ESPN: Capel/Barnes story

It was well documented during his recruitment (over a year) that the only reason Barnes even considered OU was his personal relationship with Capel. I seriously doubt Capel is conversing with a middle of the road JUCO shooting guard he only actively recruited for a month or so.

Wait are you saying that Capel isn't speaking to Nick Thompson? What happened between them?

Capel has been working hard on this 2012 class. He's brought several in on visits. This could be a huge recruiting class for us. With all of the recruits in the top 100 from texas, okla, and KS....I would hate for us to lose out on them do to a coaching change.

Capel has been working hard on this 2012 class. He's brought several in on visits. This could be a huge recruiting class for us. With all of the recruits in the top 100 from texas, okla, and KS....I would hate for us to lose out on them do to a coaching change.

Geez. So, how many of those top 100's do you think will want to come to Norman to play for a program that will finish 8-25 and average 2000 fans at home games?

Don't you think recruiters/coaches for other programs are going to tell the recruits to stay away from Oklahoma because Capel is going to get fired?

If he's allowed to stay, it will be like KSU in Wooldridge's last year. Bad team, no support and a long ways away from competitive basketball.

Geez. So, how many of those top 100's do you think will want to come to Norman to play for a program that will finish 8-25 and average 2000 fans at home games?

Don't you think recruiters/coaches for other programs are going to tell the recruits to stay away from Oklahoma because Capel is going to get fired?

If he's allowed to stay, it will be like KSU in Wooldridge's last year. Bad team, no support and a long ways away from competitive basketball.

I guess your answer for anytime theres a bad season is to fire the coach. It don't matter if the coach won before coming here or if he took us to the elite 8...if he has a bad season...Then you turn into Donald Trump. I'm sorry to tell you this but we are not a basketball school. Bad seasons happen to all programs unless your Duke.

NEWS FLASH: You fire Capel, OU is going to have a hard time trying to find a top notch coach to come here. Capel was respected enough to be offered the U18 USA team where he won Gold. He took us to the elite 8.

I would almost guarantee that if Sampson would have started in a tougher league than the weak BIG 8 league, that his tenure wouldn't have gotten off to such a great start with 4 straight ncaa tourney appearances with 4 straight 1st round losses.

Sampson never had to deal with Baylor and K-State being in the top 10 with aTm being good as well along with the usual suspects.

Capel's coaching skills may be debatable. The way he represents OU is not.

I've said from the moment Jeff arrived on campus that we could not ask for a classier person to be our head coach, and I still feel that way. I might criticize him for some of his coaching decisions. But I'll never find fault because he reached out to a kid like Barnes. Anyone who does is hard up for an ax to grind.

Well said!! I think Jeff needs to work as a top assistant for a top coach and then get another head coaching job after he understands what it takes. He doens't have a clue now/.

I would almost guarantee that if Sampson would have started in a tougher league than the weak BIG 8 league, that his tenure wouldn't have gotten off to such a great start with 4 straight ncaa tourney appearances with 4 straight 1st round losses.

Sampson never had to deal with Baylor and K-State being in the top 10 with aTm being good as well along with the usual suspects.

Sampson never had to deal with Baylor or aTm or KSU having good programs because he beat them every time and kept them under his thumb. The fact they are good now is just as much due to the fact we hired an unproven young coach who thought he was going to walk-in and start recruiting burger boys and turn us into Duke.

Instead Baylor aTm and KSU started recruiting the players we used to sign and they passes us.

Really? Really? Is Capel at fault for world hunger as well? The recession, all current ills this planet is facing? 2012?

Wow, just wow. Couldn't it just be possible Baylor, A&M and KSU improved this coaching and commitment to winning? I'm sure Capel isn't hurting but to act like its all his fault for other teams improving and that if Sampson was still here there would be no change in the status quo of other teams is hilarious.

I would say that Frank, Drew and Turgeon are a big increase over the random coaches they had during the Sampson era.

Is it Sampson's fault that Rick Barnes improved Texas to a consistent top 25 power and recruiting juggernaut?

I've said from the moment Jeff arrived on campus that we could not ask for a classier person to be our head coach, and I still feel that way. I might criticize him for some of his coaching decisions. But I'll never find fault because he reached out to a kid like Barnes. Anyone who does is hard up for an ax to grind.

Well said. Jeff Capel is a great man.

Sampson never had to deal with Baylor or aTm or KSU having good programs because he beat them every time and kept them under his thumb. The fact they are good now is just as much due to the fact we hired an unproven young coach who thought he was going to walk-in and start recruiting burger boys and turn us into Duke.

Instead Baylor aTm and KSU started recruiting the players we used to sign and they passes us.

Give me a break. KST is good b/c Huggins came in and brought Beasley, Pullen and Walker with him and Martin has continued coaching kst to the top of the big 12. Anderson came to Mizzou and has brought them back to a powerhouse. Drew is a great recruiter, enough said. Turgeon is doing a good job as well.

The big 12 is finally where we wanted it to be...Top of the basketball conferences.

Agreed it was a nice gesture. It is going to be hard to let him go but we aren't going to have a choice.

Back