ESPN on Newell and Ahmed

Can anyone click on Ahmed's profile and give us the low down...sounded promising. Also, I had forgotten that Christmas has us in his final 5.

Evaluation / Notes On the Trail / Features
Status

Signed

Scouts Grade

Considering: No schools at this time.
Evaluation

February, 2010: While Saer is a long and skilled big man with a tremendous upside, he is still fairly raw, especially physically, and a couple of years away from being ready to make a consistent impact. He steps out and makes open shots to the three-point line, but is more consistent 18 feet and in, and has good footwork and a soft touch inside the paint. Saer moves well, is plenty agile, and a relatively good athlete for a player his size. Physically, he is a little soft and in need of a good deal of muscle mass. The defensive end is also a concern as he currently lacks the quickness to defend a 3 as well as the strength to body up to a 4.

I guess here is the good news, last year our bigs needed to drop a bunch of weight, this year they need to gain it. Thanks KC!

BTW (for anybody), what is Carey Murdock's issue with Capel?

ESPN said:
Evaluation
February, 2010: While Saer is a long and skilled big man with a tremendous upside, he is still fairly raw, especially physically, and a couple of years away from being ready to make a consistent impact. He steps out and makes open shots to the three-point line, but is more consistent 18 feet and in, and has good footwork and a soft touch inside the paint. Saer moves well, is plenty agile, and a relatively good athlete for a player his size. Physically, he is a little soft and in need of a good deal of muscle mass. The defensive end is also a concern as he currently lacks the quickness to defend a 3 as well as the strength to body up to a 4.

It doesn't sound like they view Ahmed (also know as Saer) as a Center. More of a tall hybrid forward. If he bulks up enough, he might be able to contribute next year. Seems like more of a developmental 4/5, than someone than contribute right away. But, then again, this is just one evaluation.

Evaluation / Notes On the Trail / Features
Status

Signed

Scouts Grade

Considering: No schools at this time.
Evaluation

To get a guy this late in the game that has "tremendous upside" is a real coup. Nice job Coach.

I guess here is the good news, last year our bigs needed to drop a bunch of weight, this year they need to gain it. Thanks KC!

I'd rather have skinny basketball players than fat ones. But thats just me. Personally, I think many of the HS basketball players that come in at 300-400 pounds got that way out of laziness. To recruit them and then not only try to get them to lose the weight, but to change their overall attitudes is a lot tougher than just taking a skinny basketball player and trying to put some muscle on him. IMO basketball was better in the 80's when everybody was skinny than it is now.

I'd rather have skinny basketball players than fat ones. But thats just me. Personally, I think many of the HS basketball players that come in at 300-400 pounds got that way out of laziness. To recruit them and then not only try to get them to lose the weight, but to change their overall attitudes is a lot tougher than just taking a skinny basketball player and trying to put some muscle on him. IMO basketball was better in the 80's when everybody was skinny than it is now.

I tend to agree with all of this.

Based on that read, he needs to redshirt and gain more weight than RW could gain.

Capel is much, much thinner than Carey.

We are in his top five. He has been to Norman and he liked it. He has a good relationship with Capel. It is promising that he doesn't list Villanova or any Philly school. It looks like he wants to get away.

Too bad it looks like we are out of scholarships unless another guy leaves(Hardrick?)

Based on that read, he needs to redshirt and gain more weight than RW could gain.

He won't redshirt. He can put on 10 pounds of muscle in the summer and it sounds like he has the work ethic to be able to do so.

He won't redshirt. He can put on 10 pounds of muscle in the summer and it sounds like he has the work ethic to be able to do so.
Based on what I've read on him though he seems like more of a project at this point. I don't know if he'll play a lot early.

Based on what I've read on him though he seems like more of a project at this point. I don't know if he'll play a lot early.

If we had another PF I would say he would probably redshirt but I think Capel brought him in to play right away. Sounds like he has a good shot from 18 foot in and has a good back to the basket game. I was seeing Neal redshirting but maybe Neal starts and Ahmed shirts.

Back