Did the cancellation bail out any coaches?

thebigabd

Reaction score
I am thinking guys like Shaka Smart and other fringe coaches... I can't prove Texas wasn't going to make it. I can't prove they weren't going to win the Big 12 tournament. Same goes for Mike Boynton.

There are lots of teams/coaches on the fringe. Did this bail them out? Buy them another year?

In a year where nobody won anything, is the season a wash? Like it didn't happen? Coaches who only 8 or 9 games will still be judged, but what about the fringe coaches?

I am thinking guys like Shaka Smart and other fringe coaches... I can't prove Texas wasn't going to make it. I can't prove they weren't going to win the Big 12 tournament. Same goes for Mike Boynton.

There are lots of teams/coaches on the fringe. Did this bail them out? Buy them another year?

In a year where nobody won anything, is the season a wash? Like it didn't happen? Coaches who only 8 or 9 games will still be judged, but what about the fringe coaches?

Possibly. But Boynton wasn't going anywhere with Cunningham coming in next year. Fire the coach, and staff which includes his brother, and he gone.

On the flip side, think of the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars this may have cost coaches. How many of them have a bonus clause in their contract for making the tournament, who now are not eligible for the bonus?

I think Shaka stays one more year because of what you described as well as his buyout being quite large.

Back