Guilty until proven innocent?

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm no fan of Renardo Sidney. There were too many things surrounding his recruitment that didn't pass the smell test to suit me, and I still believe that something is not right somewhere. But it's hard not to feel sorry for a kid who is being told by the NCAA that he and his parents will have to prove a violation didn't occur. What happened to the common belief that everyone is "Innocent until proven guilty" our justice system was founded on?

Oh, wait! That doesn't apply to the NCAA. They're above the law.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4609922

Jackson added that the NCAA said "we don't have to establish a violation but you have to show that one did not occur." Jackson said the burden of proof was on the Sidneys.

Updated: October 30, 2009, 6:18 PM ET
Sidney's lawyers show bank statements
Comment Email Print Share
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com
Archive

Renardo Sidney's attorney showed representatives from the NCAA Eligibility Center and Mississippi State bank statements from the family's two-year stay in the Los Angeles area in the hope to get the highly-touted forward eligible for the start of the Bulldogs' season.

The meeting with MSU compliance director Bracky Brett, MSU-hired attorney Michael Glazier and Alex Hammond from the Eligibility Center lasted for four hours Friday morning in Sidney attorney Donald Jackson's Montgomery, Ala., office.

"We showed them bank deposits and bank statements for the two years the family was living in Los Angeles," Jackson told ESPN.com. The LA Times wrote earlier this year that there were questions about how the Sidneys, who moved from Jackson, Miss., could afford the housing in the area. The story detailed the connections between sneaker sponsorship and Sidney's odyssey to LA.

Sidney was academically cleared but MSU said he has not been cleared to compete by the NCAA.

Sidney can practice and scored 16 points in an intrasquad scrimmage last Saturday. He isn't expected to be cleared for this Saturday's scrimmage.

"To me that begins a one-game suspension," Jackson said.

A source at MSU told ESPN.com that the Bulldogs wouldn't play Sidney until he is cleared.

Jackson said Hammond said the Eligibility Center would review the information Monday or Tuesday and possibly render a decision.

"I can't imagine what else they would need," Jackson said.

Jackson added that the NCAA said "we don't have to establish a violation but you have to show that one did not occur." Jackson said the burden of proof was on the Sidneys.

Sidney originally was headed to UCLA but questions of his eligibility surfaced. He then committed to USC before the Trojans withdrew the commitment before head coach Tim Floyd resigned in the spring.

An eligible Sidney with the nation's top shot blocker, Jarvis Varnado, would give the Bulldogs one of the top frontcourts in the country.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

I'm like you, this is a terrible situation to be in.

Back