one said a thing. But if Bob Stoops did that, he'd catch grief for it.

KU did it, and they deserve to catch grief for it.

Last edited:
I don't think ISU fans are overly upset with a dunk at the end of a game. It was everything that led up to that.

Regardless, any fan that goes on the court in a rage and confronts a coach is an idiot and should not be allowed to return.

I also don't think OU fans should be or were upset with a shot at the end of a game, especially one that occurred after the game was over.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what bothers me WAY more than a kid dunking at the end of a game.

That is when a team is trying to run out the last 10-15 seconds of a game, the other team isn't going to foul, but they keep hounding the other team's guard that is simply trying to dribble the clock out. Foul or let the kid stand there and dribble the ball. I'd coach my kids that if the other team wanted to keep defending, we are going to attack the rim and score. Simple as that.

The fact that it was at home makes a difference. And the fact that OU was not bailed out by the officials in the closing minutes. And that it was a game of equals, relatively speaking (if anything, OU had been striving to reach Ga Tech's level, though I think we were pretty highly ranked by the time that game was played).

That's very different from a game on the road in which the dominant basketball program of the Big 8/12 gets bailed out at the last second by the officials.

A big-dog program is held to slightly different standards. There have been games in recent years in which (I'm switching sports here) it seemed to me Mike Gundy has run up the score by trying to score in the final minute of a game that is out of hand, and no one's said a thing. But if Bob Stoops did that, he'd catch grief for it.

KU did it, and they deserve to catch grief for it.

Sky: I'm certainly not defending KU and I agree a difference does exist between doing this at home and on the road. I also agree with your assessment a "big dog" program is held to different standards, and we've seen that with our football program as you suggest.

However, if it happened to us, as a fan, I'd be more upset the team allowed it than that the opponent did it. I can't remember being too upset at Lucas when he did it to us in 05, but I did want us to get him/them back.

That is when a team is trying to run out the last 10-15 seconds of a game, the other team isn't going to foul, but they keep hounding the other team's guard that is simply trying to dribble the clock out. Foul or let the kid stand there and dribble the ball. I'd coach my kids that if the other team wanted to keep defending, we are going to attack the rim and score. Simple as that.

That's how Stoops coaches. Look at the 2000 OU-Texas game. Mack kept trying to score on offense so Stoops kept the hammer down. When Mack relented and just ran the ball, Stoops called the dogs off and it was game over.

Sportsmanship goes both ways, as you suggest and if the losing team who has no chance to win keeps fouling and acting like they are going to foul when the game is clearly over, then yes the opponent should keep the hammer down.

It's the job of the losing coach to signal defeat by getting his starters out and putting bench players in. If they want to try to keep scoring, then the team that is up should too. Now if we're talking 6th grade rec ball, different story.

If someone did this to OU I wouldn't care, do hope the players would take notice and use it for bulletin board material.

I agree. Baylor was down 15 with 45 seconds or so left (til the end of the game) on Sat and Drew wouldn't call his team off. He's lucky someone didn't get hurt with that bs.

Back