Elonu

PlanoGuy

Reaction score
Unless he changes his mind today, he is staying in the NBA draft. Great news for OU.

Unless he changes his mind today, he is staying in the NBA draft. Great news for OU.

Wow, big mistake for him. Even bigger loss for A&M. He is a really good college player.

What does it have to do with Tiny Gallon? I can see how people may think it helps OU for A&M to lose a good player but wouldn't individual players get more from playing against good players?

What does it have to do with Tiny Gallon? I can see how people may think it helps OU for A&M to lose a good player but wouldn't individual players get more from playing against good players?

They wont get more points and rebounds by playing against good players. :)

Elonu withdrew, per Draft Express:

Dominique Archie South Carolina- Withdrew
DeJuan Blair Pittsburgh- Hired agent
Derrick Brown Xavier- Hired agent
Chase Budinger Arizona- Hired agent
Nick Calathes Florida- Hired agent, but may still withdraw
Earl Clark Louisville- Hired agent
Dwayne Collins Miami- Withdrew
Brandon Costner North Carolina State- Hired agent
Stephen Curry Davidson- Hired agent
Austin Daye Gonzaga- Likely stays in the draft
DeMar DeRozan Southern California- Hired agent
Eric Devendorf Syracuse- Hired agent
Devan Downey South Carolina- Withdrew
Wayne Ellington North Carolina- Hired agent
Chinemelu Elonu Texas A&M- Withdrew
Tyreke Evans Memphis- Hired agent
Jonny Flynn Syracuse- Hired agent
Taj Gibson Southern California- Undecided
Blake Griffin Oklahoma- Hired agent
Daniel Hackett Southern California- Hired agent
Luke Harangody Notre Dame- Undecided
James Harden Arizona State- Hired agent
Paul Harris Syracuse- Hired agent
Gerald Henderson Duke- Hired agent
Jordan Hill Arizona- Hired agent
Jrue Holiday UCLA- Hired agent
Damion James Texas- Withdrew
James Johnson Wake Forest- Hired agent
Mac Koshwal DePaul- Withdrew
Gani Lawal Georgia Tech- Withdrew
Ty Lawson North Carolina- Hired agent
Ater Majok Connecticut- Withdrew
Jodie Meeks Kentucky- Undecided
Nate Miles Southern Idaho- Undecided
Patrick Mills St. Mary's- Undecided
Tasmin Mitchell LSU- Withdrew
B.J. Mullens Ohio State- Hired agent
Patrick Patterson Kentucky- Withdrew
Scottie Reynolds Villanova- Withdrew
Tyler Smith Tennessee- Withdrew
DaJuan Summers Georgetown- Hired agent
Shawn Taggart Memphis- Hired agent
Jeff Teague Wake Forest- Hiring agent
Hasheem Thabeet Connecticut- Hired agent
Dar Tucker DePaul- Hired agent
Jarvis Varnado Mississippi State- Withdrew
Greivis Vasquez Maryland
Michael Washington Arkansas- Withdrew
Jeremy Wise Southern Mississippi- Hired agent
Nic Wise Arizona- Withdrew
(Source)

Well, thats settled.

PG: BJ Holmes
SG: Donald Sloan
SG: Derrick Roland
PF: Bryan Davis
C: Junior Elonu

Pretty salty team... They have some nice recruits that can come in and shoot, score, etc off the bench.

They should finish 4th or so in the Big 12.

As of 1:30pm he's still planning on keeping his name in the NBA draft. He has unti 5pm to withdraw his name.

As of 1:30pm he's still planning on keeping his name in the NBA draft. He has unti 5pm to withdraw his name.

Draft Express changed it from "Withdrew" to "?"

I guess they jumped the gun...

Update (3:00 p.m.): Haven't been able to get Junior on the phone but his plans for today apparently include getting on a plane and heading to Los Angeles for an extended workout with the Lakers. I would say anything can happen but anything besides him not returning would be the mother of all surprises. He's staying in the draft.
per Billy Liucci

Syracuse got gutted. Devendorf, Flynn and Harris leaving early. And only Flynn is probably good enough

That's a tough break for A&M if Elonu leaves. I think it moves them down 2 slots on the pecking order:

1. KU
2. UT
3. OU
4. Baylor
5. KSU
6. A&M
7. OSU
8. Missouri
9. Iowa St
10. Colorado (ABD is wearing on me)
11. Texas Tech
12. Nebraska

Syracuse got gutted. Devendorf, Flynn and Harris leaving early. And only Flynn is probably good enough

That's a tough break for A&M if Elonu leaves. I think it moves them down 2 slots on the pecking order:

1. KU
2. UT
3. OU
4. Baylor
5. KSU
6. A&M
7. OSU
8. Missouri
9. Iowa St
10. Colorado (ABD is wearing on me)
11. Texas Tech
12. Nebraska

1.) KU
2.) UT
3.) KSU
4.) OU
5.) Baylor (DFW is wearing on me)
6.) OSU
7.) Iowa State
8.) Texas A&M (losing your best player like this can drop you 3-4 spots)
9.) Colorado
10.) Texas Tech
11.) Missouri
12.) Nebraska

