Resume is Fine; Eye Test is Not

Pretty sure Tubbs joked about the fans wanting to fire him after his first two seasons. Its what fans do lol.

I was hopeful the thrilling win in Stilly would carry over. Moments matter and I thought that was the first truly exciting/thrilling moment of the Porter era. They played very well in the second half of that game. Things were fluid and competitive and it was good to see. But NOTHING carried over to Ames. We followed up a thrilling performance with a dreadful one where we made one more shot than turnover. Pathetic.

I agree with most of what you said, but I also think that there is way too much weight being placed on each individual game. Losing by 13 on the road against a top 10 team simply shouldn't deflate a season. This team has been around .500 in conference play, yet every time we lose, it's like the sky is falling here. Every time we win, it's like we turned a corner. At the end of the day, this team hasn't ever been far from .500, so the message board swings shouldn't be happening. Most of us excepted a few games into conference play that this team would be within a game or two of .500.

I don't know how this season will end, but based on Moser's teams over the last 6 or so years, his teams have often been playing their best ball at the end of the year. I hope that happens this year.

Jeff Capel is the only former ou coach who would fall in that category.

Kelvin lost in the 1st round of tournament 3 times. Lon lost in 1st round twice and missed a postseason. Tubbs went to 1 ncaa tourney (2nd round exit), 1 NIT, and missed postseason. Tubbs first 3 seasons look pretty familiar to Moser’s.

I get it that they both may end up with one NCAA Tournament berth, one NIT and one losing record...but the two scenarios are vastly different. Billy Tubbs was lucky to win 9 games his first year after inheriting a bare cupboard. His second season had major improvement - a 3rd-place conference finish which resulted in an NIT Final Four. His third year had the best player in school history and wound up in the NCAA Tournament - that was dramatic improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 to Year 3. Under no stretch of the imagination is the Moser era on anything close to that same trajectory. For now, I'm just hoping we can fight our way into the Dance. From there, anything can happen. Moser has shown in the past that he does know how to win in March.

You are upset with wet pants bc Moser is the coach.

You cite he should leave even though he was a top hire at the time. Others cite that the facilities and NIL/athletic money are holding us back from hiring a better or elite coach. You cite horses*** bc, of course you do.

TINY says a better coach would leave for better pastures in 3 years. (true, bc every other coach here has tried, even the current one)

You cite MYTH and talk about LNC hasn't stopped anyone from reaching the Final Four before.

I cite that the you have to at least give Moser a chance to see if he is a Final Four coach and doesn't need the facilities/NIL.

You then gaslight and start doing what you do best. You refuse to give any ground and think your opinion is higher than that of others bc it is a "me against the board" attitude you hold dear. It is rather annoying how low your ability to understand basic conversation is.

Moser winning a Natty would validate your "OU doesn't need a new facility argument", but moot your "Moser sucks argument".

I will not go away bc you can't read/comprehend.
What kind of grown man accuses another grown man of gaslighting him? LMAO

Good Lord. Soft as Charmin around here.

You want to continue to take every arguement made by every poster and try to interweave them all. First, I'm not every poster. So I don't give $0.02 what someone else thinks is or isn't wrong with our program. My thoughts are independent. So don't try to discredit my opinion because some other random poster thinks the "orange" LNC seats keep us from winning championships.

And no, we don't have to give Moser 8 years to see if he can make a FF or win a NC. By then, if he can't, it's too late. My eyes, today, tell me he can't. That may not be good enough for you, but it's certainly good enough for me. I take comfort in knowing that Moser has been looking around. I don't care if he is doing it on his own or with Joe C's blessings, but I hope like crazy he is gone after this season. And he can take his culture wall with him.

I get it that they both may end up with one NCAA Tournament berth, one NIT and one losing record...but the two scenarios are vastly different. Billy Tubbs was lucky to win 9 games his first year after inheriting a bare cupboard. His second season had major improvement - a 3rd-place conference finish which resulted in an NIT Final Four. His third year had the best player in school history and wound up in the NCAA Tournament - that was dramatic improvement from Year 1 to Year 2 to Year 3. Under no stretch of the imagination is the Moser era on anything close to that same trajectory. For now, I'm just hoping we can fight our way into the Dance. From there, anything can happen. Moser has shown in the past that he does know how to win in March.
I mean, Moser was still left with a pretty bare cupboard. The big difference is the portal now is easier to fill the cupboard

What kind of grown man accuses another grown man of gaslighting him? LMAO

Good Lord. Soft as Charmin around here.

You want to continue to take every arguement made by every poster and try to interweave them all. First, I'm not every poster. So I don't give $0.02 what someone else thinks is or isn't wrong with our program. My thoughts are independent. So don't try to discredit my opinion because some other random poster thinks the "orange" LNC seats keep us from winning championships.

