The Impact of Injuries?

pnkranger

Reaction score
If we are truly healthy going into the tournament, what is our ceiling?

We were 18-6 before John Hughley went out and 6-4 in the Big 12. Clearly it took Northweather some time to establish himself, and Godwin's inability to score in the halfcourt hurt us at times. Throw in that Soares and JM were in and out, and we didn't see this team play healthy since the last 9 games.

If we get healthy, what's the outlook?

We were 6-5, but 2-4 against the good teams, plus the UNC loss. So 2-5 against tourney teams. We would still likely be looking at a tough round one game and be a big underdog in round two if we advanced.

I think the ceiling would be pretty high but we haven’t put together a string of high level performances all season. However, it is March Madness.. so I’ll say Elite 8 if we bottle our Houston and ISU performances and the bracket works out. We are *good* when the shots are falling and the team is playing to their capabilities. We do look like that Loyola team. That is just frustratingly. consistently. inconsistent.

OU's record would likely have been identical if we were "healthy."

That's a lame attempt at explaining how the season ended away. Especially the games we just missed Hugely.

OU's record would likely have been identical if we were "healthy."

That's a lame attempt at explaining how the season ended away. Especially the games we just missed Hugely.
This = very subjective

There’s obviously no way of knowing. But it seems like there’s a correlation between Hugley being hurt and our defense getting bad.

There’s obviously no way of knowing. But it seems like there’s a correlation between Hugley being hurt and our defense getting bad.
I'm not going to argue something that we really can't prove one way or another, but his minutes had started falling off in the last few games before he got hurt.

So take that to mean whatever you take that to mean.

I look at his game logs and I see a lot of fouls and not a lot of rebounds.

I think people severely underrate how much Hugley being out hurt our team.

No doubt about this.

He averaged 8.4 points, 4 rebounds, and 1.2 assists, and 18 minutes per game. There was a steep drop off after he went down.

Hugley was a nonfactor in a lot of games. Would he help? Sure? Would he have been the difference in any of our double digit losses? No. Could he have helped against Houston? Maybe, but Sam was great that night.

Not sure how they are calculating this. Hugley averaged more the 10 minutes a game, but yet they have ou under 10 minutes per game lost.
Because he played more than 75 percent of the season before he got hurt. And JM and Waldo missed only two games each.

Back