Thoughts:

-Tech is too talented to finish below 8th, but we just dont know if they will be well coached or play defense
-It seems difficult to imagine Missouri going from winning the Big 12 Tournament title and finishing second in the regular season to almost last place. But they had a HORRIBLE recruiting class and lost 3 important starters from last year... Tiller, Taylor, Ramsey, Bowers, English, Denmon. Who replaces the scoring? The defense? The rebounding? Etc from the departed players.
-Nebraska should be interesting with practically a new roster. They go from being the smallest team in D-1 to a pretty big team, but when a school like Nebraska has 4 new starters it is not usually a good thing.

I think this is a nice break for OU. I think there are a clear top 6 teams and a clear bottom six. (depending on that schitzo team in Waco) To me, this drops A&M to the bottom of the top 6.

Here's how I think they will finish now.

1. Kansas - should content for national title
2. Texas - should be the best team in the big 12 south
3. KState - this year's Missouri....they benefit from playing in the North.
4. OU - 3rd best team will end up with 4th best record
5. OSU
6. A&M

7. ISU - Brackins can beat CU, Neb and Missouri twice each.
8. BU - lots of talent, but very young. Losing Jerrells, Dugat and Rogers will hurt IMO.
9. Missouri - losing Demare Carroll, Leo Lyons and Matt Lawrence means a HUGE dropoff.
10. Colorado
11 TTech - 3-13 last year. 4-12 this year.
12 Nebraska - They have NO talent, size or depth or experience and will be brutal.

I think this is a nice break for OU. I think there are a clear top 6 teams and a clear bottom six. (depending on that schitzo team in Waco) To me, this drops A&M to the bottom of the top 6.

Here's how I think they will finish now.

1. Kansas - should content for national title
2. Texas - should be the best team in the big 12 south
3. KState - this year's Missouri....they benefit from playing in the North.
4. OU - 3rd best team will end up with 4th best record
5. OSU
6. A&M

7. ISU - Brackins can beat CU, Neb and Missouri twice each.
8. BU - lots of talent, but very young. Losing Jerrells, Dugat and Rogers will hurt IMO.
9. Missouri - losing Demare Carroll, Leo Lyons and Matt Lawrence means a HUGE dropoff.
10. Colorado
11 TTech - 3-13 last year. 4-12 this year.
12 Nebraska - They have NO talent, size or depth or experience and will be brutal.

I think there are 3 tiers in the big 12:

Tier 1- Kansas and UT
Tier 2- OU, KSU, OSU, Baylor, Iowa St, A&M, Mizzou
Tier 3- Tech, Colorado, Nebraska

It would not surprise me to see any conceivable order of teams 3-9 from the teams in tier 2 with the exception of I don't see KSU or OU finishing lower than 6th.

DFW, you are right, 3 tiers is probably more accurate. I started thinking that while I was typing because Baylor will probably be just as good as OSU/A&M and ISU will win be close to 8-8 this year with Brackins back and their easy schedule.

I think Missou may end up in that 3rd tier though. Carrol, Lyons and Lawrence averaged 40 points and 15 rebounds between them. Carroll/Lyons were their leading scorers/rebounders and Lawrence was their best 3-pt shooter. They don't have any bigtime recruits coming in to replace them. I expect them to go from Elite 8 last year to lucky to make the NIT next year.

DFW, you are right, 3 tiers is probably more accurate. I started thinking that while I was typing because Baylor will probably be just as good as OSU/A&M and ISU will win be close to 8-8 this year with Brackins back and their easy schedule.

I think Missou may end up in that 3rd tier though. Carrol, Lyons and Lawrence averaged 40 points and 15 rebounds between them. Carroll/Lyons were their leading scorers/rebounders and Lawrence was their best 3-pt shooter. They don't have any bigtime recruits coming in to replace them. I expect them to go from Elite 8 last year to lucky to make the NIT next year.

I don't know what to make of Mizzou. They didn't recruit any guys that strike fear in you. But I thought their back up bigs- Ramsey and Safford- were playing really well by the end of the year. So the drop off in the post may not be as drastic as we suspect. And Tiller, English and Taylor are proven commodities at the guard positions.

Outside of Blake Griffin, I think Demarre Carroll was the most valuable player in the conference. The guy was a warrior in every sense of the word. He will be greatly missed. But Mike Anderson is a very good coach and knows how to utilize/maximize his talent.

Is Karron Johnson for OSU definitely not making it in? Are they going to be throwing out Marshall Moses at 6'6" and Roger Franklin at 6'4" as their bigs? Moses is a tough player but sheesh... they are going to have some serious match-up problems with any team that has a decent big man.

Last edited:
1. Texas
2. KU
3. OU
4. KSU
5. OSU
6. Mizzou
7. Texas A&M
8. Baylor
9. Iowa State
10. Texas Tech
11. Nebraska