Resume is Fine; Eye Test is Not

I agree with all of this except I don’t see much difference between what Moser was left with versus Tubbs in year 1. Both had bare cupboards imo.

To be clear, I’m not expecting the same upward trajectory as we enjoyed with Tubbs. Having said that, his high school recruiting has been very good.

I truly just don’t understand why some are so sure Moser won’t work out after only a ~3 year sample. Assuming we make the tournament, his first 3 years aren’t all that different on paper than his predecessors imo.

As usual, you have some good points, Tiny. Lon K did leave P Moser with some talent (think B Manek and A Reaves), but no one can hold it against the head coach these days for not keeping the talent in house. J Capel could not keep K Sampson's top two recruits. We were fortunate that Lon K was able to keep R Osby and the other major returnees - perhaps that's an advantage of hiring a seasoned Power-5 head coach. B Tubbs was left with one upperclassman to build around (R Whitley) and one underclassman (C Barnett) who could develop. The upperclassman was lost for the year, so that team had zero chance for success. Tubbs predecessor, D Bliss had one foot out the door and basically stopped recruiting while coaching his senior-laden 1980 squad.

If we can make the NCAA Tournament this year and P Moser sticks around, I'll be looking forward to see how we progress next season. My biggest disappointment for this season is that we simply do not have one guy who can consistently make baskets when the game is on the line - hence all the blowout losses.

As usual, you have some good points, Tiny. Lon K did leave P Moser with some talent (think B Manek and A Reaves), but no one can hold it against the head coach these days for not keeping the talent in house. J Capel could not keep K Sampson's top two recruits. We were fortunate that Lon K was able to keep R Osby and the other major returnees - perhaps that's an advantage of hiring a seasoned Power-5 head coach. B Tubbs was left with one upperclassman to build around (R Whitley) and one underclassman (C Barnett) who could develop. The upperclassman was lost for the year, so that team had zero chance for success. Tubbs predecessor, D Bliss had one foot out the door and basically stopped recruiting while coaching his senior-laden 1980 squad.

If we can make the NCAA Tournament this year and P Moser sticks around, I'll be looking forward to see how we progress next season. My biggest disappointment for this season is that we simply do not have one guy who can consistently make baskets when the game is on the line - hence all the blowout losses.

Romero Osby had just sat out a year due to transferring. He would have had to sit out another year AND lose his junior year of eligibility to go elsewhere. Guys like Cam Clark would have taken a bit more effort, but even then, he still would have had to sit out a year.

Just wanted to drop in and give the team and Moser a ton of credit. In the OP I used the term “meh” to describe the OU basketball viewing experience in 2023-24; well I was there tonight and it was anything but meh. It was a tremendous and game and the Sooners gave a tremendous effort. It drew a lot of emotion out of me; more so than any game in years. They really deserved to win that game. Hats off to Houston for their insane shot-making. I didn’t think we played poorly on D. The fight to comeback once down 15 was impressive, especially considering Houston never really cooled off.

Ultimately, the results matter most. If they follow up this effort with more meh v Cincy and UT, then I guess it doesn’t matter much. But in isolation, tonight was a positive one for the Sooners.

Just wanted to drop in and give the team and Moser a ton of credit. In the OP I used the term “meh” to describe the OU basketball viewing experience in 2023-24; well I was there tonight and it was anything but meh. It was a tremendous and game and the Sooners gave a tremendous effort. It drew a lot of emotion out of me; more so than any game in years. They really deserved to win that game. Hats off to Houston for their insane shot-making. I didn’t think we played poorly on D. The fight to comeback once down 15 was impressive, especially considering Houston never really cooled off.

Ultimately, the results matter most. If they follow up this effort with more meh v Cincy and UT, then I guess it doesn’t matter much. But in isolation, tonight was a positive one for the Sooners.
Agree, I believe we roll and earn our spot in the big dance on Tuesday!

Agree, I believe we roll and earn our spot in the big dance on Tuesday!

I don’t quite share your confidence in us doing that. Too many times over the past few years have I seen us unable to carry over a good performance from game to game. We followed up a stellar second half offensive output in Stilly with an absolutely dreadful effort output in Ames. I am a bit concerned that tonight may have been an “empty the tank” game for OU; Tuesday the crowd will be much smaller, and much less enthused. Won’t be the #1 team across from them. If we play the way we did tonight again on Tuesday, we will blow them out. But I simply don’t have the confidence to believe we will replicate the effort. That said, I DO think we likely find a way to win and get the 20th W of season. Which should be enough.