And no, we don't have to give Moser 8 years to see if he can make a FF or win a NC. By then, if he can't, it's too late. My eyes, today, tell me he can't. That may not be good enough for you, but it's certainly good enough for me. I take comfort in knowing that Moser has been looking around. I don't care if he is doing it on his own or with Joe C's blessings, but I hope like crazy he is gone after this season. And he can take his culture wall with him.
"What kind of grown man accuses another grown man of gaslighting him? LMAO"
-When one annoying poster keeps gaslighting? Not that hard to understand, again, a tough concept for you. Reading + Comprehension.

"Good Lord. Soft as Charmin around here."
-From the one who proceeds to lash out/get defensive after every one of my posts...right. I am more of a Brawny paper towel, if anything.

"I am not every poster"
JFC dude, it's bc I have to explain everything to you like it's grade school again. So you are correct, most get what the posts are about.

"My eyes, today, tell me he can't. That may not be good enough for you, but it's certainly good enough for me"
-Correct, not even close to being in any realm of good enough for anyone to trust.

At least I agreed with a few things you said.

That being said, if you can barely give Moser 3 years, you just aren't going to be able to see success at a program sitting at the Top30-Top40 range. I know people claim past coaching success, but we just don't have the funding pumped into basketball to say we are a Top25 basketball school. Until we make that very big and important change, we will still be a middle of the road team pushing bubbles. There is only so much a coaching staff can overcome. Our offense has sucked lately though, and that is troublesome/worrisome. You would think backside movement would be coached better by now. That is on Moser.

what?
Claiming gaslighting has nothing to do with being soft or hard. It is just calling out lies
Gaslighting is a term used by young women that date dumb*** dudes that don't take responsibility for things.

I've literally never seen a grown man use it towards another man, especially in a sports discussion.

And don't google the literal definition. I'm aware. I'm just talking about how I see it used. Maybe I shoudn't assume that TEvans identifies as a male. That might be my mistake.

Gaslighting is a term used by young women that date dumb*** dudes that don't take responsibility for things.

I've literally never seen a grown man use it towards another man, especially in a sports discussion.

And don't google the literal definition. I'm aware. I'm just talking about how I see it used. Maybe I shoudn't assume that TEvans identifies as a male. That might be my mistake.
i'm not a huge fan of the term either or any other "in" term at the moment.
But it isn't a new term

Deleting.

My response was petty for petty's sake.

I'm just gonna drop it, no need to muddy the board any more with stupid elementary antics (mine included)

WT, hopefully we can have civil discourse again. Heck, if you are in DC we can sit and talk Sooners over bourbon.

Last edited:
Tubbs went to 1 ncaa tourney (2nd round exit), 1 NIT, and missed postseason. Tubbs first 3 seasons look pretty familiar to Moser’s.
Whoa, now! Billy had a whole bunch of momentum building. The first true freshman AA and a monster HS recruiting class en route to Norman.
Now, if we go out and win 93% of our conference games in years 4 and 5 like Billy did I'll happily come back and eat some crow. But I think this akin to not seeing the forest for the trees.

RESUME IS FINE: EYE TEST IS NOT
This is the most succinct observation of the program I've read. Kudos, Skins.
Honest question to all: what do we do well?

I agree with all of this except I don’t see much difference between what Moser was left with versus Tubbs in year 1. Both had bare cupboards imo.

To be clear, I’m not expecting the same upward trajectory as we enjoyed with Tubbs. Having said that, his high school recruiting has been very good.

I truly just don’t understand why some are so sure Moser won’t work out after only a ~3 year sample. Assuming we make the tournament, his first 3 years aren’t all that different on paper than his predecessors imo.

Last edited:
This is the most succinct observation of the program I've read. Kudos, Skins.

Really gotta dig deep to answer that one. If I grab my shovel, I’d unearth that I think we are good when we attack NOT in the half court. Team is good on the break or in total “scramble” situations. Unfortunately, we rarely creat the type of pressure defensively that leads to these opportunities.

I would say this team is best in transition. That’s what this team is built for. Moser said a lot in the noncon about: “defense creating offense.” And we saw that. Moore and Otega thrive in the open court. It was great. They were scoring in bunches (yes yes I know the non conference schedule was weak). Not sure what has happened since conference play.

When is the last time OU had a true transition bucket? Like defense gets a stop, get out ahead of the other team and score.

Really gotta dig deep to answer that one. If I grab my shovel, I’d unearth that I think we are good when we attack NOT in the half court. Team is good on the break or in total “scramble” situations. Unfortunately, we rarely creat the type of pressure defensively that leads to these opportunities.
Yep

I’d say the only thing we are really good at is defending the three. There are a couple other areas where we are above average (defensive rebounding being one), but not truly good. Offensively, I’d say nothing. We certainly could be a good transition team, but that requires creating turnovers and/or a true commitment to running.

Back