Faith 7 Game Recap (Taylor and Neal interview)

GParker

Reaction score
The annual Faith 7 game in Shawnee, Okla. is known for featuring future Oklahoma Sooner basketball players, and this year was no different.

Future teammates and roommates T.J. Taylor (Dennison, Texas) and Tyler Neal (Putman City West) carried on a tradition that includes the likes of Wayman Tisdale, Cade Davis, Willie Warren, Stacey King, Blake and Taylor Griffin.

This time the Texas team of high school all stars ran away with the game thanks to work of Taylor and his teammates in a 130-88 win.

Offensively, Taylor was not very impressive on the stat sheet with only four points, but his style of play looked out of place in the high tempo all-star game.

“I am a pass-first guy so it is important for me to get my teammates involved,” Taylor told OUHoops.com after the game.

He showed off his passing skills as he would routinely look for the open teammate after penetrating the lane, and harassed opposing offensive players on defense to the tune of three steals.

Taylor is also happy to finally be in Oklahoma after committing to the Sooners over a year ago. After a humbling high school season where his team lost 17 games, Taylor is hungrier than ever and ready to help the Sooners in any way possible.

As for the combo guard’s future position for the Sooners, he is willing to help the Sooners anyway he can.

“I expect to do some alternating at the one and the two, and I will do my best to step up anytime they call on me. I know I am only a freshman, but I am going to work hard to contribute when needed.”

Neal’s versatile game was better suited for the up-tempo all star-game as he excelled in getting his own shot. He showed the ability to go off the dribble and penetrate the lane while finishing and drawing fouls for his 13 points. He displayed a sweet stroke from the free throw line as he went 4-4.

The 6’7 hybrid forward did not limit his game to finesse play as he did the dirty work for the Oklahoma squad with 10 rebounds. Included in the 10 rebounds were offensive boards that he converted into easy points for put backs.

Looking ahead, Neal’s future spot on the court for the Sooners is still up in the air, between the small forward and power forward spots.

“I am willing to play wherever coach needs me to. I can step out and play on the perimeter at the 3, but also play down low at the 4 spot. It just depends on the match up and wherever I can be successful,” said Neal when he spoke with OUHoops.com following the game.

Neal is also happy to achieve his lifelong dream of becoming a Sooner with moving into the athletic dorms this past week.

"When he (Capel) offered it was crazy, I was so ready to get down there. Now I am moving in with all the other freshmen athletes. Growing up going to football and basketball games (in Norman) then when he (Capel) offered it was, wow, just surreal.”

With their prep careers behind them, both incoming Sooners are ready to get their collegiate careers going.

“I am excited to get to work with my roommate, T.J. Taylor,” said Neal as both look forward to starting their Sooner careers this summer.

Great interview Greg!! Some great stuff to hear from both of them.

Thanks a lot for the write-up!

Here is a little break down on some other players of local interest in the game.

Jordan Clarkson, 6’4 shooting guard, High School – Converse Wagner, San Antonio, Texas
College – University of Tulsa
The Conference USA bound two guard grabbed MVP honors for the Texas team with 22 points. Clarkson displayed a good shooting form and the ability to get into the lane and finish. He drew fouls and took advantage of that with eight made free throws on ten attempts. Clarkson two biggest areas of improvements appear to be adding some muscle onto his long frame along with tightening up his handles. He is also appears to be only an average athlete for a division one wing.

Michael Cobbins, 6’10 power forward, High School Palo Durro, Amarillo, Texas
College Oklahoma State University
Cobbins was one of the top ranked recruits in the game and it showed as he matched up with a smaller Oklahoma front line. He showed no signs of a horrible knee injury from this past July as he had springy legs that he displayed in the Dunk contest and in game dunks. He even showed a good shooting form from deep by hitting an open three point jumper. A couple area of concerns for him will be hitting the weight room to improve his slight frame and while he was able to hit the three it was more a set shot with a slow release that will not be as effective at the next level. Cobbin’s remains an interesting albeit a little raw talent.

Amric Fields 6’8 power forward, High School Putman City West, Oklahoma
College TCU
In a couple years from now OU, OSU, Tulsa and ORU could very well be wondering how they allowed this talented power forward to leave the state. Fields was handed the task of having to battle Cobbins down low and he passed it with fly colors. He picked up MVP honors for the Oklahoma squad thanks to his 24 point and 9 rebound performance. Like other big men in the game a few sandwiches and the weight room would be very beneficial to Fields but it is hard to not see him being successful for the Horn Frogs. He stands 6’8 with a long wing span and contains a deceiving bounce in his step. He successfully used his size and athleticism to alter and block shots on defense while bringing the house down with dunks. In a game that featured six future major conference players, this mid-major bound power forward turned out to be one of the headliners.

Good read. Thanks.

What were your thoughts on K.C. Ross-Miller and Rickey Scott, Greg?

Great report, Greg! I always enjoyed attending Faith 7 games. They're not as competitive as they used to be, but it's still nice to see future Sooners up close and personal. Thanks for allowing me to do that through your eyes this time.

Good read. Thanks.

What were your thoughts on K.C. Ross-Miller and Rickey Scott, Greg?
Since I had seen both in person before, they did not do anything to change my opinion on their skills.

K.C. remains an undersized point guard who has continue to improve his jumper since his decommitment from Kentucky. I think he will be a good player for LSU but after thinking it over I believe Blair and Newell are better options for Oklahoma at this time. He had a very favorable match up in the game when he was in and took advantage of it with a bit of a "gunner" mentality.

Rickey is very similar to T.J. as a player, but he does not have the natural athletic ability of T.J. Like T.J. he was passive in the game and did not stand out offensively with K.C. and Clarkson being the back court punch for Team Texas. I believe if Capel had known before the season how this year's team and recruiting would play out he would have offered Rickey. Rickey from all reports is a good kid like T.J. and would have been a good addition in hindsight.

Since I had seen both in person before, they did not do anything to change my opinion on their skills.

K.C. remains an undersized point guard who has continue to improve his jumper since his decommitment from Kentucky. I think he will be a good player for LSU but after thinking it over I believe Blair and Newell are better options for Oklahoma at this time. He had a very favorable match up in the game when he was in and took advantage of it with a bit of a "gunner" mentality.

Rickey is very similar to T.J. as a player, but he does not have the natural athletic ability of T.J. Like T.J. he was passive in the game and did not stand out offensively with K.C. and Clarkson being the back court punch for Team Texas. I believe if Capel had known before the season how this year's team and recruiting would play out he would have offered Rickey. Rickey from all reports is a good kid like T.J. and would have been a good addition in hindsight.

Lamb really messed that up.

I think that we def could have used fields...but I believe the kid we signed will do just fine...fields should have possibly taken a spot from someone else

I think the kid we signed is the hybrid 3/4 that is hard to find....I think he will be a better player than cade

Capel may have offered the wrong PC West grad

he committed to TCU early (October 2009), at that time we were excited about our incoming class, and were still in on Barnes and the Terrance Bros. Hindsight is 20/20 but our coaching staff never dreamed of a year like the one we just had, just like none of us did

Last edited:
Back