Dick Vitale on Barnes

Sam

Reaction score
I still don't think he knows OU exists.
Barnes has narrowed down his choice between a number of powerful programs: North Carolina, Duke, UCLA and Kansas. He also has the local school, the Cyclones of Iowa State, in contention too.
Source

I can't believe he mentioned North Carolina, Duke, UCLA, and Kansas, wow. What a shocker. Jeez, does he even have any brain cells left? I'd much rather listen to Gottlieb's or Bilas's take, at least I don't already know what they're going to say.

Vitale totally does that stuff on purpose.

I'm suprised his still holds such a grudge against OU since we now have a Duke boy running the show. He's a bitter, biased old man. If Bob Knight were the coach at OU he would go on and on about us.

I lose more respect for Vitale everytime he opens his mouth.

I don't think his comments are based on any bias, I just think he is that ignorant. He might get a little better informed after about 20 games into the season but all of his preseason and recruiting tidbits are only worthwhile for a good laugh.

I question whether he even reads his magazine, articles or website. I also don't think the guy spends anytime investigating stories. I think Vitale is nothing more than a male cheerleader for college basketball and at best he attempts to accurately convey what he has been told (with no investigation). At worst he sells his name to virtually any magazine, article, website, or broadcaster that will pay for it.

I do believe he loves the game. He obviously has more knowledge about basketball than most people given his tenure as a coach and announcer. I just view him as an entertainer more than a journalist (and I don't find him entertaining because he has done the same thing for 20 years).

Back