Deadspin: After Loss to Kansas, Angry Iowa State Fan Rushes Court

If that makes you feel better, roll with it. Truth is, the situations were VERY similar. Both guys had unguarded dunks at the end of games that were no longer in question. Period. You can try to justify the tiny differences all you want.

i thought hields was as the shotclock was winding down. i may be thinking of a different instance this year

It's the job of the losing coach to signal defeat by getting his starters out and putting bench players in. If they want to try to keep scoring, then the team that is up should too. Now if we're talking 6th grade rec ball, different story.

If someone did this to OU I wouldn't care, do hope the players would take notice and use it for bulletin board material.

I couldnt have said it better!! If the loosing coach is fouling or keeping his players in heck do a 360 dunk in someones face.

People are to sensitive now a days. This isnt the YMCA.

However, if your doing these things after the loosing coach puts his subs in thats a different story.

If you dont want someone to dunk at the end of the game its simple, play some damn defense.

I couldnt have said it better!! If the loosing coach is fouling or keeping his players in heck do a 360 dunk in someones face.

But they weren't fouling anymore or even playing defense. They kept doing so as long as it made sense, but right at the end, when the game was finally mathematically out of reach, they did what teams do: they stopped defending, and they made it obvious they were doing so. So Johnson whizzed by a bunch of guys who were standing still, their arms at their sides, to make his dunk, and then he acted as though it was the decisive play in a championship season.

Pulling your starters is fine when the game's completely out of reach with a minute left or 45 seconds or even 30 seconds, but not when there are just 10 seconds left. That would be silly, to delay things by switching your personnel that late in the game, and it's not what gets done 99.9 percent of the time. You just stop defending, is all, and that's what ISU did.

Self obviously agreed that Johnson's actions were inappropriate. He pulled the guy aside immediately, pointed out what he'd done wrong, and had him apologize on national TV.

If that makes you feel better, roll with it. Truth is, the situations were VERY similar. Both guys had unguarded dunks at the end of games that were no longer in question. Period. You can try to justify the tiny differences all you want.

They were actually very different scenarios.

In our game, KU was rushing up court trying to get a quick score. Buddy stole the ball at half court, and took a breakaway to the hoop.

In the KU game, they were up by double digits. KU got the ball 90 feet from the basket with less than 10 seconds left. The Iowa State players, a few of which were between the ball and the basket at that point, signaled that they were done fouling and would let KU dribble out the clock. Johnson then went the entire length of the floor after seeing that the other team had stopped playing to dunk it.

And I've also seen you content that home and road doesn't make a different, but it certainly does. In one, you are celebrating with your crowd. In the other, you are rubbing it in to their crowd. However, if a scenario like Johnson's had taken place at home, I still think it is crappy sportsmanship.

However, if a scenario like Johnson's had taken place at home, I still think it is crappy sportsmanship.

Soo.....home or away doesn't matter. Just like I suggested.

And I'm sorry, but dribbling 3/4 of the court, vs only 1/2 the court, doesn't change anything. It's the same play. Either it's right, or it's wrong.

And I'm sorry, but dribbling 3/4 of the court, vs only 1/2 the court, doesn't change anything. It's the same play. Either it's right, or it's wrong.

The only difference I see is you have a Freshman do it at home, aka a freshman moment, and a Senior do it on the road. The Senior has been there done that and should know the drill. The freshman will learn to probably only do that to Texas and osu :)

The length of the court doesn't matter.
Finishing the play when you stole the ball from a player PLAYING HARD trying to bring the ball upcourt versus blowing by players standing still and waving the white flag is the difference.

Ooh, tough guy talk! Yeah, because there's nothing manlier than dunking on a team for whom it is mathematically impossible to win the game and therefore is no longer playing defense. Why, I'll bet Johnson's "pair" is now half again as big as it was before that dunk, so manly were his actions.

Literally hundreds, if not thousands, of teams every season -- in basketball and in football -- wind down the clock without trying to squeeze out another point or two (or six) against a vanquished opponent. Do they all need to grow a pair, too?

There's also the chance of a pointless injury if a game that is out of reach is played to the buzzer. Putting his admirable apology aside, it's almost too bad Mr. Johnson didn't pull a little something in his final childish display. Nothing serious, mind you, just a little something to make him miss a game or two, something to remind him there's nothing manly about being a douchebag.

I personally would not have dunked the ball, but I sure as heck would not cry like a toddler about it. I would just put it in my memory file and bring it the next time I saw the team.

Back