Resume is Fine; Eye Test is Not

OUSKINS

Reaction score
On paper, I am fine with this season. I do believe they are one win away from clinching a Tourney berth… and while getting that one win is no guarantee, they’ve done enough this year to lead me to believe they will get it. Chances are, we lose to Houston and then the pressure will be on the final week— but ultimately I think we get to 20 wins and wind up not sweating out Selection Sunday. And that is absolutely an improvement from the last two years where we were completely incapable of stopping the slide once it started. Sneaking out the sweep of OSU, winning at KSU, beating BYU, et are wins we weren’t getting the past couple of years.

I also think the roster is a little better which is why the above is true.

All of the above is positive and I’m happy we are at least talking March as the calendar flips. On paper, at this juncture, this has been an acceptable season to me.

But man, it’s honestly not super fun. Not an easy team to watch. I think they play hard and Coach hard. I do not question any physical effort or the desire to win. I see no evidence of a team that doesn’t give it their all. It’s just too much of a grind game to game and possession to possession.

The offensive system absolutely deserves criticism, but there are also times when we miss ANOTHER three footer where I think the talent/execution is equally an issue. It’s frustrating that there seems to be zero in-season improvement of any problems on a macro-level. And at some point when that is the case, you sort of haut shrug and accept it for what it is.

I was hopeful the thrilling win in Stilly would carry over. Moments matter and I thought that was the first truly exciting/thrilling moment of the Porter era. They played very well in the second half of that game. Things were fluid and competitive and it was good to see. But NOTHING carried over to Ames. We followed up a thrilling performance with a dreadful one where we made one more shot than turnover. Pathetic.

Yes, the B12 is really good and the schedule is a gauntlet. Road games are brutal. 7-8 in conf isn’t awful on the surface. But we’ve shown such little “juice” against the top tier teams. One really nice home win v ISU to start the season. Otherwise? A whole bunch of meh. Couldn’t keep it close either game v KU. Blown out at TCU. Blown out at Ames. Smoked by UT. Home loss to Tech. Whenever they’ve had a chance to maybe raise some eyebrows, it’s been a dud. They have one more chance this Sat to make a splash and I’ll be there rooting them on. But it’s hard to have much faith of them actually winning the game. Sort of feel like a valiant effort might be the ceiling.

And that’s the problem: the ceiling. It just feels so low right now. Now, if you make the Dance you get a chance to make a mark. Even one win the Tourney could switch the narrative quite a bit. That’s why it’s important to get there, even if they do it by backing in.

The eye test just isn’t impressive and we are running out of time to change that. The Moser era feels perilous currently. If ever a team needed a win over the #1 team…

Good post. I really believe it is a talent issue. You take some risk relying on the portal so much. You hope its a hit but sometimes it isn't. It is hard to tell how some players from lower levels will transition to big 12 competition.

I don't think coaching is the problem. We looked pretty stellar against inferior competition. To me that tells me it is a talent issue. And that does fall on the coach. Just hoping the HS recruiting are better hits than the portal players

Good post. I really believe it is a talent issue. You take some risk relying on the portal so much. You hope its a hit but sometimes it isn't. It is hard to tell how some players from lower levels will transition to big 12 competition.

I don't think coaching is the problem. We looked pretty stellar against inferior competition. To me that tells me it is a talent issue. And that does fall on the coach. Just hoping the HS recruiting are better hits than the portal players
Yes, stellar job by Moser getting a team with athletes like Moore, Soares, and Oweh to look good against NET 300 teams. Extremely impressive.

And our transfers were not low level guys other than JM. Soares, Hugley, and Moore all played P5 ball. And two of them have been major contributors and exceeded expectations. It’s the regression of Los, Oweh being a nonfactor in league play, and his inability to get anything from his high school recruits that have hurt us. And that won’t change, since we only have one legit high school kid signed thus far.

Yes, stellar job by Moser getting a team with athletes like Moore, Soares, and Oweh to look good against NET 300 teams. Extremely impressive.

