Hardrick

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
What's up with him? Is he redshirting? Is he still injured? Will he play tommorrow?

Yeah, I don't see any particular reason for him to play this year.

I hope he is redshirting....

If he redshirts, that means that he's good enough to play at this level. If it is apparent that he's not good enough to play, he should not redshirt, contribute what he can, and find a school were he can contribute ala Tulsa or Oral Roberts. If he does redshirt, I'm OK with that because the coaches see potential in him.

If he redshirts, that means that he's good enough to play at this level. If it is apparent that he's not good enough to play, he should not redshirt, contribute what he can, and find a school were he can contribute ala Tulsa or Oral Roberts. If he does redshirt, I'm OK with that because the coaches see potential in him.

Interesting, so you are for the Calipari method of recruiting/player development?? You don't believe we should be loyal to a player?

Interesting, so you are for the Calipari method of recruiting/player development?? You don't believe we should be loyal to a player?

Think Capel has been loyal enough by letting him stay as a recruit since he was a Sampson product. Gave him the opportunity to join the team and see if he can make it. So now it's in Hardrick's hands. If he isn't going to play at all because he is 4 deep at that position then I would hope he would want to go somewhere else just like he did all through high school.

I disagree about the redshirt...I know it is sort of a favorite activity of message boards to dole out redshirts, but I think we tend to overthink these things, especially in hoops. If the guy is behind now, why do we want to extend his stay in the program by another year? That doesn't make sense to me. You keep him available in case you have foul trouble or whatever and see what he can do in games that are out of hand. If he isn't good enough, then you don't extend his time in the program by redshirting him, especially when you expect to be recruiting over him in the following classes.

To me, you only redshirt kids in hoops for injuries...

Think Capel has been loyal enough by letting him stay as a recruit since he was a Sampson product. Gave him the opportunity to join the team and see if he can make it. So now it's in Hardrick's hands. If he isn't going to play at all because he is 4 deep at that position then I would hope he would want to go somewhere else just like he did all through high school.

not true he committed to capel

I disagree about the redshirt...I know it is sort of a favorite activity of message boards to dole out redshirts, but I think we tend to overthink these things, especially in hoops. If the guy is behind now, why do we want to extend his stay in the program by another year? That doesn't make sense to me. You keep him available in case you have foul trouble or whatever and see what he can do in games that are out of hand. If he isn't good enough, then you don't extend his time in the program by redshirting him, especially when you expect to be recruiting over him in the following classes.

I agree. I made that point a few years ago when guys like Tyrus Thomas were discussed.

Put me in the corner of don't red-shirt him. If it looks like he isn't going to be a major contributor, use his size and fouls for certain situations in the short term. No reason to keep the scholly occupied for that long.

Put me in the corner of don't red-shirt him. If it looks like he isn't going to be a major contributor, use his size and fouls for certain situations in the short term. No reason to keep the scholly occupied for that long.

I don't mind a red shirt if there is potential in his game... Sometimes it comes down to a raw talent, needs to get in a college weight training program, etc. thing

I still think we should have RS Longar his freshman year instead of playing him in garbage time... He was a project that got considerably better every year... Imagine if we had had him last year in the middle, we probably beat Kansas at home even without BG and we dominate teams inside all year

I don't mind a red shirt if there is potential in his game... Sometimes it comes down to a raw talent, needs to get in a college weight training program, etc. thing

I still think we should have RS Longar his freshman year instead of playing him in garbage time... He was a project that got considerably better every year... Imagine if we had had him last year in the middle, we probably beat Kansas at home even without BG and we dominate teams inside all year

Longar as a freshman > Hardrick.

Also, if you're Capel, you've got be thinking is Hardrick going to be able to compete with the guys I'm bringing in down the road? Jeff's track record over the past three years points to the conclusion that Hardrick may never get on the floor.
In addition, if you're Kyle, you gotta look in the mirror and give yourself a reality check at some point in the future. If he wants to stay and be a Sooner, he should. Just don't take up a red-shirt year unless there is some outstanding circumstance (like an injury). I'll support Kyle as long as he is a Sooner and hope he improves, but if you ask me if I think he is OU scholarship worthy right now...my answer is no.

Last edited:

I think we're not that far apart in our thinking as you think. If the guy is behind, and has the ability to catch up, you then extend his time here. He may not be able to contribute this year, but with attrition like Wright, Allen, and god forbid Gallon, then he'll be able to contribute next year. This year he's probably not going to beat any of the four guys ahead of him out and probably not Honore. If he is a guy that the coach sees as a guy that can contribute at the end of his redshirt year and beyond, then let's roll with him. Like Kelvin did with Longar. If he's a guy that is just not cut out for this level, like you said, don't redshirt him. He's going to have to sit out a year anyway, and a coach generally isn't going to want to redshirt a kid that's going to have to sit out a transfer year anyway. It's why Neysmith didn't get redshirted.

I don't see why OU would redshirt him or any player at this point. OU is recruiting at a very high level. Hardrick a great basketball player but he may be (and I don't mean this as an insult) the worst scholarship player. Why occupy that scholarship or any scholarship with a redshirt season when the guys coming in are all top 100 players?

It seems to me a guy like this should get some time early in the season and then work hard in practice and hope to get a few minutes late in conference games so that he is ready to contribute next year.

Hardrick a great basketball player but he may be (and I don't mean this as an insult) the worst scholarship player.

Given the talent on our team that is definitely not an insult.

I am not as sure as some people on here the Hardrick wouldn't develop into a contributor. He has the height if he can gain some skills and strength he will be capable of putting in some minute. I will say the best I hope for from him is that when he is a junior/senior he can give us 5-10 minutes a game grab some rebounds and play smart.

EDIT: I think we would have to have pretty good front court depth a few year from now to keep him from getting some PT if he can catch-up with his development.

Back