Dixon Adds Another

In conference, TCU will finish 500 this year and be in the top 4 after that.

In conference, TCU will finish 500 this year and be in the top 4 after that.

Ewwwww. Doubtful top 4. OU ku isu Baylor well ahead of these guys. I think pokes are headed up quicker than TCU.

Couple of thoughts here.

A.) If Dixon turns TCU around it proves the theory of a smaller school being able to change if they enter a bigger conference. So teams like UCF, USF, Houston, BYU, Colorado State, etc would potentially recruit a lot better should they enter a bigger conference. This discredits theories that teams who were formerly mid-majors aren't worthy of consideration to join high-major conferences.

B.) Kelvin Sampson once said (paraphrasing) that in basketball you needed 3 really good players, and then guys to fill roles after that. Get your 3 really good players, then have a shooter or two, a slasher, couple of rebounders, etc. You could tell that in his recruiting as well. He took one-dimensional players fairly frequently.

Mike Neal - 3pt shooter
Terrell Everett - Slasher
Johnny Gilbert - Rebounder
Kelley Newton - 3pt shooter
Tim Heskett - 3pt shooter

Anyway, how this relates to teams like TCU is that if that theory is true in basketball, and I would wager it is, then you are always only 2-3 players away with some guys who fill roles from being really good.

Looks like they are on the right track.

TCU has a lot going for it in terms of getting basketball kids. First and foremost, they can build an elite team just with kids from born and raised within an hour of campus, and that's a huge deal. Second, it's a really good school, with a nice campus that's desirable in itself. TCU should be better at b-ball than a place like Baylor.

Those commuter dumps down in Florida (UCF, USF) and Houston have desirable geographic recruiting advantages, but are terrible schools and not one's that kids would want to go to. Colorado St. has no players anywhere near it, and BYU's recruiting isn't going to change one way or the other; they'll get the LDS kids that can play basketball.

Couple of thoughts here.

A.) If Dixon turns TCU around it proves the theory of a smaller school being able to change if they enter a bigger conference. So teams like UCF, USF, Houston, BYU, Colorado State, etc would potentially recruit a lot better should they enter a bigger conference. This discredits theories that teams who were formerly mid-majors aren't worthy of consideration to join high-major conferences.

B.) Kelvin Sampson once said (paraphrasing) that in basketball you needed 3 really good players, and then guys to fill roles after that. Get your 3 really good players, then have a shooter or two, a slasher, couple of rebounders, etc. You could tell that in his recruiting as well. He took one-dimensional players fairly frequently.

Mike Neal - 3pt shooter
Terrell Everett - Slasher
Johnny Gilbert - Rebounder
Kelley Newton - 3pt shooter
Tim Heskett - 3pt shooter

Anyway, how this relates to teams like TCU is that if that theory is true in basketball, and I would wager it is, then you are always only 2-3 players away with some guys who fill roles from being really good.

Looks like they are on the right track.

SMU proved what a big time coach can do to a smaller school. It has nothing to do with entering a big conference. Dixon is one of the top 25 best coaches in college basketball right now. He's going to turn them around fast. Just like how Tubby Smith turned around Minnesota and Texas Tech. And as fast as Brown turned around SMU...with him gone...they will go right back to where they were before.

Ewwwww. Doubtful top 4. OU ku isu Baylor well ahead of these guys. I think pokes are headed up quicker than TCU.

Don't forget Texas and West Virginia.

TCU has 6 seniors on a 10 man scholarship roster. He's going to need a few years to get them back but he could always land a top transfer or top 25 kid out of Texas and change that real fast. And with Brown now gone at SMU, it will probably take him less time to build that program up.

SMU proved what a big time coach can do to a smaller school. It has nothing to do with entering a big conference. Dixon is one of the top 25 best coaches in college basketball right now. He's going to turn them around fast. Just like how Tubby Smith turned around Minnesota and Texas Tech. And as fast as Brown turned around SMU...with him gone...they will go right back to where they were before.

Lol. Best 25? It was get fired next year or leave on your own if I remember correctly

Lol. Best 25? It was get fired next year or leave on your own if I remember correctly

I would love to find your source on that? He's in the tournament almost every year. He got a 1 seed back in 2011. Lets see where Pitt goes from here and where TCU goes. He was very good at getting talent outside of Pitt to come there, I'm sure getting kids to stay in the state of Texas won't be near as hard. And he's already landed a top 100 player outside of Texas.

