Frank Haith and TU have a well assembled roster

thebigabd

Reaction score
It's funny when you look at OU coming into next year.... no point guards, like 8 guys playing the same position in the front-court. Coaches tweeting out commitments we don't have.

The other team I follow, on the other hand, Tulsa, has a very well put together roster for next season.

They have a good mix of guards and forwards, and signed their top targets in the early signing period, and have transfers becoming eligible when they are needed following the graduation of some other players.

They won 19 games last year and the buzzer beater Memphis hit to beat them probably kept them out of the NIT, but they finished 4th in the American and have a great looking roster coming into next year.

Would Tulsa beat OU next year? Probably not because the talent level is different, but they have a roster that makes sense and signed everyone they needed early signing period. They are doing some late recruiting but they have all spots filled heading into April.

PG: Sterling Taplin (6'1'' 200)- SENIOR
-Averaged 12 points, 4 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game as a junior. Very traditional point guard. Runs the team, good assist to turnover ration, can score. Very solid player.

SG: Zeke Moore (6'7'' 185) - RS Sophomore
Transfer from St. Louis University. Big guard who can handle and shoot. Averaged 6 points and 3 rebounds as a true freshman at St. Louis. Signed in the early period out of junior college where he redshirted. Shot 39% from 3 as a true freshman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHUAKh_JNzM&feature=youtu.be&t=16

SF: Jeriah Horne (6'7'' 220) - RS Sophomore
Transfer from Nebraska. True small forward who can shoot, slash, and defend. Averaged 5 points and 2.5 rebounds as a true freshman in Big 10 play. They think he will be their best player this year coming off a redshirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEMSNnpi70

PF: DaQuon Jefferies (6'5'' 225)- Senior
-Averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds per game in his first season with TU out of junior college last year. Undersized at the 4 but can shoot 3's and is a great athlete. A lot of highlight reel dunks in his first year. 80% foul shooter and 39% 3pt shooter. Can drive to the rim and finish or shoot from outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mt5ggZxW-s&feature=youtu.be&t=121

C: Martins Igbanu (6'8'' 245) - Junior
-Averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds per game as a sophomore last year in 22 minutes per game. Good numbers in a support role behind another player last year. Good mid-range shooter and even hit a few 3's last season. Should really be a nice player next year in a bigger role.

Bench:

Point Guard Backup
Elijah Joiner - 6'3'' 205 combo guard who was a true freshman last year. Averaged 4 and 2 in 16 minutes per game.

Shooting Guard Backup
Curran Scott - Averaged 6 points and 2 rebounds per game off the bench for TU this year.

Small Forward Backup
Lawson Korita - Started 18 games for TU this year. Horrible scorer but a good defender and hustle guy.

Power Forward Backup
Geno Artison - 6'9'' forward who played a limited role out of juco last year.

Center Backup
Peter Hewitt - 6'10'' forward who averages 10 points and 9 rebounds per game in junior college this year. Started his career at UC Davis. Should play a nice support role for TU this year. Also signed in the early period.

Role Player
Chris Barnes... 6'3'' guard who transferred in from UTEP. Becomes eligible this year as he redshirted in junior college last year. Also signed in the eraly period.

Well after reading this, I realized I'm never going to get those two minutes back. If TU can't beat a team with no point guard and 8 guys playing the same position in the front-court, how well assembled of a roster is it?

Not sure why you hype them , they have not been relevant in years .

Not sure why you hype them , they have not been relevant in years .

They'll be good this year. I have no doubt. Haith is a good coach and they have some talent. Moore and Horne give them upper echelon talent in their league.

It was sad when TU didn't make the NCAA or NIT, but they had a good late run.

The abrupt conclusion to the University of Tulsa’s basketball season continues to bother coach Frank Haith.

Two weeks ago, the Hurricane lost on a buzzer-beater to Memphis in the American Athletic Conference tournament. Despite prevailing in eight of its last nine regular-season games and finishing fourth in a tough league, TU wasn’t invited to the NIT.

“It’s disappointing,” Haith said. “This team was deserving. I know we had some tough losses early, but if you’re looking at worthy teams based on the look test and how we were playing late in the year, we should have gotten in.”

While teams like Temple, which had a high RPI but was seventh in the conference, were selected for the NIT, Tulsa (19-12, 12-6) had to cope with missing the postseason for a second year in a row, having opted against participating in any of the pay-for-play tournaments.

“This team, more so than any team I’ve had that wanted to go to the NIT, they really wanted to go,” said Haith, who expressed his opinion in a letter to the selection-committee members. “It would really have meant something to them.

Link

They'll be good this year. I have no doubt. Haith is a good coach and they have some talent. Moore and Horne give them upper echelon talent in their league.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's it, this board has officially lost it. This board is beyond satire with some of these posts. This board seriously has people who believe Lon Kruger sucks and has lost it, and also has people who think Haith is a good coach. I'm still not sure if I'm reading The Onion or not

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's it, this board has officially lost it. This board is beyond satire with some of these posts. This board seriously has people who believe Lon Kruger sucks and has lost it, and also has people who think Haith is a good coach. I'm still not sure if I'm reading The Onion or not

Don't lump all of us in with ABD. That's crazy logic

Well after reading this, I realized I'm never going to get those two minutes back. If TU can't beat a team with no point guard and 8 guys playing the same position in the front-court, how well assembled of a roster is it?

It was a personal opinion and nothing else.

Abd is a mega fan of every team but OU ..

For those who don't know, this clown is a personal friend of mine off the boards... :)

Well if OU doesn't sign a point guard or address the roster situation, they probably can't beat TU. :)

I am assuming OU is going to sign someone at the end of the year here.

Anybody remember the names of the two little guards that could ball for Tulsa? I'm not sure if it was during the Shea Seal era but they made a run in the tournament when I was younger. I can't remember how good they really were at that time but it was fun watching them get up the court. Michael Ruffin may have been on that team or i'm convoluting different eras in my own mind.

Back