ESPN: Ditch the NBA Draft and let players choose where to work

They can choose to go overseas. Competitive balance would be lost, most of these kids will go close to where they are from, fans would hate this.

This is dumb. No one would ever choose to play for teams like Memphis or Salt Lake City or other small markets or crappy teams. Hence the draft, to try to help the lesser teams have a chance.

This is dumb.

The team with the worst record should be exempt from getting the top pick. They made positive changes to the lottery, but they need to take it even further. That said, the draft definitely needs to exist.

The team with the worst record should be exempt from getting the top pick. They made positive changes to the lottery, but they need to take it even further. That said, the draft definitely needs to exist.

Nah. Tanks are fine. Baseball boots 3-4 years at a time and teams/fans are cool with it.
There are bigger problems with NBA.

They should let players play where they want for the first 3 years of their career. Then at that point they enter the draft.

This is dumb. No one would ever choose to play for teams like Memphis or Salt Lake City or other small markets or crappy teams. Hence the draft, to try to help the lesser teams have a chance.

This is dumb.

He attempts to debunk all the stuff you guys are saying in this thread. It's logically valid.

Nah. Tanks are fine. Baseball boots 3-4 years at a time and teams/fans are cool with it.
There are bigger problems with NBA.

Teams/fans understand tanks, but it's a stretch to say they're cool with it. I'm not specifically talking about tanks, though. I don't think anybody enjoys watching Anthony Davis and KAT waste away on garbage franchises.

Teams/fans understand tanks, but it's a stretch to say they're cool with it. I'm not specifically talking about tanks, though. I don't think anybody enjoys watching Anthony Davis and KAT waste away on garbage franchises.

The problem is they don't want to be there. Adam Silver knows that is true. The players know it's true.

• They didn't choose it.
  • They don't like their boss.
  • They have limited control on where they live or raise a family.
  • They may not like their role in the organization
  • They may not like their co-workers

When any of these things happen to a free employee, they go find somewhere they want to be. This increases their interest, their retention, their drive, etc.

It's funny that fans demand 100% loyalty and effort from players, but very little loyalty or choice is allowed to them.

No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice? As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it. I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years. They could take one contract and never resign if they take care of their salary.

No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice? As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it. I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years. They could take one contract and never resign if they take care of their salary.

Don't think so.
Ferguson played a year overseas and then was drafted by the Thunder.

No one makes them enter the draft do they? Couldn't they go overseas for a year and then sign with the team of their choice?

No.... "No player may sign with the NBA until he has been eligible for at least one draft"... Brandon Jennings was probably the first notable player to do this, and he had to participate in the NBA draft. Just like other pros like Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, etc had to.

As for them being drafted for a team they did not want to play on or playing for bosses they don't like with people they don't like well they are well compensated for it.

Doesn't make them free.

I have done all those things for years a time sometimes and if you put together all the money I have made it would not be what a lot of them make in a couple of years.

You didn't have to in order to work in your profession. You are telling them, "have no choice in anything if you want to play basketball professionally, or you can go work at Office Max" or whatever...

The problem is they don't want to be there. Adam Silver knows that is true. The players know it's true.

• They didn't choose it.
  • They don't like their boss.
  • They have limited control on where they live or raise a family.
  • They may not like their role in the organization
  • They may not like their co-workers

When any of these things happen to a free employee, they go find somewhere they want to be. This increases their interest, their retention, their drive, etc.

It's funny that fans demand 100% loyalty and effort from players, but very little loyalty or choice is allowed to them.

The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees make 50-100 times less of an annual salary than those who play the major team sports. There is always a trade-off when making more money. The former CEO of the company I work for stepped down (not really by choice) last year. He's my age...looks old enough to be my dad with all his stress, but makes a lot more money than I ever will. That's generally how it works. These NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players are going to be set for life after playing 5-10 years as a pro, and their tradeoff is that they may not like everyone they work with...wish I had their problems.

That's not the problem. The problem is horrible franchises are rewarded with transcendent talent. I couldn't care less if AD was happy playing for Demps. It sucked having him waste away with the Pelicans.

The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees make 50-100 times less of an annual salary than those who play the major team sports. There is always a trade-off when making more money. The former CEO of the company I work for stepped down (not really by choice) last year. He's my age...looks old enough to be my dad with all his stress, but makes a lot more money than I ever will. That's generally how it works. These NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players are going to be set for life after playing 5-10 years as a pro, and their tradeoff is that they may not like everyone they work with...wish I had their problems.

The problem with your comparison is that real-world employees 50-100 times less profit the organization they work for.... Klay Thompson makes a lot of money because he makes Golden State a ton of money.

The Warriors are worth nearly $4 billion... They make over $400 million per year... with $147 million in player expenses.

Back