And our transfers were not low level guys other than JM. Soares, Hugley, and Moore all played P5 ball. And two of them have been major contributors and exceeded expectations. It’s the regression of Los, Oweh being a nonfactor in league play, and his inability to get anything from his high school recruits that have hurt us. And that won’t change, since we only have one legit high school kid signed thus far.
Well if it isn't likely to change, you can just stop watching and following the team

It'll change when Moser is no longer at OU. The sooner, the better.

Hoping his wife really hates Oklahoma and they leave this offseason. Happiest I will have been since Capel was given the boot.

It'll change when Moser is no longer at OU. The sooner, the better.

Hoping his wife really hates Oklahoma and they leave this offseason. Happiest I will have been since Capel was given the boot.
Let me get this right, seeing Moser fired would make you happier than reaching a final four?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Yall need a reality check. OU can't get anyone better than Moser right now...especially if they fire him.

On paper, I am fine with this season. I do believe they are one win away from clinching a Tourney berth… and while getting that one win is no guarantee, they’ve done enough this year to lead me to believe they will get it. Chances are, we lose to Houston and then the pressure will be on the final week— but ultimately I think we get to 20 wins and wind up not sweating out Selection Sunday. And that is absolutely an improvement from the last two years where we were completely incapable of stopping the slide once it started. Sneaking out the sweep of OSU, winning at KSU, beating BYU, et are wins we weren’t getting the past couple of years.

I also think the roster is a little better which is why the above is true.

All of the above is positive and I’m happy we are at least talking March as the calendar flips. On paper, at this juncture, this has been an acceptable season to me.

But man, it’s honestly not super fun. Not an easy team to watch. I think they play hard and Coach hard. I do not question any physical effort or the desire to win. I see no evidence of a team that doesn’t give it their all. It’s just too much of a grind game to game and possession to possession.

The offensive system absolutely deserves criticism, but there are also times when we miss ANOTHER three footer where I think the talent/execution is equally an issue. It’s frustrating that there seems to be zero in-season improvement of any problems on a macro-level. And at some point when that is the case, you sort of haut shrug and accept it for what it is.

I was hopeful the thrilling win in Stilly would carry over. Moments matter and I thought that was the first truly exciting/thrilling moment of the Porter era. They played very well in the second half of that game. Things were fluid and competitive and it was good to see. But NOTHING carried over to Ames. We followed up a thrilling performance with a dreadful one where we made one more shot than turnover. Pathetic.

Yes, the B12 is really good and the schedule is a gauntlet. Road games are brutal. 7-8 in conf isn’t awful on the surface. But we’ve shown such little “juice” against the top tier teams. One really nice home win v ISU to start the season. Otherwise? A whole bunch of meh. Couldn’t keep it close either game v KU. Blown out at TCU. Blown out at Ames. Smoked by UT. Home loss to Tech. Whenever they’ve had a chance to maybe raise some eyebrows, it’s been a dud. They have one more chance this Sat to make a splash and I’ll be there rooting them on. But it’s hard to have much faith of them actually winning the game. Sort of feel like a valiant effort might be the ceiling.

And that’s the problem: the ceiling. It just feels so low right now. Now, if you make the Dance you get a chance to make a mark. Even one win the Tourney could switch the narrative quite a bit. That’s why it’s important to get there, even if they do it by backing in.

The eye test just isn’t impressive and we are running out of time to change that. The Moser era feels perilous currently. If ever a team needed a win over the #1 team…
OU has 2 top 10 NET wins ... that is not juice ... and OU had that tech game won .... blowing that lead stung ..

I'm just not sold on Moser as an offensive coach.. I do think he coaches hard, players play super hard and usually pretty good defense. We must must add a shot blocker for next season. Probably another wing that can go as well. My biggest concern is the Center position.. How do you bring in a guy if all three of our guys stay? Looks like we are putting a lot of trust into Cole and Cooper for next year as well.

I don't understand the Los hate.. I actually think he's been the best of the guards recently. He has the ball in his hand legit almost all game.. he's really the only one trying to break down the defense and create for others. JM does at times, but most of the time he just uses his step back and shoots contested shots.

I have hope that our starting 4 next year will get better and be very solid still. Think next year is the make or break year.

