Defense - Tiny and TMG

Was Tim Heskett some sort of shutdown defender and I am just forgetting it?

I will also go ahead and disagree with posters and Coach Capel who think OU's problem right now has much to do with effort.

Not that I recall but he did not get abused like these guys do. I picked him because he was a major contributor for 4 years but clearly not one of the most athletic guards to play at OU in the last 20 years. My point is if Tim Heskett can play an acceptable level of college defense, why can't each of the guys on this team. Dave Seiger is another guy you could pick and he was a lock down defender.

I get that these guys are young but I think several of them have this belief that are so good (and some of them are really good) they will win and that is not going to work in college. They have to have good technique and play harder than they have ever played before. It isn't going to get any easier for the guys that want to go to the NBA so they might as well learn to do it now.

I also think Capel needs to recall some of what they did at Duke and get better at coaching defense. OU has not been a strong defensive team under Capel. I don't mean this as bashing Capel. He is clearly the best recruiter OU has ever had. I just want him to become an elite teacher, elite bench coach and elite motivator.

During my time as an OU fan, Sampson was the best bench coach and got the most out of his players. I would say Tubbs was the best teacher/system coach. Tubbs really had things rolling until all those guys flunked out. I would love to see Jeff Capel surpass both of those guys strengths while continuing to be the great recruiter he is.

Back