I don’t quite share your confidence in us doing that. Too many times over the past few years have I seen us unable to carry over a good performance from game to game. We followed up a stellar second half offensive output in Stilly with an absolutely dreadful effort output in Ames. I am a bit concerned that tonight may have been an “empty the tank” game for OU; Tuesday the crowd will be much smaller, and much less enthused. Won’t be the #1 team across from them. If we play the way we did tonight again on Tuesday, we will blow them out. But I simply don’t have the confidence to believe we will replicate the effort. That said, I DO think we likely find a way to win and get the 20th W of season. Which should be enough.
right. what kind of consistency is this team going to create this late in the season? i think we win a game in the big 12 and ncaa tournaments. but that is with the hope that what we saw tonight continues. not all, but some. i don’t expect 5 three’s from darthard, but he can’t go 2-11 like he did in the previous 4 games. i thought he had some nice defensive possessions tonight. there was also some great off ball movement. can that become consistent? we know what godwin and soares are going to give us. do the jm’s and le’tre want to get on that train?

Good that Cincy is at home, and man I hope they can bottle this kind of play and bring that every night. Season would brighten up real quick. That was a final four type game, or the Buddy/KU game. So we’re capable of that. Do that. Still wish the crowds I remember from Tubbs era would show up. The team tonight deserved that.

Good that Cincy is at home, and man I hope they can bottle this kind of play and bring that every night. Season would brighten up real quick. That was a final four type game, or the Buddy/KU game. So we’re capable of that. Do that. Still wish the crowds I remember from Tubbs era would show up. The team tonight deserved that.
I compared the announced attendance for this year's home conference games with the 1989 season (I picked that one at random from Tubbs' tenure); I think you'd be very surprised at how similar the attendance figures are. Time burnishes our memories. Just as some fans are convinced we "hung half a hundred" in every game Barry Switzer coached (we didn't--not by a long shot), the LNC wasn't always packed when Coach Tubbs was on the sidelines.

Quick question to anyone who cares to do the research. I haven't laid my hands on a press guide in years.......but what's the single game attendance record at LNC? I know what it used to be......curious if it's still the mark.

I compared the announced attendance for this year's home conference games with the 1989 season (I picked that one at random from Tubbs' tenure); I think you'd be very surprised at how similar the attendance figures are. Time burnishes our memories. Just as some fans are convinced we "hung half a hundred" in every game Barry Switzer coached (we didn't--not by a long shot), the LNC wasn't always packed when Coach Tubbs was on the sidelines.

You are exactly right. I’ve been somewhat pleasantly surprised at the attendance this year. Certainly hasn’t been a packed house most games, but overall, the games I’ve been to, crowds have been decent (even upper level) and fairly invested. Last night was a good atmosphere and fans really got the place rocking down the stretch.

Quick question to anyone who cares to do the research. I haven't laid my hands on a press guide in years.......but what's the single game attendance record at LNC? I know what it used to be......curious if it's still the mark.
13,490 vs kansas in 2013? that’s what i found on soonerstats.com, but i was also a C student.

Just curious who has South Carolina as last four in when they’re 24-5 in one of the better CBB conferences in the country. That 10th ranking in the SOR category sticks out like a sore thumb in your table

Just curious who has South Carolina as last four in when they’re 24-5 in one of the better CBB conferences in the country. That 10th ranking in the SOR category sticks out like a sore thumb in your table
No kidding and 10-3 quad 1 and 2 record

No kidding and 10-3 quad 1 and 2 record
They have the 14th strongest SEC schedule out of 14 SEC teams.

Also, not fair to lump Q1 and Q2 together. They have only played 6 Q1 games all year. Also they have 2 Q3 losses.

OklahomaSouth Carolina
Top 252-62-3
26-502-32-0
51-752-15-0
76-1001-01-2
101-2005-06-0
200+7-08-0
NC SOS280282
SOS2481
NET4147
Best Win10 ISU (H)5 Tenn (A)
Worst Loss65 UCF (A)93 Georgia (H)

They have the 14th strongest SEC schedule out of 14 SEC teams.

Also, not fair to lump Q1 and Q2 together. They have only played 6 Q1 games all year. Also they have 2 Q3 losses.

OklahomaSouth Carolina
Top 252-62-3
26-502-32-0
51-752-15-0
76-1001-01-2
101-2005-06-0
200+7-08-0
NC SOS280282
SOS2481
NET4147
Best Win10 ISU (H)5 Tenn (A)
Worst Loss65 UCF (A)93 Georgia (H)
But if that was OU we'd be pissed, correct?

Back