I'm just not sold on Moser as an offensive coach.. I do think he coaches hard, players play super hard and usually pretty good defense. We must must add a shot blocker for next season. Probably another wing that can go as well. My biggest concern is the Center position.. How do you bring in a guy if all three of our guys stay? Looks like we are putting a lot of trust into Cole and Cooper for next year as well.

I don't understand the Los hate.. I actually think he's been the best of the guards recently. He has the ball in his hand legit almost all game.. he's really the only one trying to break down the defense and create for others. JM does at times, but most of the time he just uses his step back and shoots contested shots.

I have hope that our starting 4 next year will get better and be very solid still. Think next year is the make or break year.
I don't hate Uzan I just wish he would stop dribbling into a spot and picking up his dribble. Last night he dribbled to the right nail, picked up his dribble and then made a terrible soft hook pass that ISU picked off easily and converted into a bucket at the other end. It's just inexcusable for a point guard. He also lacks the killer instinct that a guy like Trae Young has. I'm not sure that can be learned.

Milos is shooting under 40% overall and at 30% from 3. That is his biggest problem. You can't have that kind of inefficiency in the big 12

OU has 2 top 10 NET wins ... that is not juice ... and OU had that tech game won .... blowing that lead stung ..
Ah yes, the Tech game. And yet we just as easily should have lost the OSU game. We have lost one close game and people act like we “should” have a better record than we do. Every team in America can point to a game they “should” have won. When you miss FTs and turn the ball over at key times, you earn that loss.

Milos is shooting under 40% overall and at 30% from 3. That is his biggest problem. You can't have that kind of inefficiency in the big 12
I agree... but I do think he is being asked to do way too much. I mean, JM and Oweh need to take pressure off of him and they have not done that. His shooting doesn't look all that bad to me while watching... like it looks good for the most part, understand that the numbers don't support that.

I don't hate Uzan I just wish he would stop dribbling into a spot and picking up his dribble. Last night he dribbled to the right nail, picked up his dribble and then made a terrible soft hook pass that ISU picked off easily and converted into a bucket at the other end. It's just inexcusable for a point guard. He also lacks the killer instinct that a guy like Trae Young has. I'm not sure that can be learned.
He does need to be more aggressive.. attacking the rim more/shoot it more I feel vs passing it.. his style is just a bit different.

Yall need a reality check. OU can't get anyone better than Moser right now...especially if they fire him.
That's horse ****. THAT is the kind of thinking that holds the OU basketball program back. That and wanting to hold onto Moser when he hasn't shown crap yet. How many bad seasons does that guy need to post in his career before people realize he's not a great coach?

OU could absolutely go find a better coach. 100%.

That's horse ****. THAT is the kind of thinking that holds the OU basketball program back. That and wanting to hold onto Moser when he hasn't shown crap yet. How many bad seasons does that guy need to post in his career before people realize he's not a great coach?

OU could absolutely go find a better coach. 100%.

And said coach would leave within 3 years after it became clear to him that this program isn’t serious about winning championships.

And said coach would leave within 3 years after it became clear to him that this program isn’t serious about winning championships.
Myth.

Our arena isn't keeping us from a championship or from recruiting championship caliber players. Literally 3 of our last 5 coaches have made a FF while at OU. 4 of 5 have made the Elite 8. All playing at LNC.

Billy, Kelvin, Capel, Lon -- when have we ever had a coach leave "within 3 years" for this reason?

Billy, Kelvin, Capel, Lon -- when have we ever had a coach leave "within 3 years" for this reason?

That’s true but Capel was the only one who had made it past the 1st round of the tournament after his 1st 3 years. And he was very close to leaving for the Arizona job.

When Kelvin got a blue blood offer, he left. Lon wasn’t getting any blue blood offers in the twilight of his career.

Myth.

Our arena isn't keeping us from a championship or from recruiting championship caliber players. Literally 3 of our last 5 coaches have made a FF while at OU. 4 of 5 have made the Elite 8. All playing at LNC.
So are you going to give Moser that amount of time to get there?

Sampson, 8 years.
Capel III, 3 years. (But not Capel, Blake Griffin, honestly)
Kruger, 5 years.
Moser, already has a Final 4, but not at OU. Hasn't even been HC for 3 full years.

Also are you counting the Final Four runs as Elite 8 runs? That is silly to do.

Back