Do You Remember?

oketex

Reaction score
Guys/Gals I know we are all very disappointed in the way our men's team is playing but lets take a step back a few years and for some of us it will be a giant step back, before we crucify these young men.

Think back when you were 18 years old and just out of high school, none of us had any experience at what ever we were trying to accomplish. Here we have a bunch of 18 years old kids, a few just out of high school, playing major college basketball for one of the top schools in the country. While they are "basketball players" they must still learn to play at the college level which is twice as fast and stronger than high school. Now I know that we need leadership to help develop these young guys and the few upper classmen that we have are not stepping up as leaders and teachers.

Now throw in all of us coaches and critics and we have added additional pressure to these kids. We have all been spoiled with the likes of the Giffin brothers and now that they are gone we want the same type of players in just a few short months, not going to happen, it takes time to develop. If you remember all the mistakes Blake made as a freshman and think where he was last year, one year of experience made him a Great player, one that comes along in a life time.

Guys we must watch and wait as these kids grow, they will learn from their mistakes but they will improve. For those of you who don't want to watch, great turn off your televison and miss out on the growth of a new team. For those of us who stick around we will see the improvement and development of these young men. I saw something the other day where someone said that Capel's should fired, what kind of stupid statement is that. Just last year everyone was trying to figure out how to put him under a life time contract. Then when he signed this same group of high school kids to OU everyone was saying he was the greatest thing since slicded bread.

Guys, maybe some of us on this board are the ones that need to grow up! Try to remember when you were 18 and the pressure you and you weren't playing major college basketball. The same people who are yelling at these kids and coaches now will be the same ones who next year will be telling all of us "I told you so, I new they were going to be good".

Life is not perfect, we were never promised a 30 win season, so lets take a step at a time and except the fact that our team has a lot of room to grow and support these young men.

Just some thoughts from an old man.

Boomer Sooner!:):ed

Remember we are growing, gaining and will put it together in time.

It's a nice post with some kind thoughts, but my question would be.....how long are we going to keep making excuses for this team? When does accountability come into question?.....next year?...the year after?

I think a few too many in our fanbase have become "enablers". I know there is a learning curve in basketball (and life for that matter) when you attend college. But it seems to me that people are going out of there way to excuse poor effort and selfish attitudes. I won't excuse anything like that...sorry.

Back