Exhibition OU vs West Texas A&M 10/31 6pm

113-38 final. Starters were Tot, Keys, Verhulst, Williams and Vann. Liz Scott was on the bench in street clothes…a minor injury I assume. Keys had 23 with 6-9 shooting from 3. Sahara Williams had 20 points and 11 rebounds. Jennie liberally substituted all game and got everyone a good amount of playing time. Sahara Williams was every bit the strong physical elite athlete as advertised.

Admittedly it was DII opposition so hard to be definitive but we suffocated them on defense and I think we are going to play better defense than last year…just more athletic and physical overall.

Monday at noon is our 1st regular season game vs Wichita State…DI competition to give us a better test.

Last edited:
I'm still curious as to why Keys left OSU. Happy to have her in Crimson and Cream, though!

She was really good and I was really impressed with Landry Allen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest takeaway from the game last night was that we hit a homerun with Allen. I didn't know anything about her but I think she will really become a good player over time. I could see her start at some point this year.

Also liked what I saw from Johnson and, particularly, Keys. I didn't remember having seen Keys play at OSU (I must have missed the game where she hit 3s against us), but she really looks like a good all-round good player. Williams and Verholst looked pretty good to.

Don't think West Texas had much, so pretty hard to get a picture of how competitive we will be against good teams. But my guess is we will be just fine.

Agree, I liked everything I saw from the new faces and was pleasantly surprised in particular with Allen. I believe she'll be a stud for us at some point, and she definitely appears to have flown under the radar recruiting-wise, and appears to be ESPN HoopGurlz top 100 quality IMO. Sahara and Verhulst looked super solid and it's very obvious why they were high school AAs, and if Keys can be consistent scoring for us like she was last night I believe we'll be a better team than last season. We definitely appeared more athletic and didn't throw the ball away near as much, of course against better competition that may very well change, but for now I'm optimistic we'll be just as good as last year. Our schedule is tougher this year so our record may not be as flashy, but we won't be as weak defensively IMO, which translates to a more competitive team. Too bad the Big 12 is going to be stronger this year than they probably have been in a couple years, it'll just make things that much tougher.

It could be OU never offered Keys under Coale. Who knows maybe she always wanted to go to OU.

It could be OU never offered Keys under Coale. Who knows maybe she always wanted to go to OU.

Total speculation on my part. But Keys could also have personal issues with OSU coach Jacie Hoyt as Keys has been in Stoolwater 3 years and played 31.5 minutes for Hoyt who has only been in Stoolwater for the 2022-23 season. Strange transfer in my opinion although the pukes do have 10 new girls on their roster with only 4 returnees whereas the Sooners have 9 returnees not counting Verhulst and Moser.

https://okstate.com/documents/2023/3/19/wbb_22-23-20.pdf

Last edited:
Total speculation on my part. But Keys could also have personal issues with OSU coach Jacie Hoyt as Keys has been in Stoolwater 3 years and played 31.5 minutes for Hoyt who has only been in Stoolwater for the 2022-23 season. Strange transfer in my opinion although the pukes do have 10 new girls on their roster with only 4 returnees whereas the Sooners have 9 returnees not counting Verhulst and Moser.

https://okstate.com/documents/2023/3/19/wbb_22-23-20.pdf

I wondered the same since OSU had so few players decide to stay with the new coach. They went from winning 9 games in 2021-22 to winning 21 games in 2022-23 and most of the team hit the portal.

Do we know why the first home game is at noon on a weekday? Is this one where they bring all the grade school kids? If so I don't really want to go but otherwise might go down. Also during this WT A/M game I saw someone I thought might be Kelbie on street clothes on the bench. True? Any chance for her to ever return?

Do we know why the first home game is at noon on a weekday? Is this one where they bring all the grade school kids? If so I don't really want to go but otherwise might go down. Also during this WT A/M game I saw someone I thought might be Kelbie on street clothes on the bench. True? Any chance for her to ever return?

Monday is the first day for NCAA basketball…both OU teams are playing at home. So the women are playing at noon and the men at 7pm.

I did not notice her on the bench…Liz was keeping stats in street clothes on the end of the bench closest to the scorer’s table…is that who you saw? Kelbie isn’t listed on the roster…so chances of her coming back are very slim.

In past years, ESPN has had constant NCAA basketball games on the first day of basketball season. That's probably the reason.

From the above oudaily article Liz is out for this season:

Redshirt senior forward Liz Scott has been sidelined with an injury as of late. Her exact status is unknown and Baranczyk offered an update on her status.

“We’ll know 100% tomorrow,” Baranczyk said. “It’s looking like this season is out of the question. She’ll be healthy, she’ll still be on the bench. She might miss a little bit, but we’ll have that released at some point soon.”

Back