He's in the tournament almost every year. He got a 1 seed back in 2011.

I don't pretend to know if he was in hot water at Pitt, but he might have been. He's had mostly decent-to-good regular seasons in recent years, but his tourney results were shaky enough to put him in hot water with fans, if not the AD.

2016: 21-12, lost in first round to seven seed
2015: 19-15, lost in first round of NIT
2014: 26-10, lost in second round to one seed
2013: 24-9, lost in first round to nine seed
2012: 22-17, won the CBI (17-16 prior to CBI)
2011: 28-6, lost in second round to eight seed

I would love to find your source on that? He's in the tournament almost every year. He got a 1 seed back in 2011. Lets see where Pitt goes from here and where TCU goes. He was very good at getting talent outside of Pitt to come there, I'm sure getting kids to stay in the state of Texas won't be near as hard. And he's already landed a top 100 player outside of Texas.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...t-was-a-mutual-parting-between-the-two-sides/

It's well know that it was time for him to move on.

So Pitt thought they were better than a coach that had 11 ncaa tournament appearances in 13 years. They won the big east twice. A one seed a few years ago. And you think he's not a top 25 coach?

Big East was by far the toughest league for years in basketball.

Yeah im saying hes not a top 40 coach! I think I heard "you're right" get fired or leave. Sometimes folks wear out their welcome. He isnt looked upon as a top coach in NCAA basketball.

TCU has a lot going for it in terms of getting basketball kids. First and foremost, they can build an elite team just with kids from born and raised within an hour of campus, and that's a huge deal. Second, it's a really good school, with a nice campus that's desirable in itself. TCU should be better at b-ball than a place like Baylor.

Those commuter dumps down in Florida (UCF, USF) and Houston have desirable geographic recruiting advantages, but are terrible schools and not one's that kids would want to go to. Colorado St. has no players anywhere near it, and BYU's recruiting isn't going to change one way or the other; they'll get the LDS kids that can play basketball.

No one will go there. Are you kidding me UCF has the largest undergraduate enrollment of any university in the United States and is the second largest in total enrollment. It is located 13 miles from Orlando and 55 miles from Daytona Beach.

They have 54,527 undergraduate students, 8,489 graduate students, a 1,415 acre main campus, a medical school and the seventh largest research park, Central Florida Research Park is located immediately south of the main campus.

U.S. News and World Report ranks UCF about on par with OSU, KSU and WVU and are ranked #168 nationally. OU is ranked #108 with Texas the top school at #50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Central_Florida

http://www.ucf.edu/about-ucf/

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

Yeah im saying hes not a top 40 coach! I think I heard "you're right" get fired or leave. Sometimes folks wear out their welcome. He isnt looked upon as a top coach in NCAA basketball.

The article you attached had nothing in there about that. It said they mutually parted ways. He was obviously leaving even if it wasn't mutual.

Not even a top 40 coach. LOL!!!

You crack me up. 11 out of 13 years in the ncaa tournament and not even a top 40 coach.

I would love to see your list.

I'll worry about the Horny Toads when they put together a winning conference record. The last man to do it was Billy Tubbs in 2001.

I don't care who is manning their bench, they're an also-ran until they prove otherwise.

No one will go there. Are you kidding me UCF has the largest undergraduate enrollment of any university in the United States and is the second largest in total enrollment. It is located 13 miles from Orlando and 55 miles from Daytona Beach.

They have 54,527 undergraduate students, 8,489 graduate students, a 1,415 acre main campus, a medical school and the seventh largest research park, Central Florida Research Park is located immediately south of the main campus.

U.S. News and World Report ranks UCF about on par with OSU, KSU and WVU and are ranked #168 nationally. OU is ranked #108 with Texas the top school at #50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Central_Florida

http://www.ucf.edu/about-ucf/

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

UCF is a dump of a commuter school and is not good academically, just like the schools you posted in the same tier. It has a lot of students because Florida has a lot of people in it and they don't have as many public universities as a lot of states have. UCF is the Florida equivalent of UCO. People with options are not going to go there.

Back